Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Some mistake, surely?

Default Some mistake, surely?

There are pictures in the new section of the new children's home, with crates of WELSH slate ready to go on the roof. Is it no longer possible to buy Caithness slates?
    I really hate being bipolar. It's awesome!!!

A childrens home is no place for racism
    W.A.T.P.

it probably cheaper

A sign of the times I'm afraid, George.

I know nothing about it, but are Caithness slates not much heavier?

Maybe not suitable for all designs of building.

Quote Originally Posted by john w View Post
    A sign of the times I'm afraid, George.
    Want to take a guess at when Welsh and Ballachulish slates were first commonly used in Caithness?

Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    A childrens home is no place for racism
    Why are you calling George a racist? that's pretty low, even from you!. The way i also see it is that there is a perfectly good supply of slate on our own doorstep so why haul the slate from 1000 miles away?

Quote Originally Posted by sids View Post
    I know nothing about it, but are Caithness slates not much heavier?

Maybe not suitable for all designs of building.
    Caithness slates are big and heavy and I am sure very very expensive. Ballachulish slates are all second hand as they have not been quarried for many years. Welsh slates were the most common new slates until Spanish slates became more competetive probably about 25 years ago. I don't know what the modern practice is but it won't be Caithness slates.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Gaz View Post
    Why are you calling George a racist? that's pretty low, even from you!. The way i also see it is that there is a perfectly good supply of slate on our own doorstep so why haul the slate from 1000 miles away?
    I never called anyone a racist, try reading a post in context
    W.A.T.P.

Welcome to the 21st century. Where tatties come from England or further afield, vegetables get flown in from half way round the world, and slates get quarried on Mars.

Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post
    Welcome to the 21st century. Where tatties come from England or further afield, vegetables get flown in from half way round the world, and slates get quarried on Mars.
    And there was I naively thinking men came from mars and women from Venus,but tatties from England well unruddybelievable :0))

Welsh slate is lighter and of a more regular sizing and is a superior product...it is easier to lay because it is regular in size and thickness as well as easier to haul about... Caithness slate has its own properties that would fit in up here in Caithness either new, which is financially a no go, or second hand which is seriously heavy labour intensive. Enough plus some is required before the start of any job as running out is not an option as any extras would stand out like a sore thumb. I have caithness slate from 4 reroofed houses on my house which were collected over 3 years to ensure enough coverage... these can be mixed grades and sized so as to look natural and consistent on the roof and gives an aesthetically pleasing effect... my current project was to source 200 square metres to cover a 160 square metre roof... I was lucky, as I found them all in one place, still on a roof 25 miles away from their new destination... completed their removal and transportation this very day... the man hours of 5 people, transport costs alone would have bought the welsh slate outright...and I have still not paid for the slate yet...the next few weeks will be spent sizing and grading, an additional cost, then there is the space to do it all...but it will look fantastic when its on...Angel...
    I'm not perfect, which is a shame really, as everyone else is!

Travel has nowt to do with price. Chinese slate is much cheaper than Welsh and a very similar product.

OK so now I'm enlightened on the differences between Welsh and Caithness slate, and completely mystified by mi16's comment.
    I really hate being bipolar. It's awesome!!!

I've done a number of roofs over the years using Caithness slate but I've never used new material. I used to cut new slates in exchange for building stone and fireplace hearths but those slates were always exported out of the county. The last time I cut any was about 20 years ago and they were for St Magnus cathederal in Kirkwall. Caithness slate is laid in diminishing courses starting with the biggest in the bottom. It didnt matter whether the slate was 40 inches by 20 inches or 14 inches by 9 the price to buy it was the same. At that time it was over £2 a slate.
    Interestingly Caithness slate is not slate at all. Slate is a metamorphic material. Caithness slate is sedimentary and could be more properly called flagstone.

Interesting post thanks gleeber

It does seem a bit daft without all the logical explanations.

What seems even more daft, most houses in South Wales are now covered with Marley tiles. I don't think they look as good but it does give the sheep better grip when playing hard to get.
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...40012969_n.jpg
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.