Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bailie Windfarm has been paid £268,617 NOT to generate electricity since 28th June.

From the information that Ywindy has provided us with, it would seem that these contraints are on the way out anyway, thanks to all the grid upgrades that have arisen from all the windfarms being built. With the wind constraints being less than a quarter this year than they were last year, it looks like next year, they could be so insignificant to not even be worth worrying about. At £7 million per year for wind constraints, spread over 63 million of a population, thats 11.1p for each of us. I think I can live with that, and it seems a very small price to pay for the grid upgrades that are making our electricity network so much more efficient.

Thanks for the information Ywindy. Its good that you can put it into such vivid perspective for us.

Now up to £269,906.

Quote Originally Posted by ywindythesecond View Post
    Now up to £269,906.
    so less than £1300 in 18 days.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    so less than £1300 in 18 days.
    It jumped to £283,264 on 23rd October, making it an average of £1953.54 every day from 28th June to 23rd October.

As I said earlier, more constraint payments were paid to other generators pro rata.

If your real concern was constraints payments pushing up fuel bills then you would be supporting wind energy. But no, you are a professional anti-wind campaigner who only has the size of your wallet as your priority.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    As I said earlier, more constraint payments were paid to other generators pro rata.

If your real concern was constraints payments pushing up fuel bills then you would be supporting wind energy. But no, you are a professional anti-wind campaigner who only has the size of your wallet as your priority.
    "If your real concern was constraints payments pushing up fuel bills then you would be supporting wind energy."

Can you explain that to me please.

Ignore him, he's bonkers.
    Working On Behalf Of The Community!

Baillie Windfarm has now been paid £451,973 NOT to generate electricity since 28th June.
    Baillie windfarm was paid £105,187 NOT to generate electricity over Friday to Sunday last weekend.
    You pay for this.

not trying to burst your ball here windy but if you must update us each week on what they have been paid not to supply the grid with juice it would be benificial if you could provide a comparison with other forms of elelctricity generation (of a similar KW) that have received payments for non production.
    W.A.T.P.

Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    not trying to burst your ball here windy but if you must update us each week on what they have been paid not to supply the grid with juice it would be benificial if you could provide a comparison with other forms of elelctricity generation (of a similar KW) that have received payments for non production.
    This is a useful starting point from todays Telegraph http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...wind-farm.html

It includes this : "A National Grid spokesman said constraint payments to wind farm companies totalled £7 million in 2012/13, adding that this represented only four per cent of the £170 million given to all electricity generators."

Since last Friday, total Constraint payments were £895,226. One eighth of the total paid in all of 2012/13, paid out over one weekend. (Of which £440,798 was to 7 Highland Windfarms). £27,026,009 has been paid to windfarms since 1st April 2013.
    Last edited by ywindythesecond; 04-Nov-13 at 22:23. Reason: Added "to windfarms" to make the point clearer

£27,026,009 / 63,000,000 = 43p for my contribution.

Paid. Happily. No fuss.

Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post

Paid. Happily. No fuss.
    A contribution is normally made to a worthy cause. What worthy cause are you happy to have contributed to?

You just can't see it can you?
    Working On Behalf Of The Community!

Quote Originally Posted by Tubthumper View Post
    You just can't see it can you?
    Not sure what I can't see, but please persuade me how paying windfarms lots of money to not generate electricity is good for me.

Paid. Happily. No fuss.
    And if the average household energy bill is approximately £1200 then constraint payments amount to 0.03%

It's not even worth a stamp, ink and a bit of paper to make a written protest to your MP with...

Paid. Happily. No fuss.
    £7million over 365 days is £19178 a day. £27,026,009 over 217 days is £124,543 a day. A 649% increase.

I'd have thought the real issue is the prolifaration of windfarms, paid for by us. (I was looking on ebay and you can buy a second hand single turbine for a million £s) I would wonder how long a single turbine takes to pay for itself. They can't possibly be value for money because there are many people/businesss making money before they turn one revolution.

Then we have the issue discussed here that when they are turning they cost us money, when they are not turning they cost us money.

My feeling is, they are popular because they are visible and an obvious proof of us addressing obligations we have made for green energy.

Quote Originally Posted by ducati View Post
    Then we have the issue discussed here that when they are turning they cost us money, when they are not turning they cost us money.
    They are under contract to supply the grid that is why they get paid if they're told to shut down. It is no different for other contracts. For example when a parent uses a registered babysitter, they get paid even if the child is ill and the child stays at home.
    Last edited by Rheghead; 06-Nov-13 at 19:35.

Quote Originally Posted by ducati View Post
    My feeling is, they are popular because they are visible and an obvious proof of us addressing obligations we have made for green energy.
    Well they're not very popular in rural areas which have to live with them, surveys show those living in cities are marginally in favour. Of course it depends on what questions are being asked!

These are true "ivory towers" in every meaning of the word. A statement or symbol which looks impressive but is in fact wholly ineffective.
    Green but not brainwashed

Using the sun to provide hot water.
    Driving a car that gets 73 miles per gallon.....

Who gives a damn if they are popular? Build them because they are the right thing to do and will give us clean and plentiful power. The ignorance of not worrying about tomorrow in these matters, and infact in many matters, from the baby boomers, has got us in a right mess. Ignore them and get one with it.
    There are basically 3 type of people in this world, those who can count and those who cant

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast