Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Affordable Homes in Caithness

I bought my first place with a 100% mortgage, and sold it for a nominal 60% profit after 4 1/2 years. Those days are long gone....

As far as I can see, you typically need a deposit of 25% to get a mortgage with a low interest rate these days. You can get mortgages with 10% (or perhaps even 5%?) deposit, but you'll usually pay a much higher interest rate.

I'm not convinced that the government's new help-to-buy scheme will stimulate a big increase in building new affordable homes - but it might. We'll have to wait and see.

Ahh bless the 100% mortgage a dinosaur from the days when people believed house prices never fell !There has never been a 125% mortgage it was 95% secured and the rest was unsecured, up to 30 k if my memory serves me correctly.The market is now offering 95% mortgages again but as has always been the case the higher the risk the higher the percentage rate you pay,and before you get offered that you'd have to have a fairly impressive credit score and no other borrowing or credit card debt.Non of the government schemes I've ever dealt with have ever provided much the regular market isn't.The biggest issue I see is the inability of people to live within their means in this country. I have personally dealt with plenty of people who have come to this country rented to start then saved to get a deposits whilst the people who I worked with,them mocked them for their work ethic or for taking all the work but refused to put in the same effort but wanted it all on a silver plate .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12