Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: British Gas Con

Default British Gas Con

The news that BG are increasing cost by an average 9.4% is bad enough but not unexpected as the big 6 are all going to do it.
    But I wasn't expecting the small print that those north of Perth are getting an EXTRA 2% increase on top of the 9.4%
    Once again we are getting screwed for our location, you would think being in the coldest area they would be happy we had to buy more power but no, they have us over a barrel so are screwing us for even more!
    I'm changing suppliers.

We have dual fuel with Scottish Hydro. We get a 2% discount on whatever the prices are, and have compared the unit price for both utilities with friends south of the border and we are cheaper than them all. Have had numerous contacts with customer services and they are very approachable and offer good advice. They also offer an upgrade of outdated white goods for free to those in fuel poverty to help reduce their useage and are the first to apply the Warm Home discount, unlike some companies who hold onto the money until March.
    Making tomorrow`s memories today

My husband used to work for BRITISH Gas until they made him and most of his colleagues redundant by closing down the call centre and admin in Manchester and moving the whole caboodle to India to keep prices low for the consumer.
    It is not British Gas at all.
    You cant call an Eccles cake an Eccles cake unless it was baked in Eccles but British Gas can sell its gas and electric to us under a false name no problem.
    As soon as he was made redundant we switched our energy regardless of price in protest at their exporting all the jobs abroad. I would encourage everyone to look at where their money is going if there is a choice. If everyone did the same they would have to have a rethink.
    Last edited by Southern-Gal; 18-Oct-13 at 08:31.

I am with Scottish Hydro and Last winter I was paying £70 a Week for my Electricity, (£10 a Day, PAYG Meter), so this year I will be paying even more. My pension has not gone up, in actual fact I am getting less money as I have had £6.30 a week taken off my Pension Credit as the DWP say that due to a mistake that they made, they had paid me too much last year.

The Government say that if anyone spends 10% of their income on Fuel then they are in Fuel Poverity. This year I will have to spend at least 40% of my weekly income on Electricity so I guess I will be in Extreme Fuel Poverty.

It does not matter though as SSE, who own Scottish Hydro, only made £2.5Billion Profit last year and they really need the money I pay.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    I am with Scottish Hydro and Last winter I was paying £70 a Week for my Electricity, (£10 a Day, PAYG Meter), so this year I will be paying even more. My pension has not gone up, in actual fact I am getting less money as I have had £6.30 a week taken off my Pension Credit as the DWP say that due to a mistake that they made, they had paid me too much last year.

The Government say that if anyone spends 10% of their income on Fuel then they are in Fuel Poverity. This year I will have to spend at least 40% of my weekly income on Electricity so I guess I will be in Extreme Fuel Poverty.

It does not matter though as SSE, who own Scottish Hydro, only made £2.5Billion Profit last year and they really need the money I pay.
    And this from the only truly Scottish provider.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern-Gal View Post
    My husband used to work for BRITISH Gas until they made him and most of his colleagues redundant by closing down the call centre and admin in Manchester and moving the whole caboodle to India to keep prices low for the consumer.
    British Gas didn't make anyone redundant.

And at risk of having to cap their prices in the future, they are protecting their position now.
    Good business really.

Kodiak, I would contact Scottish Hydro to find out what is causing your bills to be so high?

I'm with them and currently pay £85 a month, we have electric everything except for heating and hot water which is gas (also from Hydro) and we pay £25 per month for that.

Can you not get off the PAYG meter and make monthly direct debit payments instead? That'll save you a packet for starters.

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post

Are you running a nuclear centrifuge in your loft or something?!?! £10 a day! I have a 2 bedroom terraced house with Gas central heating, and a to of electrical appliances (Im 29, my little brother 18) and I pay £68 a month for the pair and im in credit, plus prices been capped since Sept 2012 until april 2014. Your are either utterly wasting your energy, or your running something that you really shoudlnt, like storage heaters, constantly.

Not even kidding. Thats crazy.
    There are basically 3 type of people in this world, those who can count and those who cant

I'm in credit with SSE to the tune of over £1000 because I've slashed my useage by 66%! I've tried to get them to lower my monthly bill but to no avail. Imagine someone else keeping your money like that?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    Kodiak, I would contact Scottish Hydro to find out what is causing your bills to be so high?

I'm with them and currently pay £85 a month, we have electric everything except for heating and hot water which is gas (also from Hydro) and we pay £25 per month for that.

Can you not get off the PAYG meter and make monthly direct debit payments instead? That'll save you a packet for starters.
    And there is the rub I am all electric Including the heating and Hot Water. It is the storage heaters that cost the money as they are very expensive to run.

As to changing over the meter to a Credit meter and pay by Direct Debit, this I can not do as I do not have a Bank Account, so no Direct Debits. This also means I can not switch suppliers, for to go to another supplier they all want payments by DD which I can not do and so I can't switch.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

Quote Originally Posted by weezer 316 View Post
    Are you running a nuclear centrifuge in your loft or something?!?! £10 a day! I have a 2 bedroom terraced house with Gas central heating, and a to of electrical appliances (Im 29, my little brother 18) and I pay £68 a month for the pair and im in credit, plus prices been capped since Sept 2012 until april 2014. Your are either utterly wasting your energy, or your running something that you really shoudlnt, like storage heaters, constantly.

Not even kidding. Thats crazy.
    Yes I have my storage heaters on, but only in the Winter. As I said Last Winter I was paying £70 a week. That was during the Winter not at any other time.

It is the Storage Heating that takes most of the money and since it is the only form of heating we have, we can do nothing else.

Edgar Allen Poe

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    British Gas didn't make anyone redundant.

I can assure you that yes British Gas did indeed make my husband redundant along with most of his colleagues.
    How can you say this is not the case?

Quote Originally Posted by Southern-Gal View Post
    I can assure you that yes British Gas did indeed make my husband redundant along with most of his colleagues.
    How can you say this is not the case?
    When I contact Scottish Gas, part of British Gas,its always a Scottish Call centre that deals with me
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

There are far too many mistakes and taking pension credit back from pensioners. My mother died over a year ago aged 94 and now the pension dept are making me pay back all the pension credit they gave her to which she wasn't entitled to.

teducati;1052344]And this from the only truly Scottish provider.[/QUOTE]
    Live for today as tomorrow may never come

Quote Originally Posted by Fran View Post
    There are far too many mistakes and taking pension credit back from pensioners. My mother died over a year ago aged 94 and now the pension dept are making me pay back all the pension credit they gave her to which she wasn't entitled to.
    Is it being claimed from the late lady's estate?

The estate was cleared a year ago. I am her only child
    Live for today as tomorrow may never come

But was there money in her estate Fran? If she left it to you I am afraid that they are claiming that money. Not fair, but ....
    Everyone's a critic ...............