Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Do highland council sell roads/building materials ?

Default Do highland council sell roads/building materials ?

Just wondering if anyone knows whether Highland Council sell or supply building/roads material to private individuals or companies for construction ? By that I mean aggregate and shingle for drives and in-fill. If they don't then there is a scam going on very close to me and its costing our council tax budget.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can cast some light on this.

GNG
    Green but not brainwashed

Using the sun to provide hot water.
    Driving a car that gets 73 miles per gallon.....

They shouldn't be selling anything. They only buy in and use the materials themselves unless they have a sub-contractor who is using their stock. Money shouldn't be changing hands though under any circumstances. If joe public is helping himself then it is theft, even if he "pays" a council worker for it as it isn't for sale.

They're in trouble now.

They've been anonymously gossiped about on the Org!

Tilly Teckel Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sids View Post
    They're in trouble now.

They've been anonymously gossiped about on the Org!

Seriously, people are soooo goddam passive aggressive round here!

Don't see why they wouldn't, or if they did, why it would be a crime.

Over here, Orkney Islands Council sell all kinds of aggregate, stones, tar and other materials from their quarry. All legit and above board, and probably a useful income stream for them.

Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post

Over here, Orkney Islands Council sell all kinds of aggregate, stones, tar and other materials from their quarry. All legit and above board, and probably a useful income stream for them.
    Do they know that Big Gaz off the internet is heading over there to sort them out?

Quote Originally Posted by sids View Post
    Do they know that Big Gaz off the internet is heading over there to sort them out?
    just why would i be heading anywhere to sort anybody out? behave!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Gaz View Post
    They shouldn't be selling anything. They only buy in and use the materials themselves unless they have a sub-contractor who is using their stock. Money shouldn't be changing hands though under any circumstances. If joe public is helping himself then it is theft, even if he "pays" a council worker for it as it isn't for sale.
    If theft or fraud is being committed then its not just a case of "joe public" helping him/herself. Two Highland Council trucks appeared and dumped full loads of material to the site around 0830 last friday morning. Its a private building development just outside Reay. They are not the first council trucks which have delivered to the site, and it didn't appear to be quite right to me, so I took some photos. I don't intend to pursue this if it's cosher, but will be taking it up with the Council if its dodgy. Which is why I asked the question in the first place.

You sure it wasn't J.T.Cormacks trucks? they are yellow, same as the council

Quote Originally Posted by Big Gaz View Post
    You sure it wasn't J.T.Cormacks trucks? they are yellow, same as the council
    No they were clearly Highland Council trucks with the logo on the doors. Some neighbours saw the same and have asked the same question about Highland Council.

Quote Originally Posted by Green_not_greed View Post
    Just wondering if anyone knows whether Highland Council sell or supply building/roads material to private individuals or companies for construction ? By that I mean aggregate and shingle for drives and in-fill. If they don't then there is a scam going on very close to me and its costing our council tax budget.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can cast some light on this.
    GNG

I would imagine it would be the Highland Council you should be contacting about this. If it is legitimate, that's fine, if not, then it is down to them to investigate. But unless you speak to them directly, you're not going to know either way.

Seems like Reay is a centre for intrigue and skulduggery who'd of thought it lol

Quote Originally Posted by RagnarRocks View Post
    Seems like Reay is a centre for intrigue and skulduggery who'd of thought it lol

Don't forget the supposition, opposition and propositions!!

The council lorries could have been contracted to make the deliveries.

This was a regular occurrance many years ago in the quarries in and around Inverness. Not the first time 2" ballast for British Rail arrived on a Council lorry passing Daviot quarry empty on his way to pick up sand from Torvean.
    Making tomorrow`s memories today