Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Next Year - 100 Years Since the Outbreak of WW1

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Next Year - 100 Years Since the Outbreak of WW1

Hello everyone,

I just wondered if there are researchers out there who will be giving a special thought to anyone in their family who fought in World War 1 given that next year is the 100th anniversary of the outbreak of hostilities?

A significant part of my interest in family history was brought about through trying to discover what my Great Grandfather's involvement in the conflict was (Sgt. George L. Bartlett, 5th Seaforth Highlanders). I knew that he was awarded the Military Medal, but never knew why (the family still has his medals). There was a family story as to what he did but he never spoke about it himself. Whenever he was asked why he was awarded the medal, he always replied "For shottin' scorries." And that was all he ever said on the subject. I have since discovered a lot of family who were involved in the conflict, and there are those who never came home.

I just thought that people may like to post their own stories about those who served and what their experiences were, or share any photographs that they may have. Unfortunately I have only one photograph of my Great Grandfather taken in France, whilst he was at Corbie on the Somme, and that is a poor copy of what was posted in the Northern Ensign of the time.

If anyone wants to share some stories I would be very interested to read them.

Kind Regards,
    Steven

I think this could be a fascinating thread which would be of interest to so many individuals. My grandfather, James Sutherland Henderson, born October 1900, signed up well before he was 18 and was I believe found out! He then became a Drummer Boy - I think. I have tried unsuccessfully to trace his papers but this may have been because he used an alias. Anyone who can suggest possible avenues to track the records relating to his service would help considerably. Anyone else related to him and reading this may well have more info than I have and it would be great to hear from them. His parents were David Henderson and Mary Sutherland and he was born at Stemster, Bower. he had several siblings- Danny, Meta (Margaret), Mary, Etta (Henrietta) and David. It would be great for me to know what he did during WW1 and I would appreciate any help or suggestions. Linda

Quote Originally Posted by lindadorren View Post
    I think this could be a fascinating thread which would be of interest to so many individuals. My grandfather, James Sutherland Henderson, born October 1900, signed up well before he was 18 and was I believe found out!.......
    Linda,

My paternal grandmother had a half-brother (William Bremner) who enlisted before he was 18 and he too was found out and subsequently discharged from the army. He reenlisted when he came of age and served with distinction - I have a few newspaper articles reporting of times when he was wounded. Luckily he survived the war and went on to marry and have family.

As you have found there is a great difficulty in finding military records as a great number were destroyed during World War 2 (so I believe). I have at least been able to find out a fair bit through the local newspapers and they are a mine of information.

All I ever managed to find out about my Great Grandfather was that he was awarded the Military Medal for his part in the defence of the German Spring Offensive in 1918 - the details are sketchy, but the 5th Seaforth Highlanders (along with all other British Units) were involved in a four/five day running battle against the Germans - a real nightmare from what I have read.

Your Grandfather is among many who must have enlisted under-age. I know there is a gravestone in Wick Cemetery which has a boy of 16 who was killed, as were two of his brothers (I think the family surname was Dunnet).

I hope there are others who want to share stories and remember the heroes in their family.

Steven

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to Remember...

CaptainArthur Henderson MC VC 1893 - 1917
    Rememberedwith honour Cojeul British Cemetery, St Martin-Sur_Cojeul
    citation– An extract from 'The London Gazette' No. 30167 dated 3rdJuly 1917,
    recordsthe following – 'For most conspicuous bravery. During an attack onthe enemy trenches this officer, although most immediately wounded inthe left arm, ledhis Company through the front enemy line until he gained his finalobjective. He then proceeded to consolidate his position, which,owing to heavy gun and machine gun fire and bombing attacks, was indanger of being isolated. By his cheerful courage and coolness hewas enabled to maintain the spirit of his men under most tryingconditions. CaptainHenderson was killed after he had successfullyaccomplished his task.'
    Partfrom another Newspaper -
    ' Germans Fly before Wounded Captain'
    Agraphic story of Captain Henderson's great exploit is told by aprivate in the Argylls :-
    'CaptainHenderson was in charge of my company at the time. When he wentover he was in command. He was absolutely fearless. He led uslike a lion, and he never seemed to mind anything. The ordeal we hadto go through was the worst I have experienced. Several times theattack was held up, and the position seemed hopeless. Never more sothat when Captain Henderson was hit and fell.
    Hewas on his feet at once, and without having his wounded arm attendedto he was in the thick of the fight again, urging the men forward,and anticipating every possible move of the Huns.
    'Ifthere was a piece of ground ahead that offered the least protectionof cover it was Captain Henderson who ordered the men to rush it, andthe men soon got that confidence which comes with the knowledge thatone is being led by a born leader of men. Very soon we forgot allelse but the task before us, and led in person by Captain Hendersonwe swept over the enemy parapet. The Germans fled in terror beforethe fierce officer with the winged arm, though he hadn't got aweapon with him, and they could easily have knocked him over hadthey made a stand.
    Theexcitement and the pain of his wound had tried Captain Hendersongreatly, but he refused to retire, and immediately set about gettingthe position ready to withstand the strong counter-attacks that theenemy were preparing. The position wasn't very bright. Againstour company of Argylls the enemy were pushing a strong cordon aroundthe position in the hope of cutting us off.
    TheGermans launched their last attack just as assistance was on its wayto us. They were met with a stubborn resistance, Captain Hendersonhandling his men with great skill and courageously sticking at hispost until the attack was smashed................................'
    CaptainHenderson was 23yrs old.
    =====================================

Hisfather Baillie George Henderson of Paisley - born in Caithness, heard of the death of Arthur and his brother George on the same day. George served with the Canadian Forces.
    ==================

Trinkie,

I would like to thank you for posting about Captain Arthur Henderson.

A very brave man for someone so young, or for anyone of any age for that matter. Where the strength of these men came from, I have no idea. Goodness only knows.

Baillie George Henderson hearing of the deaths of two sons at the same time is unimaginably horrible. So many families went through the same experience - there are families on my side who experienced no loss, and other families on my side that had no end of tragedy.

Trinkie, thank you for sharing your family story.

We all need to remember those who went before us, and what they went through.

Kind Regards,
    Steven

JamesSmith d. 1916

Lastyear I stopped at a beautiful church, St Illytd's in Pembrey southWales
    andstrolled around the graveyard taking pictures of War Graves. Laterat home
    Iread the blurb on line and under ' Notable Burials' I found thatJames Smith
    ofWick was buried there. I phoned Father Davies who later located thegrave and I arranged to go back to take a picture of the Grave.
    Jamesdoes not have an official War Grave, but a beautiful stone crosswhich I think must have been erected by his family. On my returntrip to the church I took a picture of the grave and left a poppy.

JamesSmith was on HM Collier Tynemouth heading for Scapa Flow but just outof Bristol they were torpedoed and his body was washed up on theWelsh coast and found in January 1916. He was 21yrs of age.

Heis mentioned in Voices in the Wind.
    Hisparents were John and Dina Smith of Port Dunbar Wick.