Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Fuel discount bid for rural communities

Default Fuel discount bid for rural communities

A fuel discount scheme in the Scottish islands and the Isles of Scilly could be extended to 10 rural communities in mainland Scotland and England.

They are Acharacle, Achnasheen, Appin, Carrbridge, Dalwhinnie, Gairloch and Strathpeffer in Scotland and in England Kirkby-in-Furness in Cumbria, Hawes in North Yorkshire and Lynton in Devon are also included.

So no fuel discount for us in Caithness then.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24575066

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

I guess it is because we have access discounted TESCO fuel. Seems a bit arbritrary though.

Given that Strathpeffer is about 15 miles from Morrisons at Alness with their dicounted petrol it totally baffles me why they qualify and Caithness does not.

And only about 5 miles away from Tesco in Dingwall !!! What a Joke !!
    Quote Originally Posted by outsidethebox View Post
    Given that Strathpeffer is about 15 miles from Morrisons at Alness with their dicounted petrol it totally baffles me why they qualify and Caithness does not.

strangely enough I posted on Danny Alexanders facebook page to ask why and my post was deleted :-)

fuel prices fibre optic broadband I think that we are getting the message loud and clear WE JUST DONT COME INTO ANY EQUATION UNLESS IT IS FOR VOTES.Come on GIBSON this could be a photo shoot for you.Stand up and fight for us

I believe that most of the places are in Lib-Dem constituencies. Two of them are in Danny Alexander's own constituency. What more do you need to know?

Quote Originally Posted by luskentyre View Post
    I believe that most of the places are in Lib-Dem constituencies. Two of them are in Danny Alexander's own constituency. What more do you need to know?
    Caithness has a Libdem MP. Achnasheen does not even have a petrol station. I can't understand how places in Sutherland like Durness have not been picked, when carrbridge have

Quote Originally Posted by gerry4 View Post
    Caithness has a Libdem MP. Achnasheen does not even have a petrol station. I can't understand how places in Sutherland like Durness have not been picked, when carrbridge have
    I believe Strathpeffer is also without a petrol outlet...

I have heard it is 2 but not where the second one was.

The word "Farce" springs to mind here... There should be a blanket cap on wholesale prices no matter location with the Government picking up the tab for the extra costs of transportation.

Or even better, nationalise the production, distribution & sale of fuel & have a universal price nationwide.
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."