Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Next Year - 100 Years Since the Outbreak of WW1

Default Next Year - 100 Years Since the Outbreak of WW1

Hello everyone,

I just wondered if there are researchers out there who will be giving a special thought to anyone in their family who fought in World War 1 given that next year is the 100th anniversary of the outbreak of hostilities?

A significant part of my interest in family history was brought about through trying to discover what my Great Grandfather's involvement in the conflict was (Sgt. George L. Bartlett, 5th Seaforth Highlanders). I knew that he was awarded the Military Medal, but never knew why (the family still has his medals). There was a family story as to what he did but he never spoke about it himself. Whenever he was asked why he was awarded the medal, he always replied "For shottin' scorries." And that was all he ever said on the subject. I have since discovered a lot of family who were involved in the conflict, and there are those who never came home.

I just thought that people may like to post their own stories about those who served and what their experiences were, or share any photographs that they may have. Unfortunately I have only one photograph of my Great Grandfather taken in France, whilst he was at Corbie on the Somme, and that is a poor copy of what was posted in the Northern Ensign of the time.

If anyone wants to share some stories I would be very interested to read them.

Kind Regards,
    Steven

I think this could be a fascinating thread which would be of interest to so many individuals. My grandfather, James Sutherland Henderson, born October 1900, signed up well before he was 18 and was I believe found out! He then became a Drummer Boy - I think. I have tried unsuccessfully to trace his papers but this may have been because he used an alias. Anyone who can suggest possible avenues to track the records relating to his service would help considerably. Anyone else related to him and reading this may well have more info than I have and it would be great to hear from them. His parents were David Henderson and Mary Sutherland and he was born at Stemster, Bower. he had several siblings- Danny, Meta (Margaret), Mary, Etta (Henrietta) and David. It would be great for me to know what he did during WW1 and I would appreciate any help or suggestions. Linda

Quote Originally Posted by lindadorren View Post
    I think this could be a fascinating thread which would be of interest to so many individuals. My grandfather, James Sutherland Henderson, born October 1900, signed up well before he was 18 and was I believe found out!.......
    Linda,

My paternal grandmother had a half-brother (William Bremner) who enlisted before he was 18 and he too was found out and subsequently discharged from the army. He reenlisted when he came of age and served with distinction - I have a few newspaper articles reporting of times when he was wounded. Luckily he survived the war and went on to marry and have family.

As you have found there is a great difficulty in finding military records as a great number were destroyed during World War 2 (so I believe). I have at least been able to find out a fair bit through the local newspapers and they are a mine of information.

All I ever managed to find out about my Great Grandfather was that he was awarded the Military Medal for his part in the defence of the German Spring Offensive in 1918 - the details are sketchy, but the 5th Seaforth Highlanders (along with all other British Units) were involved in a four/five day running battle against the Germans - a real nightmare from what I have read.

Your Grandfather is among many who must have enlisted under-age. I know there is a gravestone in Wick Cemetery which has a boy of 16 who was killed, as were two of his brothers (I think the family surname was Dunnet).

I hope there are others who want to share stories and remember the heroes in their family.

Steven

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to Remember...

