Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Removing moss fro rooves, is it worth doing

Default Removing moss fro rooves, is it worth doing

Removing moss from roove's
    Our roof (East and West facing) has accumulated a fair amount of moss over the years, and we are now thinking about having it cleaned.
    Searches on the internet have come up with mixed advice with some saying it is beneficial, and some saying that removing the moss will make the roof more porous.
    If we were to go ahead with this, there is a treatment which would prevent it growing back?
    Michael Stone is innocent.
    Convicted without any forensic evidence and failed to be picked at any ID parade
    So who did kill Lin & Megan Russell
    http://www.michaelstone.co.uk/

I can't see any harm in cleaning the roof. The biggest danger will be whoever goes up there doesn't disturb the existing roof fabric. Best of luck with the preventative stuff.
    Many years ago when I worked south and on more than one occasion after building new extensions on big houses we had to pour slurry down the sparkling new clay tile roof to attract the very stuff your trying to get rid of.

i worked with a few older slater/ tilers and most of them maintained that if you ran a copper wire on either side of the roof peak that would stop the green mould. i have seen some roofs done this way & have to admit they were moss free.
    something in the copper.
    ps, the wire was clipped to the top tiles .

Quote Originally Posted by Anfield View Post
    Removing moss from roove'sOur roof (East and West facing) has accumulated a fair amount of moss over the years, and we are now thinking about having it cleaned.Searches on the internet have come up with mixed advice with some saying it is beneficial, and some saying that removing the moss will make the roof more porous.If we were to go ahead with this, there is a treatment which would prevent it growing back?
    you could get in touch with Wickblast not sure of there number, you could ask them to blast roof and then apply a product called Litchenite this should stop or atleast lessen regrowth

WICKBLAST 01955603454 or mob.07769954475 ask for Graeme .

Quote Originally Posted by jacko View Post
    i worked with a few older slater/ tilers and most of them maintained that if you ran a copper wire on either side of the roof peak that would stop the green mould. i have seen some roofs done this way & have to admit they were moss free.
    something in the copper.
    ps, the wire was clipped to the top tiles .
    It's the elctrolites in the copper that prevents moss from forming.
    A 1991 Gallup survey indicated that 49 percent of Americans didn't know that white bread is made from wheat.

If the roof covering is of slate either Caithness or Welsh/Spanish/Chinese/Canadian...there should be no problem when cleaning as long as the cleaning action is from the top down thus preventing moss/soil etc from being pushed up between the slate gaps (as this is for roof drainage)... if they are of a clay tile type there may be damage beneath any moss as they can get a little flakey...again in a clean down action... Concrete tiles loose their resin coating after few weathering years which allows a key for moss growth...the moss roots can work their way through the porous concrete and start to drip in wet weather onto the felt often found underneath... if there is no under-felt this can cause damp patches in the building beneath it...algae also loves concrete tiles creating a further key for moss... the more the roof is sheltered from the sun the more the moss will grow... most roof covering in the last 50 years tend to have a felt based underlay...this is a bitumen bonded pressed paper fabric with strands, often nylon running through it to add strength when laying... Modern under-slaters felt tends to be of a breathable material which is lighter and covers faster... if either of these are under the roof covering there is more protection from the elements as well as any pressure washing you may be considering... Although cleaning and painting the roof is a modern idea, it has problems as it often seals any gaps left for water drainage as well as adding the potential for the roof to sweat causing timber decay in the roofs structure...
    A copper wire/strand/strip is a slow method of moss removal as it needs the weather to make it oxidise. It is this oxidisation, when washed down the roof that poisons the moss via its roots...Hope this helps...Angel...
    I'm not perfect, which is a shame really, as everyone else is!