Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What will the Nat's do for Caithness?

Default What will the Nat's do for Caithness?

So I thought I've not heard anyone mention how a yes vote will help Caithness and it's particular challenges. We are being urged to vote yes, so what's in it for us?

Why don't you start by telling us how a no vote will benefit Caithness directly?
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

And can you also explain why you believe the Nats will be the party in power after the 2016 election, should a Yes vote be recorded next year?

Is there such a party?
    I presume you mean the SNP who will be in power from the vote up to 2016
    Last edited by mi16; 22-Oct-13 at 06:21.
    W.A.T.P.

I mean nationalists, ones who want independence.

Had a few hours now to answer in a way that could sway undecideds and Unionists. Go for it!

One thing I will say Nationalism can be a very unhealthy mindset. Just remember Sarajevo and Kosovo both subjects of intense nationalism so I for one am wary of nationalist

Quote Originally Posted by RagnarRocks View Post
    One thing I will say Nationalism can be a very unhealthy mindset. Just remember Sarajevo and Kosovo both subjects of intense nationalism so I for one am wary of nationalist
    Indeed.

And in many cases nationalism is a thinly veiled disguise hiding supremacism and racism.
    Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; Nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.

- Charles de Gaulle

Quote Originally Posted by ducati View Post
    So I thought I've not heard anyone mention how a yes vote will help Caithness and it's particular challenges. We are being urged to vote yes, so what's in it for us?
    How will voting Yes stop people from voting for non SNP parties in 2016 & subsequent Holyrood elections?

Quote Originally Posted by theone View Post
    Indeed.

And in many cases nationalism is a thinly veiled disguise hiding supremacism and racism.
    In some cases maybe but as a englishman, living in scotland and voting Yes, not sure how I am a racist or supremacist. Not seen any sign of it in Scotland, we have a fully democratic electoral system which I have not seen any proposal to abolish it.

Quote Originally Posted by gerry4 View Post
    In some cases maybe but as a englishman, living in scotland and voting Yes, not sure how I am a racist or supremacist. Not seen any sign of it in Scotland, we have a fully democratic electoral system which I have not seen any proposal to abolish it.
    You've not seen any sign of Racism in Scotland? Lucky man!

I don't understand what you mean about the electoral system though?
    Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; Nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.

- Charles de Gaulle

At least as much as Caithness has ever had from the Union, methinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddquine View Post
    At least as much as Caithness has ever had from the Union, methinks.
    So, no one got an answer? This is the issue that I'm concerned about. No one else?

Quote Originally Posted by RagnarRocks View Post
    Why? We pro-independence people aren't wielding guns, bombing random citizens or killing/putting opponents to our convictions in in jail...so why are you feart of us?

And anyhow...when you say nationalist..do you mean SNP..and are you another who thinks that Alex Salmond is going to be another, what was it he was likened to........Mugabe? There is no way on earth that the SNP membership approaches remotely the levels of 25% of the adult Scottish voting population......though it has certainly a much healthier membership than any Scottish branches of UK Parties.

Try "grown-up, able to look after ourselves and see no reason we should not" instead of a term which so obviously worries you.

Now doesn't that feel less scary?

So, no one got an answer? This is the issue that I'm concerned about. No one else?
    You know what Caithness has out of the Union since 1707......so why would you need it spelled out for you? And, frankly I don't see any improvement on that largesse under the Union.

Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    Is there such a party?
    I presume you mean the SNP who will be in power from the vote up to 2016
    Which is actually when Independence, if it is voted for, would become a fact. Until then.......we are still in the Union.

Which is actually when Independence, if it is voted for, would become a fact. Until then.......we are still in the Union.
    heaven forbid
    W.A.T.P.

As I've already said, I think your title is badly worded, as it assumes a Nationalist government will be formed in 2016, where it could any from a number of existing or new parties, or even a coalition.

Saying that, the question within your first post is valid tho' it's impossible to answer what any new Scots government WILL do. Some ideas for starters might be to encourage bigger/more business investment in the area in order to slow or halt the population flow away from the county before it's too late, and ensure broadband speeds & reliability continue to push forward. I'd certainly like to see some infrastructure improvements - rerouting the hairpin at Berriedale may be sufficient for that part, but there are other roads which need attention in the local network.

However, it's the changes for the country as a whole I'd like them to address, all of which filter down to local level in one way or another. I'd like to see a modicum of common sense being applied at all levels of officialdom. No more Edinburgh tram-style fiascos for starters - use the money where it's really needed and for projects that will really make a difference to the country, a sensible balanced approach to energy generation, removal of red tape & bureaucracy, encouraging the public transport providers to work & coordinate together to provide a solid & reliable network of services to all areas. These are only suggestions of what I'd like to see but I'm sure our other Orgers will be able to offer other ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by theone View Post
    You've not seen any sign of Racism in Scotland? Lucky man!

I don't understand what you mean about the electoral system though?
    He's maybe a nice person. I've found that not being a nice person is more inclined to make one unpopular, regardless of origins than being of any particular nationality.

Though to be fair, I should think Scotland has as many intolerant racist people as anywhere else in the world....and you have obviously met some of them. Shame.......but that's life!

Why? We pro-independence people aren't wielding guns, bombing random citizens or killing/putting opponents to our convictions in in jail...so why are you feart of us? And anyhow...when you say nationalist..do you mean SNP..and are you another who thinks that Alex Salmond is going to be another, what was it he was likened to........Mugabe? There is no way on earth that the SNP membership approaches remotely the levels of 25% of the adult Scottish voting population......though it has certainly a much healthier membership than any Scottish branches of UK Parties. Try "grown-up, able to look after ourselves and see no reason we should not" instead of a term which so obviously worries you.Now doesn't that feel less scary?
    Note I stated nationalism as a generalisation not naming specific parties. I have encountered nationalism before its a closed mindset and may start off innocently enough but once its matured it can be very unhealthy note I gave examples already admittedly they where on religious grounds. Back in the 1980s the security services were very aware of scottish nationalist heavily involved with the IRA so there are those out there already established who have this mind set.

Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    heaven forbid
    Heaven forbid we are still in the Union? I agree!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast