Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Marsh Harrier

Default Marsh Harrier

Sighting at Auckengill. Male yesterday and we have seen the female previously. Anyone else seen them locally?
    Last edited by ducati; 09-Oct-13 at 16:26.

Default Marsh Harrier

At the risk of being a patronising ediot (apologies) have you not seen a hen harrier?

Hiya, yes we have Hen Harriers as well. This caused some consternation untill we finally found it on the RSPB site. We are pretty sure though.

originally from aberdeen,now live somewhere north of brig a doon

I have been a practicing falconer for roughly coming on 11years, and yes i believe you did see a hen harrier. I first saw one six years ago at john o groats, it was quartering the field out the back of my house, seen it several times that year, infact i could even tell you where it was nesting, but i wont. I may be wrong, but i was told on good authority that it would be unlikely to see a marsh harrier this far north. Atb

I am thinking much more likely to be a female Hen Harrier, can you give a description of the under wing colouration and the tail shape?Stunning birds and not uncommon around the county. I too know where a pair bred this year and I'm not saying either!

Aw.. we do see Hen Harriers all the time. This was definately different in shape size and colouring. I originally thought it was a red kite but no forked tail. The female is largely black although I couldn't describe the colouring of the male other than brownish with a paler tale and underwings. (Yes I know that could describe a Hen Harrier)

Yep. That's him! Thanks LIZZ not nuts afterall

Whooo hope you have notified Scottish Ornithology or The RSPB, well done,

Quote Originally Posted by LIZZ View Post
    Whooo hope you have notified Scottish Ornithology or The RSPB, well done,
    I saw the male again yesterday with two coroborating witnesses

I've not told the RSPB because if they have lost them it's their fault

Ducati, I saw a Marsh Harrier two days ago in the Mey area. I had to check as I hadn't seen one before but is was definitely a Marsh Harrier.
    Two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the Universe.

Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by veekay View Post
    Ducati, I saw a Marsh Harrier two days ago in the Mey area. I had to check as I hadn't seen one before but is was definitely a Marsh Harrier.
    Maybe one of the same pair, its only just over the hill.