Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Pig Story in Today's Post

Quote Originally Posted by derek View Post
    Im sure their would be some law against it, when it was clearly out off malice, very cruel to put a healthy animal down! what was wrong with re homeing it or taking it to balmore!!!
    Nothing, same as nothing wrong with having it destroyed.It has also been stated that the animal was not healthy, for what it's worth
    W.A.T.P.

It would be nice to see this report - claiming that the pig was unhealthy.

Im sure their would be some law against it, when it was clearly out off malice, very cruel to put a healthy animal down! what was wrong with re homeing it or taking it to balmore!!!
    Totally agree, now let me get that mince out of the freezer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogsrcool View Post
    It would be nice to see this report - claiming that the pig was unhealthy.
    The chap who had the pig killed claimed it was unhealthy, however the abandonee claimed it was healthy but a lot can change in 15 months of abandonment.
    W.A.T.P.

Quote Originally Posted by Claw View Post
    Westward Crofting law does not allow the Landlord to graze or have stock on the land tenanted by a crofter.
    The landlord is only responsible in any crofting situation to have rights on fixed equipment ie fences and buildings if they had been responsible for costs involved with them.
    the pig was put there just as a means to try and get some rights or just to be awkward and cause hassle It must also have been a health hazard to anyone living in the house as it was right next to the house.
    I think anyone having a pig abandoned in their garden would eventually dispose of the pig which was hardly ever checked or fed by the supposed owner.
    The name big mama was only heard after the demise of the pig
    Thank you Claw for the clarification on Crofting Law,
    I appreciate what you have said, however, I do think there may have been other means of dealing with the animal rather than having it put down, a public announcement perhaps that the pig would be leaving the holding on such & such a day,
    surely, the department of agriculture could have intervened in some way, I mean this is after all where bad husbandry would kick in, so to speak and on that subject,
    if the pig was as has been reported malnourished then surely both parties have to admit to some blame, ie; the party that left it to starve and the party that watched its suffering and did nothing.
    It says little of the new tenant, that they could watch an innocent beast suffer in this way.

I totally agree with you there! lots of other crofts in the area, I am sure someone would have taken the animal.

Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    The chap who had the pig killed claimed it was unhealthy, however the abandonee claimed it was healthy but a lot can change in 15 months of abandonment.
    I'd be interested in having sight of such a report, if a post mortem was done, it certainly would put paid to the who did and who didn't scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Westward View Post
    if the pig was as has been reported malnourished then surely both parties have to admit to some blame, ie; the party that left it to starve and the party that watched its suffering and did nothing.
    Who mentioned malnourishment?

It says little of the new tenant, that they could watch an innocent beast suffer in this way.
    The new tennant put it out of its misery, alegedly

I'd be interested in having sight of such a report, if a post mortem was done, it certainly would put paid to the who did and who didn't scenario.
    Why would anyone of sane mind pay for a post mortem after paying for the killing, therefore fully knowing the cause of death?
    Last edited by mi16; 22-Oct-13 at 12:05.
    W.A.T.P.

Unless I'm wrong sounds to me like two not particularly animal friendly people unable to be civilised acting like barbarians and the pig suffered.

For sure the police, and of course the vet, will have this report on the pig's health but I doubt if either will make it available to such a body as Caithness.org.

There are a lot of allegations flying about on here. Firstly, the person who abandoned the pig was not a tenant or previous tenant on the croft. The croft is currently owner/occupied so the animal wasn't there with the owner or tenants permission. From what I understand, the animal was unhealthy and was put down. A vet would not destroy a healthy animal just because someone asks them either. This story has grown arms and legs plus the offer of a reward from another person just adds to the rediculous nature of it. The croft owner/occupier is a decent person just trying to get on with his own business without any of the previous harrassment him and his family have had to put up with. I, for one, am 100% behind the crofter.
    As you slide down the bannister of life, may all the skelfs be pointing the right way.

Quote Originally Posted by camor View Post
    There are a lot of allegations flying about on here. Firstly, the person who abandoned the pig was not a tenant or previous tenant on the croft. The croft is currently owner/occupied so the animal wasn't there with the owner or tenants permission. From what I understand, the animal was unhealthy and was put down. A vet would not destroy a healthy animal just because someone asks them either. This story has grown arms and legs plus the offer of a reward from another person just adds to the rediculous nature of it. The croft owner/occupier is a decent person just trying to get on with his own business without any of the previous harrassment him and his family have had to put up with. I, for one, am 100% behind the crofter.
    I concur, "wig" and his cronies are "at it" as they say
    W.A.T.P.

[QUOTE=mi16;1053067]I concur, "wig" and his cronies are "at it" as they say[/QUOTE

Do you know what - I am sick and tired of this pointless argument. A crime was committed - like it or not!! What about the family of the person who owned the pig why are they being made to feel like criminals????!
    !!

Quote Originally Posted by Dogsrcool View Post
    Do you know what - I am sick and tired of this pointless argument. A crime was committed - like it or not!! What about the family of the person who owned the pig why are they being made to feel like criminals????!
    !!
    and exactly what crime would that be then?
    W.A.T.P.

and exactly what crime would that be then?
    Sowicide!

Who mentioned malnourishment?

The new tennant put it out of its misery, alegedly

Why would anyone of sane mind pay for a post mortem after paying for the killing, therefore fully knowing the cause of death?

The owner did not pay for the killing, the owner is accused of abandoning the animal and the animal being left unfed, it does not take fifteen months for a pig / or other animal to die through hunger.
    A post mortem would determine the general wellbeing of the animal before its demise.

[/COLOR]

The owner did not pay for the killing, the owner is accused of abandoning the animal and the animal being left unfed, it does not take fifteen months for a pig / or other animal to die through hunger.
    A post mortem would determine the general wellbeing of the animal before its demise.
    the animal was being fed by the Reay villagers
    W.A.T.P.

Quote Originally Posted by sids View Post
    Sowicide!

Nice one

the animal was being fed by the Reay villagers
    Good on the good people of Reay..beggars the question though, as to why the tenant who put the pig out of its misery, assumed the pig to be miserable when the people of Reay were feeding it.

Going in circles with this thread, for the record I don't believe the person who had the pig killed had any right to do so.

Good on the good people of Reay..beggars the question though, as to why the tenant who put the pig out of its misery, assumed the pig to be miserable when the people of Reay were feeding it.

Going in circles with this thread, for the record I don't believe the person who had the pig killed had any right to do so.
    there are many things that could make the animal unwell
    W.A.T.P.

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast