Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Magpie

Default Magpie

Saw a magpie this morning near Newton Forest (south west of Wick) being chased by two crows.
    Never seen this bonnie bird up here before.

There have been intermittent reports for some time, Strathalladale has had a pair for the last 10 years to my knowledge but not sure if they breed.

They are a pest, hope they never move up here. Before here lived in leicester & there were lots of them. Saw them going into the trees attacking the nests during breeding seasons.

Sorry gerry4 that you dislike these bonnie birds. I find them intelligent, fun to watch and loved them when I had them nesting in a tree outside my old house where I previously lived. Seeing the magpie yesterday really made my day!
    May I ask if you also dislike the cuckoo, sparrowhawk, owls, eagles and warblers that also eat other birds or destroy bird eggs?
    Nature has it's ways that may not be in agreement of how humans want it to be - maybe we should ask birds what they think of humans - wonder how many traits of us they would like and dislike?

Seen this Magpie this morning at the newton walk

That's great you've seen him! He usually is by the bales on the opposite side of the road and then flies across to the forest and walk area. Unfortunately he seems to be on his own

I saw a magpie in Melvich last week, had to look twice as it was the first I have seen round here.

There used to be magpies around Shebster water works. I don't go that way so much just now.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Seen this Magpie this morning at the newton walk
    Did you salute and say "good morning colonel"?
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Quote Originally Posted by Razz View Post
    I saw a magpie in Melvich last week, had to look twice as it was the first I have seen round here.
    I also saw a magpie at Melvich earlier this summer. The only pair I've seen were at Homebase in Wick a few years back.