CaptainArthur Henderson MC VC 1893 - 1917
    Rememberedwith honour Cojeul British Cemetery, St Martin-Sur_Cojeul
    citation– An extract from 'The London Gazette' No. 30167 dated 3rdJuly 1917,
    recordsthe following – 'For most conspicuous bravery. During an attack onthe enemy trenches this officer, although most immediately wounded inthe left arm, ledhis Company through the front enemy line until he gained his finalobjective. He then proceeded to consolidate his position, which,owing to heavy gun and machine gun fire and bombing attacks, was indanger of being isolated. By his cheerful courage and coolness hewas enabled to maintain the spirit of his men under most tryingconditions. CaptainHenderson was killed after he had successfullyaccomplished his task.'
    Partfrom another Newspaper -
    ' Germans Fly before Wounded Captain'
    Agraphic story of Captain Henderson's great exploit is told by aprivate in the Argylls :-
    'CaptainHenderson was in charge of my company at the time. When he wentover he was in command. He was absolutely fearless. He led uslike a lion, and he never seemed to mind anything. The ordeal we hadto go through was the worst I have experienced. Several times theattack was held up, and the position seemed hopeless. Never more sothat when Captain Henderson was hit and fell.
    Hewas on his feet at once, and without having his wounded arm attendedto he was in the thick of the fight again, urging the men forward,and anticipating every possible move of the Huns.
    'Ifthere was a piece of ground ahead that offered the least protectionof cover it was Captain Henderson who ordered the men to rush it, andthe men soon got that confidence which comes with the knowledge thatone is being led by a born leader of men. Very soon we forgot allelse but the task before us, and led in person by Captain Hendersonwe swept over the enemy parapet. The Germans fled in terror beforethe fierce officer with the winged arm, though he hadn't got aweapon with him, and they could easily have knocked him over hadthey made a stand.
    Theexcitement and the pain of his wound had tried Captain Hendersongreatly, but he refused to retire, and immediately set about gettingthe position ready to withstand the strong counter-attacks that theenemy were preparing. The position wasn't very bright. Againstour company of Argylls the enemy were pushing a strong cordon aroundthe position in the hope of cutting us off.
    TheGermans launched their last attack just as assistance was on its wayto us. They were met with a stubborn resistance, Captain Hendersonhandling his men with great skill and courageously sticking at hispost until the attack was smashed................................'
    CaptainHenderson was 23yrs old.
    =====================================

Hisfather Baillie George Henderson of Paisley - born in Caithness, heard of the death of Arthur and his brother George on the same day. George served with the Canadian Forces.
    ==================

Trinkie,

I would like to thank you for posting about Captain Arthur Henderson.

A very brave man for someone so young, or for anyone of any age for that matter. Where the strength of these men came from, I have no idea. Goodness only knows.

Baillie George Henderson hearing of the deaths of two sons at the same time is unimaginably horrible. So many families went through the same experience - there are families on my side who experienced no loss, and other families on my side that had no end of tragedy.

Trinkie, thank you for sharing your family story.

We all need to remember those who went before us, and what they went through.

Kind Regards,
    Steven

JamesSmith d. 1916

Lastyear I stopped at a beautiful church, St Illytd's in Pembrey southWales
    andstrolled around the graveyard taking pictures of War Graves. Laterat home
    Iread the blurb on line and under ' Notable Burials' I found thatJames Smith
    ofWick was buried there. I phoned Father Davies who later located thegrave and I arranged to go back to take a picture of the Grave.
    Jamesdoes not have an official War Grave, but a beautiful stone crosswhich I think must have been erected by his family. On my returntrip to the church I took a picture of the grave and left a poppy.

JamesSmith was on HM Collier Tynemouth heading for Scapa Flow but just outof Bristol they were torpedoed and his body was washed up on theWelsh coast and found in January 1916. He was 21yrs of age.

Heis mentioned in Voices in the Wind.
    Hisparents were John and Dina Smith of Port Dunbar Wick.

My grandfather, Sutherland Jack, was born in 1889 at Jack's Cottage, westside Dunnet. He left for Canada prior to WW1 and joined the 2nd Bn Canadian Engineers. He was wounded once and gassed once but thankfully for me he survived.

Some of my relatives who I remember every 11th November:
    J.H. McMillan 16th Bn., Canadian Scottish KIA 16/9/17 buried in France
    Homer Carr 4th Canadian Mounted Rifles KIA 26/10/17 at Passchendaele name is on the Menin Gate
    Norman MacDonald Highland Light Infantry KIA 13/2/17
    John MacDonald Cameron Highlanders KIA 11/04/17

Norman and John were brothers.

Like others I discovered a lot about these people in doing my family genealogy. I made a trip from Canada to France and Belgium in 2010 to visit the many cemeteries and monuments of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. It's hard to comprehend the loss when looking at names on the wall at the Menin Gate or Thiepval but to stand amongst the 12,000 fallen at Tynecot Cemetery puts things into perspective.

Wick St Fergus Church are going to hold a week long exhibition next year to commemorate those who served and gave their lives in WW1. Work has already begun on an embroidered banner listing all those of Wick and district who gave their lives. Stories or a loan of photos or memorabilia for this exhibition, which would be on the week of the run up to hostilities, would be most welcome.

Bruce,

Thank you for posting the details about your family and those who served.

I have discovered many individuals in my family who served, but I wanted to learn about the experiences of others. I don't want to clog up the message thread with a thank-you every time someone posts something about men and women they are remembering, so I will now restrict my thanks to private messages. The purpose of this message thread is to allow people to commemorate their family, or anyone they choose to remember.

Mosser - I am intrigued by what you posted about the St Fergus Church's plan to remember those lost in WW1. How would someone go about providing information for someone they wish to commemorate? Do you have a contact name, number, or address that you would be willing to provide?

Regards,
    Steven

Quote Originally Posted by sgmcgregor View Post
    Bruce,

Thank you for posting the details about your family and those who served.

I have discovered many individuals in my family who served, but I wanted to learn about the experiences of others. I don't want to clog up the message thread with a thank-you every time someone posts something about men and women they are remembering, so I will now restrict my thanks to private messages. The purpose of this message thread is to allow people to commemorate their family, or anyone they choose to remember.

Mosser - I am intrigued by what you posted about the St Fergus Church's plan to remember those lost in WW1. How would someone go about providing information for someone they wish to commemorate? Do you have a contact name, number, or address that you would be willing to provide?

Regards,
    Steven
    Sgm,

Our exhibition is to commemorate the men of Wick and district, if this is applicable I'll be happy to provide the contacts.

Mosser,

I can immediately think of the following Wickers who were lost in WW1.

Private Donald Dallas, 10174, 1 Seaforth Highlanders, killed on 9 May 1915 at Aubers Ridge (he served in India prior to WW1);
    Private David Henderson Grant (aka, Dane Dallas), 2 Seaforth Highlanders, killed on 11 May 1917 at/near Arras;
    Seaman William MacKay, HMD Clachnacuddin, killed on 25/26 April 1916 in the Adriatic Sea (off the coast of Italy);
    Private David Macaulay, 7 Battalion Seaforth Highlanders, missing presumed killed on 12 October 1916

I have a portrait photograph of William MacKay with his wife (Margaret Sutherland Miller) and children, and one for David Macaulay, along with photos from the John O'Groat Journal/Northern Ensign for the others.

Pte. Donald Dallas was the great-uncle of my mother; Pte. David H. Grant was the uncle of my mother; Seaman William MacKay was the great-uncle of my mother; Pte. David Macaulay was the cousin of my mother's grandmother.

I would welcome any contact details that you would be able to provide, and I would be happy to provide all of the information that I have.

Regards,
    Steven

Quote Originally Posted by sgmcgregor View Post
    Mosser,

I can immediately think of the following Wickers who were lost in WW1.

Private Donald Dallas, 10174, 1 Seaforth Highlanders, killed on 9 May 1915 at Aubers Ridge (he served in India prior to WW1);
    Private David Henderson Grant (aka, Dane Dallas), 2 Seaforth Highlanders, killed on 11 May 1917 at/near Arras;
    Seaman William MacKay, HMD Clachnacuddin, killed on 25/26 April 1916 in the Adriatic Sea (off the coast of Italy);
    Private David Macaulay, 7 Battalion Seaforth Highlanders, missing presumed killed on 12 October 1916

I have a portrait photograph of William MacKay with his wife (Margaret Sutherland Miller) and children, and one for David Macaulay, along with photos from the John O'Groat Journal/Northern Ensign for the others.

Pte. Donald Dallas was the great-uncle of my mother; Pte. David H. Grant was the uncle of my mother; Seaman William MacKay was the great-uncle of my mother; Pte. David Macaulay was the cousin of my mother's grandmother.

I would welcome any contact details that you would be able to provide, and I would be happy to provide all of the information that I have.

Regards,
    Steven
    I have pm'd you

Hi , I have photos and info for Cpl John Ross, my husband's great Uncle , killed in action Belgium 1917, son of Donald Ross and Donaldina, ms Mowat late of Reiss and Halkirk I don't live in Caithness so if you are interested Please Pm me, Flora

Remembering -

LEVACK, JAMES
    J
    United Kingdom
    Private
    Seaforth Highlanders
    2nd Bn.
    04/10/1917
    S/21030
    Son of Robert Levack, of Myster, Watten, Caithness.
    Commonwealth War Dead
    Panel 132 to 135 and 162A.
    TYNE COT MEMORIAL

A few years back I was in the Legion in Thurso and was looking at some of the stuff on the walls around the hall. My attention was drawn to a snippet about the Henderson family from Dunnet and how 3 brothers were killed in the Great War. They were; George(22y) KiA 13/11/16 , Alexander(19y) killed on the same day as his brother and in the same action, Beaumont Hamel, Ancre Somme and their brother Donald(25y) KiA 23/04/17 2nd Scarpe Arras. Another brother James had been medically discharged in July 1915.
    I asked local military historian David Bews if he would supply me with details of the family which he did but not before he told me of another Caithness family who lost 4 brothers in the Great war. They were the Farquhar family from Bower, Forss and Lybster. James(38y) KiA 03/06/17 Mount Sorrel, Somme and on the same day and same action his brother William(31y) their brother George(35y) KiA 15/08/18 and their Brother Alexander(19y) MM, Missing in Action 30/11/17.
    Thanks to David Bews for all information supplied lest we forget.

Hi,
    I want to remember my Great Uncle Pte 9335 George Horne 2nd Seaforth Highlanders 19th Bde 4th Div K.l.A 7th November 1914 aged 27yrs at Ploegsteert Ypres.he was a regular soldier. My Great Uncle John Budge Murray L/Cpl 3192 (Vic) Australian Imperial Force 2nd Aus Bde 1st Aus Div K.I.A 11th August 1918 shot through the head. He and his wife Esther (Coghill) went to Australia in 1909. Sinclair Henderson Georgeson Murray S/3773 Pte 8th (Service) Seaforth Highlanders 44th Bde 15th Scottish Div K.I.A 25th September 1915 (brother of John Budge) My 2 x Great Uncle's only son Andrew Horne Pte 39646 12th (Service) Royal Scots 27th Bde 9th Scottish Div K.I.A 12th April 1917 at Arras Front. They shall not grow old as we that are left grow old. At the going down of the Sun "We will remember them".

Default Andrew Sutherland Budge

Remembering

Andrew Sutherland Budge.

Royal Naval Reserve
    RNR HMS Invincible Jutland

1916 23yrs old

Portsmouth Naval Memorial

I'm told several other Wick men were on that ship -
    Francis Wm Clyne
    George Bremner
    James MacKay
    John Robertson

What a sad day for the town.
    Last edited by trinkie; 10-Nov-13 at 14:51. Reason: adding

Remembering

ToSydney

A well-worn coat, a pipe, his gun,
    A letter written just before -
    Resting now, the warfare done,
    His cheery message comes no more.

He was a soldier, first and last ;
    You're thinking of his sunny smile,
    Now that his gallant soul has passed,
    Andleft you wearying, the while.

He always, always played the game,
    He was so simple and so fine,
    He never even thought of fame,
    The deed he did was half divine.

He only knew the soldier's part,
    He braved the awful shell to save,
    A black man, and his faithful heart,
    Is stilled deep in a glorious grave.

In memory of Captain A St J. Gore,
    Gurkha Rifles
    Killed in action 1915

Son of Lt Col C W Gore, Dublin

from the book by Katharine Adams.
    Last edited by trinkie; 09-Nov-13 at 17:32. Reason: spacing

I would like to remember my granddad's brother who died in October 1918 in France, Robert C Sinclair came from Mybster and is buried in northern France. My family and I are organising a trip to the Grand-Seraucourt British cemetery next year.

Just to let everyone know, Ancestry have free W W 1 Military records for a limited time. Flora.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast