Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Save the Berriedale Braes

One close friend has withdrawn from opening a business in Caithness because of poor road transport links for large vehicles. He cited Berriedale in particular.

Another has withdrawn due to the policy of this the owners of this website! He says no-one can advertise successfully in the Business section of this forum because of its policy of spamming the business forum by Newsbot! According to him, this policy means that, to a first approximation, no-one reads any genuine exploratory posts in the business forum! Obviously, lack of advertising on this forum alone didn't cause him to withdraw, but the attitude of the owner contributed significantly to his decision!

I have pointed out this problem on his behalf on several occasions, but I've been ignored. It's not my problem, it's the problem of the people of Caithness as a whole. If you agree, you need to deal with it!
    Last edited by secrets in symmetry; 12-Oct-13 at 16:25. Reason: clarification of whose opinion is whose + poty

Your pal could alus pay for advertising like you do everywhere else.

Surely you don't expect a community website to change for your pal just because he is a skinflint and willnae pay for advertising.

i alus though advertising was a business expenditure.

Sounds like your pal has chucked his toys out of his pram just cos thinks aint going his way. If thats his attitude I doubt he will last long in business.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

On the contrary, he is very successful, and that's why he's expanding so rapidly.

He doesn't suffer fools, and he won't invest in communities that discourage investment. He was testing the water in Caithness, but it turned out to be cold and dirty - his words, not mine.

Quote Originally Posted by secrets in symmetry View Post
    One close friend has withdrawn from opening a business in Caithness because of poor road transport links for large vehicles. He cited Berriedale in particular.
    Where did your friend take his business in the end?Must have been shifting some big kit if a 40' articulated lorry couldn't handle it.
    W.A.T.P.

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    Berriedale Braes are very Dangerous especially if you meet a large lorry either going up or down as they reqiure the whole road to turn the bad corner. The sooner they can do someting to reduce or remove ther Braes the better and safer it will be to drive on the A9.
    Agree 100%

Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    Where did your friend take his business in the end?Must have been shifting some big kit if a 40' articulated lorry couldn't handle it.
    He was trying to get into transportation for the oil and marine energy businesses in the North. I think he's given up on the idea for now. I don't know anything about the size of his trucks, sorry.

After reading about the articulated lorry driver (BIG GAZ) scary moments I am not adhered to changing my view ,I possibly had my blinkers on to the proper understanding of other vehicle's on the road and the road surfaces having only driven 4x4 and cars .I still love the braes and would want them to stay but possibly with improvement's.

The best solution would be to remove HGVs from being the main carrier. Put the bulk transport of goods on Rail and Sea, leaving only local transportation required, thereby freeing up the main road from these mobile chicanes. Same goes for the A9 Inv-Perth. Simples.

Quote Originally Posted by almo View Post
    The best solution would be to remove HGVs from being the main carrier. Put the bulk transport of goods on Rail and Sea, leaving only local transportation required, thereby freeing up the main road from these mobile chicanes. Same goes for the A9 Inv-Perth. Simples.
    At last, a sensible solution, stop sending oversized lorries up a road that was never designed for them, send the goods by rail or sea and leave the beautiful braes alone

Quote Originally Posted by Nettie View Post
    At last, a sensible solution, stop sending oversized lorries up a road that was never designed for them, send the goods by rail or sea and leave the beautiful braes alone
    & how long until some people start moaning about all these freight trains rumbling through the beautiful scenic countryside.
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

It looks like investigations to reroute the North hairpin are underway - the route being looked appears to be the one indicated in section 7.1 on page 14 of this report...

Quote Originally Posted by Alrock View Post
    & how long until some people start moaning about all these freight trains rumbling through the beautiful scenic countryside.
    I won't, it couldn't happen fast enough. Unless the roads were closed and i had a small private train that was held up by freight going at a fraction of my speed limit.

Quote Originally Posted by almo View Post
    I won't, it couldn't happen fast enough. Unless the roads were closed and i had a small private train that was held up by freight going at a fraction of my speed limit.
    firstly the speed limit is a maximum not a target, secondly there would be complaints from folk living near the nail line if massive freight trains started thundering through the towns at all hours, thirdly hgv's would still be on the roads in all areas to transport the containers from rail yards to final destination.
    W.A.T.P.

Quote Originally Posted by Nettie View Post
    That d sure put up the price of your good s in the shops .Load onto trucks to tranport to rail head, load onto train . reload onto trucks to deliver locally . plus the extra delay, i recall when goods were transported by rail. trucking took over by price and by speed .
    Last edited by jacko; 16-Oct-13 at 18:28.

Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    firstly the speed limit is a maximum not a target, secondly there would be complaints from folk living near the nail line if massive freight trains started thundering through the towns at all hours, thirdly hgv's would still be on the roads in all areas to transport the containers from rail yards to final destination.
    1, it is a maximum as you say in good conditions so A; no reason to potter about holding everyone up and B; funny that with all this safety arguments on speed and conditions that are always thrown up, it is justifiable to say HGVs can use the wrong side of the road to go round corners!!
    2, Trains thundering through towns, LOL. Way less than The HGVs going through every street in towns I see very little rail intrusion in towns by comparison.
    3, The local transport wouldn't be any more than there is now but would free up the main routes getting rid of transport that is a hindrance traveling at a lower speed restriction on roads not designed for that purpose.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123