Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: under age alcohol and drug abuse- your opinions

Davis Guest

Default under age alcohol and drug abuse- your opinions

Hi everyone
    As part of my course at college I'm doing an investigation on young teenagers drinking and taking drugs . I would be interested to see what everyone elses opinions and thoughts are on this. Mainly in the Thurso/Wick areas does anyone think this is a big issue or a growing problem?

If drink/drug abuse in the young is a 'growing problem' then by default it is a 'big issue'.

That said, most teenagers realise that drink and drugs cost a lot of cash for such a passing phase reward of mental instability. These either turn out to be decent citizens by experience or turn to religion, or both.

The rest are doomed to a premature death or social dysfunctionality who in turn breed the next generation of degenerates.

My message is
    'Go ahead! Enjoy yourselves in moderation, have the odd blow-out, but learn from your mistakes.'.
    Ch1, Vs 1 The Gospel of The Opossum St Rheghead
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Ah, but reghead, if we are talking opiates here, the addiction might well get them before common sense does. And what about those harmless Es that have killed - how many now? I am in the unfortunate position of seeing the devastation of the results of both drug and alcohol abuse - and yes, it is on the increase to the detriment of our society.
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Ach! What the hell, just leave them to it.
    A 1991 Gallup survey indicated that 49 percent of Americans didn't know that white bread is made from wheat.

Davis, after a year of being a student you should no reason to ask that question.

Katrina, you are in the unfortunate position of viewing the results....are you in jail??
    Captain Smee

You can alert your children to the dangers

You can show them the way

You can make them aware of the risk of death

You cannot make them follow what you say. No matter how much education there is some young people will always push the boundaries and will do stupid things even though they know the potential dangers. Nice kids from good homes with loving responsible parents will abuse drugs and alcohol as well as those from a background of deprivation. Even though they have been "taught" to know better. There needs to be support systems in place to pick up the pieces for our young people if they find them selves in need of support and help.

This is one of the scariest things of being a parent if you ask me. You cant MAKE them be responsible and sensible you can only HOPE they will be and give them the framework within which to say no and make sensible decisions. The rest is really up to them

Quote Originally Posted by smee
    Davis, after a year of being a student you should no reason to ask that question.

Katrina, you are in the unfortunate position of viewing the results....are you in jail??
    Open your eyes - it's all around you. Especially if you are working with children damaged by addicted parents.

Adict parents? These people require help and so do thier children. I feel there is not enough constructive help and only critisism from do gooders that dont know the whole truth. Keep up the good work.
    Captain Smee

Default Drink

Not all children are affected by their parent/s drinking. My father drank for years and was very bad tempered with it. This had no adverse affect on myself or my brother,and we never went without. Most drinkers don't harm their kids and my own experience with this while I was growing up never put me of drink but made me realise how easily a weak minded person can become dependant on the alcohol.

ColonelSmee Guest

Default drink

Sorry Alli, I don't agree with you. The mental scaring on children is HUGE. Your father couldn't have been that bad.

Smee2 Guest

An awful lot of addiction going around.

Is this a reflection on the low tolerance attitudes of people today.

Are we all getting like a grumpy old men!!!!

Why is it always grumpy old men?? are there no grumpy old wimen, if not I married a guy.
    Live the Life

Default Re: Drink

Quote Originally Posted by Alli
    Not all children are affected by their parent/s drinking. My father drank for years and was very bad tempered with it. This had no adverse affect on myself or my brother,and we never went without. Most drinkers don't harm their kids and my own experience with this while I was growing up never put me of drink but made me realise how easily a weak minded person can become dependant on the alcohol.
    From what you say I would imagine that you had a very good mother. If at least one parent is there to keep things together the damage is not neccessarily too bad,.

My Mother stayed with him because she loved him and they came out the other side. I wouldn't say for the better but they get along! I on the otherhandwould not stay with a partner who drank, but that my choice to do so. I am very fortunate that my Hubby is not a drinker, as in his own words, has better things to do with his money!But saying that he does enjoy e dram like anyone else.

good for you! mind you I'm not saying that children brought up with even two adict parents are going to go wrong, what i am saying is that a child should grow up happy and secure - it is their birthright, and it makes me angry to see the wee craitures having to grow up too quickly