Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Wi fi query

Default Wi fi query

In my town there is a free wifi service in the town centre (I don't have anyother kind of Internet access in my flat). I have a Thomson TG123g Wireless USB Adaptor which I have attached to my pc. However the signal in my flat is very weak (even near to the window).

How can I get a boost the signal, someone talked about a "range extender" but someone else said that this would only work if it was part of the Internet access suppliers network. Alternatively could anyone recommend a better wifi network adaptor, please?

I know that my son used to use an old satellite dish with wireless dongle at the bit that the signal is focused on (whatever it is called).
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

Quote Originally Posted by ecb View Post
    In my town there is a free wifi service in the town centre (I don't have anyother kind of Internet access in my flat). I have a Thomson TG123g Wireless USB Adaptor which I have attached to my pc. However the signal in my flat is very weak (even near to the window).

How can I get a boost the signal, someone talked about a "range extender" but someone else said that this would only work if it was part of the Internet access suppliers network. Alternatively could anyone recommend a better wifi network adaptor, please?
    You should get yourself a high-gain USB wireless dongle. They're essentially the same as your current Thomson adapter, but with an aerial or panel attached to give greater signal range. A decent one should give you a good increase in signal strength.

Laptop and desktop computer repairs, upgrades & sales
    Call-out service available throughout Caithness or drop off at our office in Thurso
    Tel: 07576 965 508 • www.caithnesscomputers.co.uk • facebook.com/CaithnessComputers