Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do the climate enthusiasts make of this?

Nice graphs peeps!

I really love the computer graph from 1400, was that late lunch today or yesterday??

So 8PM is peak time for.... After Eights??

“The human understanding when it has once adopted an opinion…draws all things else to support and agree with it.” Francis Bacon

Ten years is a terribly small time to measure climate change imho.

A similar Met Office / climate change debate (over an even shorter period of time!) was covered in a podcast on the BBC for More or Less that I can wholeheartedly recommend whatever your opinion,

at http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/moreorless/all

scroll down to:

Climate bet; Africa Cup of Nations 20 Jan 2012 Fri, 20 Jan 12

Duration:
    10 mins
    A four-year bet about global warming between two scientists is settled. In 2008, after there had been no new record for the global average temperature set since 1998, David Whitehouse and James Annan disagreed over whether there would be a new record by 2011. As the UK Meteorological Office publishes the figures for the past year, presenter Tim Harford brings the two scientists together. Who has won, and does the victory tell us anything about global warming? Plus, Peter Stott from the Met Office tells us how the world’s temperature is measured. Also in the programme: sports statistician Robert Mastrodomenico attempts to predict the results of the 2012 Africa Cup of Nations football tournament. Will his numerical analysis impress the BBC’s African football expert Farayi Mungazi? This programme was originally broadcast on the BBC World Service.

Strange. I believe I responded to Bill's post #5, but I don't see it nor the rest of the posts on page 1 now. Anyone got an explanation?

Quote Originally Posted by ywindythesecond View Post
    Strange. I believe I responded to Bill's post #5, but I don't see it nor the rest of the posts on page 1 now. Anyone got an explanation?
    I believe that Bill has his own mind to assess any complaints about the forum's moderation policy wrt wind farms but I'm sure it must have some genuine basis in fact and reason. I'm happy to impartially assist Bill in any objection that you have, in fact I'm enthusiastically motivated that Bill has all the facts about your complaint at his disposal.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

I like the bottom graph in post #20 showing recorded temperature levels from as far back as the 1400's...not bad at all considering Galileo didn't even think of making a temperature recording instrument until nigh on 1600...the 200 odd years prior to that seem to be typical of the governments policies, not just on climate change. If it doesn't exist, make it up..if it doesn't work out, fabricate it and if it doesn't cost the population, drop it!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Gaz View Post
    I like the bottom graph in post #20 showing recorded temperature levels from as far back as the 1400's...not bad at all considering Galileo didn't even think of making a temperature recording instrument until nigh on 1600...the 200 odd years prior to that seem to be typical of the governments policies, not just on climate change. If it doesn't exist, make it up..if it doesn't work out, fabricate it and if it doesn't cost the population, drop it!
    There are other ways of determining temperature without man-made instruments & recording, eg. Tree rings...
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    I believe that Bill has his own mind to assess any complaints about the forum's moderation policy wrt wind farms but I'm sure it must have some genuine basis in fact and reason. I'm happy to impartially assist Bill in any objection that you have, in fact I'm enthusiastically motivated that Bill has all the facts about your complaint at his disposal.
    My original post and the subsequent ones on page one have now been restored, perhaps it was just a glitch. But I am intrigued by what you refer to as "Bill has all the facts about your complaint at his disposal". I have not made any recent complaint, what are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Alrock View Post
    There are other ways of determining temperature without man-made instruments & recording, eg. Tree rings...
    hmm, can't say i've seen many 600 year old trees around...maybe they've all been cut down to check what temperature it was back then

Then again, there's plenty of old dinosaurs and fossils in the government, can we chop these down to check the hot air temperature?

Mind if global warming is real just wait a while and those friendly wee lizards will grow a bit and be chasing you around as a snacklet :0))

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    That is exactly my point orkneycadian. If I was to frame the point that man-made gases were having a substantial effect on global temperatures then I need to take data from over a longer time frame so you can see how temperatures have gone up since the industrial revolution.
    Thats a bit rude of the anti-wind brigade to go doing that to try and distort the facts. Is this a common tactic of theirs Rheghead?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12