Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: What is "barfers"?

Default What is "barfers"?

Excuse my ignorance, but what is "barfers". On the general board there is a post "bird flu and barfers". I take it its something you feed your pet. Could someone please explain what. Thank you.

BARF is feed for your dog consisting of raw meat ie. raw chicken and bones, beef, tripe etc.

Buggyracer can tell you more about it!

BARF is an acronym for Biologically Appropriate Raw Food and also stands for Bones And Raw Food. Other apt terms include evolutionary diet, natural diet and species appropriate diet. Every living animal requires a biologically appropriate diet. If you think about it, not one animal on earth is adapted by evolution to eat a cooked food diet. This means BARF diet is exactly what we should be feeding to our pets.

i wont feed my 3 dogs on anything else.

This is a list of ingredients from Eukanuba Adult Maintenance one of the more expensive of the complete dry feeds:
    Chicken > 20%
    Maize
    Wheat
    Animal fat
    Barley
    Sorghum
    Dried beet pulp
    Fish meal
    Chicken digest
    Dried egg
    Brewers yeast
    Potassium chloride
    Sodium chloride
    Sodium hexametaphosphate
    Linseed
    DL-Methonine
    Glucosamine HCI
    Chondroitin sulphate

How many of those occur naturally in a dogs diet? There seems to be an awful lot of salt, salt substitutes, no wonder it says on the bag to always have fresh water available.