Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wick Adsl 2

I've been on ADSL2+ via AAISP (Andrews & Arnold) through TalkTalk Wholesale since June-ish. People need to understand there's a difference between the Wholesale and Retail arms.

In terms of speed I get about 22-24Mbps down and 1.1-1.4 Mbps up (non-Annex M). I was getting about 15-17Mbps down before I switched my line profile from 12dB (SF_12_24M_1M) to 6dB (SF_6_24M_1M). So if anyone else thinks they should be getting a faster speed but aren't get onto your ISP for a line profile change, assuming they don't give you that functionality via their control panel. It seems the line profile defaults to 12dB for some reason. I've also notice lower latency and less-to-no random disconnects.

For additional potential speed improvements I'd also recommend buying decent microfilters and decent RJ11 cables, you could also try a better master socket faceplate or an iPlate for a slightly cheaper option. Finally while I'm on this subject if you have a long line (2.9KM) or a line with bad stats then you want an ADSL modem or router that uses a Broadcom chipset and if you have a short line or a line with good stats then you want an ADSL modem or router that uses a Trend Micro chipset.

The reason the BT ADSL2+ rollout has stalled and the date changed once again is after activating a few people they realised they didn't have the capacity because they massively over subscribe the links, because BT are a monopolistic and profiteering company that uses cheap equipment.

Been keeping an eye on my upgrade.
    Was supposed to be 31/10/13, then back to 2/11/13, then 13/11/13.
    Now just checked and its out to July 14.
    Anyone know what's happened?

Quote Originally Posted by LENSMAN View Post
    Been keeping an eye on my upgrade.
    Was supposed to be 31/10/13, then back to 2/11/13, then 13/11/13.
    Now just checked and its out to July 14.
    Anyone know what's happened?
    It's changed again, this time it's jumped backwards to 29/11/2013.

Looking at the Roll out dated for fibre, suspect we will be going straight to it in 2015.

Just Outside The Gateway To Hell 3rd House On The Left

If asdl 2 is anything to go by 2020 is more like it not 2015
    Give a child a hammer and the whole world becomes a nail

Quote Originally Posted by LENSMAN View Post
    Looking at the Roll out dated for fibre, suspect we will be going straight to it in 2015.
    It's BT that have the contract to roll out Fibre Optic, so I have zero confidence that it will materialise in 2015.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12