Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Great spotted woodpecker

Default Great spotted woodpecker

I saw my first great spotted woodpecker in Caithness on thursday. It landed on the york boarding sides of my barn, then flew to a nearby tree before 'attacking' a tree creeper nest box that I put up a couple of years ago. So pleased to have seen it as I don't think there are many up here, and it also proves that conifer forests are good for some wildlife (please note RSPB!)

Lovely birds, but let's not blame the RSPB for the fact that there aren't many up here. First, they probably used to be here in large numbers, until our ancestors cleared the native forests. Secondly, they prefer mature trees, for feeding and nesting purposes, and the conifer plantations you're referring to will never live that long - they were planted to be felled long before maturity, to make a landowner some easy cash. But many were planted on deep peat, most unsuitable for tree growth. The RSPB is removing these plantations before they do any more damage to the underlying peat which has far more nature conservation value to birds than a plantation - tits, robins and woodpeckers are not threatened like the peatland birds (golden plover, dunlin, greenshank and more), so rather than slate 'em, how about supporting the RSPB - the work it does is basd on sound science, not for profit, not for fun either. Thirdly, I see GS Woodpeckers frequently each autumn, and am most certain that they are migrants from the continent.

I did not 'slate' the RSPB but simply stated that conifers can be good for some wildlife.

There is at least one resident gs woodpecker in Reay, lovely birds.

We saw one in our garden - it landed on a telegragh pole near where we were working - a lovey bird - this was near watten!!