Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dundee

As Golach says - We are known for (to some, clearly not all) - Jute, Jam And Journalism, two Universities - Dundee and Abertay, two shopping centres, when I was there, three cinemas, one ice rink, as previously mentioned - The Discovery (Captain Scott's Ship) which I watched being brought home in 1986, and The Unicorn, A major teaching hospital - Ninewells, a brand new Victoria and Albert Museum which will be situated on the Waterfront which is going through a 1 billion pound regeneration programme, along with new hotels, housing and so on. I could go on. Yes mi16, Dundee has a problem with drug addicts, as does just about everywhere else in Britain including your precious Caithness, this area is not immune. I could list all of Thurso and Wick's bad points, but unlike certain people on this thread, I have no wish to hurt or insult people that are from this area. So, as you can gather, I'm proud of where I'm from.

Quote Originally Posted by cptdodger View Post
    as you can gather, I'm proud of where I'm from.
    good for you
    W.A.T.P.

Quote Originally Posted by cptdodger View Post
    As Golach says - We are known for (to some, clearly not all) - Jute, Jam And Journalism, two Universities - Dundee and Abertay, two shopping centres, when I was there, three cinemas, one ice rink, as previously mentioned - The Discovery (Captain Scott's Ship) which I watched being brought home in 1986, and The Unicorn, A major teaching hospital - Ninewells, a brand new Victoria and Albert Museum which will be situated on the Waterfront which is going through a 1 billion pound regeneration programme, along with new hotels, housing and so on. I could go on. Yes mi16, Dundee has a problem with drug addicts, as does just about everywhere else in Britain including your precious Caithness, this area is not immune. I could list all of Thurso and Wick's bad points, but unlike certain people on this thread, I have no wish to hurt or insult people that are from this area. So, as you can gather, I'm proud of where I'm from.
    I have lived in Caithness for 30 years now, moved here in October 1983. I am originally from Dundee though and both places have their good points as well as some bad points. This is the way of where-ever you live, good and bad points.

Also not forgetting Dundee has two Football Teams, Dundee at Dens Park and Dundee United at Tannadice Park. So there is plenty of action in Dundee for Football Fans.

I have well over 1000 Photographs of Old Dundee some dating back to the 1880's, but here are 3 Photo's from my Youth when I lived in Dundee :-

This is a Pic of "The Swannie Ponds" where I spent of my time during the Summer Holidays in 1958 - 1961

This is Gussie Park where the Carnival used to set up every year, spent a lot of money here I did, Circa 1960

Here is Pic of the "Old Wellgate" Circa 1963 just before Christmas.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

I vaguely remember The Wellgate looking like that (I was born in '63). If you have access to Facebook Kodiak, there are two groups - Local Photos (Dundee) and Lost Dundee, both groups have amazing photo's of Dundee on there, going back before The Caird Hall was built.

Although I was born in Thurso, from 1946 I lived on various farms on the Cars e o Gowrie, went to School in places like Abernyte, Kilspinde, Inchture and finally my secondary at Invergowrie, went to work in 1955 as a Creeler in Thomson and Shepherd's Carpet mill in Taylors Lane , off the Perth Road. I then joined my first ship the MV Broughty a DP&L ship in 1956.
    good and some bad memories of Dundee, but sadly I have never found a substitute for a Wallace's ingan Bridie any where on my travels
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12