Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: wick airport !!

Default wick airport !!

I am just wondering if any other dog owners are experiencing any problems with their dogs ? Lately they're have been lots of loud bangs from Wick airport to clear the birds. Although i realize this is a compulsory safety measure i am sick of my dog being very stressed and having diarrhea because of it,
    . Surely there must be a compromise !!

Is there anything in this lot that would help?

i sympathise but there is no compromise when it comes to safety of passengers and planes. I reckon that having a few loud bangs is better than having an almighty bang if a plane is downed due to a bird strike. What do you do around Nov5th or new years eve when all the fireworks are going off? do you comfort your dog? if so, maybe that is all that is needed? maybe even a distraction from the noise will help?

How about a pair of these :-

http://www.earplugstore.com/mumufordo.html

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

Quote Originally Posted by sids View Post
    Is there anything in this lot that would help?
    I wouldn't like to be in the firing line when the pressure has built up! :-)))

Just a few ideas which may help !

Phone the airport and ask them to give you an idea of times when they use the "gun" (eg. - at times of planes taking off or landing) this will give you time to "prepare" your dog.

Your dog sees you as his "pack-leader", so will take his queue from you. If you (quite naturally) are upset for him and getting worried/stressed, then this will also be his reaction. Try to make it seem like fun. Keep your voice in "happy mode" and praise him lots.

Distract him when the "bang" occurs with his favourite treats - eg, tiny bits of roast chicken or "doggie" chocolate drops. You could put these into one of those "balls" (don't know the name of them !!) where the dog has to work to get the treat out. (only give him those treats when the "bang" occurs, hopefully then he'll associate "Bang" with "treat" !!)

Also try to scratch his back/belly in his favourite spot with his brush to keep him relaxed.

Hope these might be of some help to you and your dog. Good luck !
    Last edited by cherokee; 11-Oct-13 at 09:41.
    I'm the kind of woman whose feet hit the floor each morning, and the Devil says........... " Oh, Blast She's Up !! "