Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: New Jobs for Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by cptdodger View Post
    That's how I could do that job, because in a small way I could make a difference. As for working for another call centre, maybe not !! I will say though, what did teach me a valuable lesson is having had to deal with the Child Support Agency for over twenty years. It taught me, if I ever said to one of my complaints customers that I would phone them, I made sure I did, even if I did'nt have an update for them, I can't tell you how many times the CSA said they would contact me and did not bother over the years, and how frustrating that was. Another thing it taught me, was not to lose my temper with the person I was speaking to at any call centre, I happened to phone (especially the CSA !) because at the end of the day, it's not the individuals fault, it's the companies, they are just trying to earn a living like I was at BT, and believe you me I was at the receiving end of some irate calls, but I came to understand they were annoyed at BT (and trust me, I could not blame them) and not me personally!
    If you cannot get behind your employer, but are happy to take their money, I wonder whose ethics should be in question really?

Quote Originally Posted by ducati View Post
    If you cannot get behind your employer, but are happy to take their money, I wonder whose ethics should be in question really?
    So, what you are saying then, I should have just ignored every single mistake BT ever made, and not given people back money they were entitled to, because you deem that to be not getting behind my employer ? My ethics are not in question, I was employed to do that job, which I did to the best of my ability.

So, what you are saying then, I should have just ignored every single mistake BT ever made, and not given people back money they were entitled to, because you deem that to be not getting behind my employer ? My ethics are not in question, I was employed to do that job, which I did to the best of my ability.
    Well, think back to the interview, when asked why would you like to work for BT? Did you say well I don't really care it is just a job to me or did you just lie?

Well, think back to the interview, when asked why would you like to work for BT? Did you say well I don't really care it is just a job to me or did you just lie?
    I was'nt asked that question actually, because I did'nt apply to work for them.

I was'nt asked that question actually, because I did'nt apply to work for them.
    OK.................

OK.................
    Sorry, it appears I have confused you, I was approached by the call centre manager who I had worked with previously in Tesco's, when I was a Security Manager and he was a Store Manager in England. His wife who I had also worked with in Tesco's when I was in Dundee, who had since moved back there, found out I had moved back to Dundee, and he asked if I was interested in a job at BT. I did fill in all the relevant forms and passed all the relevant test and so on before I was employed by them. I am not sixteen years old, I had had my career, done what I had set out to achieve, so yes, he was perfectly aware that that was "just a job" for me, a means to an end, however you wish to put it. I have never lied to anybody, as to why I wanted a job, and I resent that insinuation. I worked hard at any job they gave me, and honestly gave 100%. My resentment towards BT came a long time after I left, it's thanks to them I am stuck here. Let's hope that has cleared things up for you.

Sorry, it appears I have confused you, I was approached by the call centre manager who I had worked with previously in Tesco's, when I was a Security Manager and he was a Store Manager in England. His wife who I had also worked with in Tesco's when I was in Dundee, who had since moved back there, found out I had moved back to Dundee, and he asked if I was interested in a job at BT. I did fill in all the relevant forms and passed all the relevant test and so on before I was employed by them. I am not sixteen years old, I had had my career, done what I had set out to achieve, so yes, he was perfectly aware that that was "just a job" for me, a means to an end, however you wish to put it. I have never lied to anybody, as to why I wanted a job, and I resent that insinuation. I worked hard at any job they gave me, and honestly gave 100%. My resentment towards BT came a long time after I left, it's thanks to them I am stuck here. Let's hope that has cleared things up for you.
    Well, I know when I was recruiting, I would never have taken someone on if I believed they were just along for the ride. One of the most difficult parts of the interview process is seperating the genuinely committed from the also rans.
    There is a lot of criticism of business in respect of employment but I believe we have a right to employ the best people for our needs and if they don't measure up........

Well, I know when I was recruiting, I would never have taken someone on if I believed they were just along for the ride. One of the most difficult parts of the interview process is seperating the genuinely committed from the also rans.
    There is a lot of criticism of business in respect of employment but I believe we have a right to employ the best people for our needs and if they don't measure up........
    Well I did "measure up" and I was there for over four years. And I also recruited, when I was a Customer Service Manager, Security Manager, and a Store Manager, so I have a fair idea what an interview process entails, and I did employ the best people. Now, I was contacted yesterday by somebody who told me who you are, and all I will say on a public forum is, you have some nerve questioning my ethics and my commitment to any position I have held. However, you carry on taking personal swipes at somebody you know nothing about if it makes you feel better. This is the last thing I will say on the subject.

Yep but what do you mean by business : ie sme's, by definition have to have the "right" people ( close team etc so attitude plays a great part in the recruitment process along with skills ), large anonymous corporates / agencies, especially for call centre work, are very different and will take anyone who passes the entry process...which is usually more than an interview...process typically involves a skills test, then if successful a brief interview, reference checks etc, anyway asking someone why they wanted to work with a company is subjective, and responses are meaningless. With attrition typically running at 25%, call centres are under great pressure to meet service level targets or face financial penalties hence reason that skills are the key factor. To cut to the chase, there is a world of difference between the personality of an sme and that of a corporate entity.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345