Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Sexism is a daily reality for many girls

Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    thanks golach you have highlighted my point very well. When a male is on the receiving end it is laughed off, similarly with domestic abuse on males.
    I was being flippant not serious, and as I said in post #49 I had more female line managers than male in my career, never a hint of bullying, sexisim or innuendo, maybe in many of the units I worked in I was seen as the Grandad of the unit, yes I was usually the eldest, but was also the one with years of experience.
    I would have been married this year for 51 years sadly my wife died 5 years ago, all in all a happy partnership, yes a partnership, we were equal partners, who made mistakes as a young couple with two children, but ther was never any domestic abuse. The best years on our partnership was when we finally got the bairns standing on their own two feet, then it was our time, we had to learn to communicate with each other and not through the medium of the bairns. We had our diffenceses, she liked Tripe I hated it, but we came to an arrangement, she ate her tripe, on days I was not at home.
    Sexisim???in our marriage .............never
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

But is any of this discussion anti men? It absolutely is not. It isnt anti men to recognise domestic violence happens to both men and women or to acknowledge that women are more at risk than men. It is not anti men to say that this type of behaviour happens nor is it anti men to think about what we can do to stop this happening. I am really glad that you were never on the receiving end of the sort of behaviour that we are talking about. I truly am. However, These girls ARE experiencing this. I DID experience this type of behaviour, at school and in work. Not all the time but enough for me to remember it and to learn to deal with it. It isnt anti men to say that either.

Quote Originally Posted by squidge View Post

I offered a few suggestions as to why this is happening and am really interested in hearing what ideas others might have about what needs to happen to change the types of behaviour and attitude these girls are experiencing.
    Don't live in Scotland or Newcastle upon Tyne

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    I was being flippant not serious,
    Flippant or not it still made my point perfectly
    W.A.T.P.

Quote Originally Posted by squidge View Post
    But is any of this discussion anti men? It absolutely is not. It isnt anti men to recognise domestic violence happens to both men and women or to acknowledge that women are more at risk than men.
    I agree with that tbh, wether people admit it or not due to peoples working enviroment/exercise men are usually stronger than women, there are always exceptions. My mother had a real hard time through both her partnerships and through work. I can only hope my daughter will not suffer like she did.

As long as the majority of women are responsible for the majority of the child care women will alway be treated unequally in the work place. And I'm unaware of any men who sort out the child minders, doc appointments , hairdressers etc for their kids. Yes they help care, but usually the female partner tells them when and where to be. It's rubbish, but it's reality, and there is definitely discrimination and lack of promotion opportunities because of it, maybe not voiced, but it's there in society. It's not right, but I can't see it changing as long as women get pregnant and bond with their kids. I for one wouldn't want to go back to work full time and my hubby be at home with the kids, not because I don't think he can't do a good job but because that's where I want to be.

I want to add one to this post.. this happened several years ago.. will not say where.. but it was where I was working at the time.. I was preg and another young lass became preg as well. Now I was married and Hubby and I were well known in the community.. so I wonder if that had something to do with it... but the basis is.. I was treated very well by my employer.. IE when I was unwell or had hospital apts they were very courteous.. now the other young girl.. was not married in late teens I believe.. 18-20 i think. She had several near misses in her pregnancy but our employer was very hard on her. She confided in me and I was shocked as the treatment between us was oceans apart. So is it not only sexism but ageism as well... why was I treated better than her? Obviously I will not go into details on issues.. just that they were there...
    http://itqueries.com/

Quote Originally Posted by brandy View Post
    I was treated very well by my employer.. IE when I was unwell or had hospital apts they were very courteous.. now the other young girl.. was not married in late teens I believe.. 18-20 i think. She had several near misses in her pregnancy but our employer was very hard on her. why was I treated better than her?
    It might be absolutely nothing to do with sex or age. Men get the same thing for all sorts of reasons. One might be a grafter and the boss likes him because, when he is not sick or otherwise incapacitated, his grafting makes up for it. The other might be a slacker, so when he goes sick, the boss doesn't have a lot of sympathy for him.

I think what you are highlighting Brandy is the potential for personality issues, which can affect everyone of all ages and sexes.

Quote Originally Posted by brandy View Post
    I want to add one to this post.. this happened several years ago.. will not say where.. but it was where I was working at the time.. I was preg and another young lass became preg as well. Now I was married and Hubby and I were well known in the community.. so I wonder if that had something to do with it... but the basis is.. I was treated very well by my employer.. IE when I was unwell or had hospital apts they were very courteous.. now the other young girl.. was not married in late teens I believe.. 18-20 i think. She had several near misses in her pregnancy but our employer was very hard on her. She confided in me and I was shocked as the treatment between us was oceans apart. So is it not only sexism but ageism as well... why was I treated better than her? Obviously I will not go into details on issues.. just that they were there...
    I might very well be wrong, but I think what Brandy was getting at was her employer frowned upon the fact that the younger girl was pregnant and not married, which however long ago was not deemed acceptable. And I presume in certain areas of the country is still not.

Whatever it was whether it was sexism, ageism or just good old prejudice it's not acceptable behaviour. That's what employment law is for. It protects employees from hidden prejudices in their employers or managers. I don't doubt some people will use it to their advantage but there are procedures to deal with that.
    It's more to do with how we handle personal relationships than sexist although sexism covers a multitude of sins.
    I don't accept religion is at the root of sexism. I blame people.

Quote Originally Posted by gleeber View Post
    Whatever it was whether it was sexism, ageism or just good old prejudice it's not acceptable behaviour. That's what employment law is for.
    You are quite right, of course it's not acceptable behaviour, regardless of the reason. And yes there is such a thing as employment law, supposedly to protect employees from this sort of behaviour. However, if you are straight out of school/college you are unlikely to know the inns and outs of employment law. I was fortunate that when I worked for a certain company I knew enough about it to see what they were getting away with regarding the younger employees. And also if the young girl Brandy was referring to was only a teenager, would she have the confidence to take her employer on with regards to employment law ? At that age I certainly would not have.

Here's something I read the other day, this young lady is fat & obese:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-25427990

Now that is putting pressure and enforcing twisted messages on young women (and men), the media again not helping the situation.
    But who is the driving force behind these messages, male or female?

Could she not have applied some concealer to that bit on her shin where she has been kicked by a coo whilst obviously trying to apply a calf to sook?

She may well have scuffed her shins at the sookin
    W.A.T.P.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234