Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Aurora Borealis

Default Aurora Borealis

For those of you interested in such things there is a high probability of seeing the Aurora Borealis this evening that's if the rain stops and clouds clear a bit. A fine show for this All Hallows' Eve

donss Guest

It was exceptional last night.... hope the cloud cover clears for a while tonight too... :-)

Where and what time might they appear?

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy@watten View Post
    Where and what time might they appear?
    I was about to ask the same thing Kathy !! Also can I ask, my daughter is taking my grandson to Lapland to see Santa at the beginning of December, is it quite common to see the Aurora Borealis there ?

In the sky to the north approx 1/3 the way up horizon to straight overhead. Can be a faint greenish glow to brighter green - like glowing flames- need fewer streetlights to see them properly. Preferably no streetlights.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/57299237@N05/ There are some amazing pics here inc a video...

Gordon MacKie's photo's
    Last edited by davem; 31-Oct-13 at 19:32. Reason: Credit for the pics

See them more now; its been quiet a good while since I saw them, less solar activity - its building up now. Need dark night - no clouds, solar activity all at the same time. Should def be more to see this winter....

Last night it was after 9