Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Independent Scotland and EU Immigration

Quote Originally Posted by squidge View Post
    Of the two million net migrants to the UK from the eight eastern european countries that joined the EU in 2004 just 13000 people have claimed jobseekers allowance. ( guardian March 2013). This is most likely to be people who have been here up to nine years worked here and paid national insurance and therefore are entitled to claim because they have paid in. Just like you and me.

UK Nationals are 2.5 times more likely to claim benefits than immigrants.

in 2007/8 it was found that the proportion of new social lets to foreign nationals was 6.5% (with 1.1% going to members of EU8 countries, 1.8% to EEA nationals, and the remaining 3.8% to non-EU residents).

Higher immigration means a larger working population which benefits the economy and reduces national debt. It is true to say that people moving here when young grow older and some suggest they become a burden which the Uk (and Scotland) could do without. But that ignores the fact that someone moving here in their 20s may work for 40 years, paying in and contributing to the economy.

The suggestion that health tourism by immigrants seeking to exploit our NHS has also been shown to be nonsense. anoher smoke screen policy by this government to give the illusion that they are doing something by doing nothing or doing something which makes almost no difference to anything. At 0.6% of the NHS budget this issue is a nothing issue - in fact it is said that the Government is to blame for almost 25% of this figure because they simply dont bother to claim back the costs where they could do so.

Training our young people and better apprenticeships and better help for those unemployed to return to work is vital but not at the expense of immigration. The two are complimentary not exclusive. To suggest that immigrants are "taking our jobs" is as untrue now as it was in the 50s, 60s and before. IT was said about West Indians, pakistanis and bangladeshis; The same comments were made about poles, jews, ukranians after WW2 im surprised no one has added "they are taking our women too" IT makes about as much sense.

http://fullfact.org/factchecks/immig...benefits-28846
    They can have our women.

Quote Originally Posted by RagnarRocks View Post
    Just curious how people feel should Scotland become independent and stay within the EU. I'm not an expert on this but it would appear that the social benefits of living I'm Scotland will out strip those available to the United Kimgdom, .i.e ,free prescriptions, free education etc Given that the United Kingdom is currently feeling the effects of immigration from within the EU would Scotland then become the new place to go for a life and how would it affect the social dynamics of such a small country and the countries budget.
    well we've had our go, now RagnarRocks old boy, perhaps you can enlighten the debate with your opinion.

with regard to immigrants taking us women folk, at present there are 2,577,140 men and 2,736,460 women in Scotland. so you guys should not feel too threatened! but then some of those eastern Europeans are quite hunky, don't cha think

[QUOTE= but then some of those eastern Europeans are quite hunky, don't cha think[/QUOTE]

NO. But what ever floats your boat.
    You don't have to be mad to know me but it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Bradey View Post
    well we've had our go, now RagnarRocks old boy, perhaps you can enlighten the debate with your opinion.
    Well not that old to be fair.
    My views on immigration are varied, if we are attracting hard working honest people then its not a problem, but if we find that large numbers of people are arriving and not adding only taking then its a problem.
    I have always held the opinion that free trade between nations is to be encouraged and migration of workers around the EU is in itself a good thing, but if one nation then finds itself bearing the costs of a disproportionate amount of social benefits due to migrants moving purely to gain better circumstances without any intention of benefiting the host nation then some redress must be considered.

Quote Originally Posted by RagnarRocks View Post
    Well not that old to be fair.My views on immigration are varied, if we are attracting hard working honest people then its not a problem, but if we find that large numbers of people are arriving and not adding only taking then its a problem.I have always held the opinion that free trade between nations is to be encouraged and migration of workers around the EU is in itself a good thing, but if one nation then finds itself bearing the costs of a disproportionate amount of social benefits due to migrants moving purely to gain better circumstances without any intention of benefiting the host nation then some redress must be considered.
    I very much agree with you, but is worrying when you see on tv programs the many gangs of pick pockets, shoplifters, sexual predators etc. many of them made up of immigrants (migrant workers) . even taking into account the scare mongery tactics of the media this is still a big concern, and should be to all, proper screening of immigrants must take place. and I stand by what I said about there not being enough jobs to go round. there you go, not so old boy.
    Last edited by Mrs Bradey; 14-Nov-13 at 14:22. Reason: it was wrote bad !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12