Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wick Adsl 2

Just Outside The Gateway To Hell 3rd House On The Left

Question Wick Adsl 2

Apparently the switch on date for this was today according to this Link

Anyone know anything more about it as the dates were always bumped when it got close to the switch on date

Cheers

TAOD
    Give a child a hammer and the whole world becomes a nail

Sadly Sam often does not seem to know :-). If you are in Wick you can put your Telephone number into this link http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome and it will tell you what is available, currently saying 30th October, which as it is not a "quarter" is perhaps more hopeful.

It looks like the upgrade has actually happened. I received a letter from my ISP telling me that my broadband was to be upgraded on the 2nd Oct. My BB was down for a little while earlier, and when it came back on I ran a speed test. My download speed has only increased by around 1 meg, but my upload speed has nearly doubled to around 0.85mb, so it does look like we are now Adsl2+ enabled. I'm assuming that my download speed hasn't increased by much as my line profile is probably still set on what it was for Adsl Max, and will need time to rise. I can't be sure of that though, as when I run a speed test on the BT site to try and find out what my line rate and profile is set at, the test doesn't run properly at the moment, so all I can get is my download and upload rates.

Does anyone know of another speed tester that gives you full diagnostics for your line?

Yeah the BT Wholesale ADSL2+ upgrade has finally gone through.

Though if you were with a decent ISP you could have got ADSL2+ before now using the TalkTalk/Cable and Wireless backend which give you individual control over line settings and profiles.

Quote Originally Posted by RecQuery View Post
    Though if you were with a decent ISP you could have got ADSL2+ before now using the TalkTalk/Cable and Wireless backend which give you individual control over line settings and profiles.
    TalkTalk are the last ISP I would associate with being decent. I have never personally used them, but that's down to their terrible reputation and the horror stories I have heard about their service. Have they sorted themselves out these days?

I've been with TalkTalk for months now and apart from when the cable was broken by external means, the service has been fantastic - great speed and very reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    TalkTalk are the last ISP I would associate with being decent. I have never personally used them, but that's down to their terrible reputation and the horror stories I have heard about their service. Have they sorted themselves out these days?
    I'm with AAISP just using the TalkTalk backhaul, like most ISPs use the BT backhaul. There's TalkTalk Wholesale (also called Cable and Wireless) and TalkTalk Retail. Much like you have 4 different BT companies (Openreach, Wholesale, Retail and Global Services) who in theory are supposed to class each other as different entities and not give preferential treatment... and if you believe that one I have a bridge to sell you.

http://wiki.aa.org.uk/Migrating_to_TalkTalk_Wholesale

I've had a response to my letter to my ISP (Plusnet) about the upgrade and BT are still stalling on this even though the work has been done.

Morgan Fletcher - CSC Analyst

3:44pm, Friday 4 Oct 2013

Thank you for your query.

I have checked your local exchange for the products available to you. The BT systems are recording a delay in the ADSL2 and 2+ packages in your area. Here is the information from the BT systems:
    Featured Products
    WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 17 -- 10 to 19.5 03-Nov-13
    WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 17 Up to 1.5 10 to 19.5 03-Nov-13
    ADSL Max Up to 7.5 -- 6.5 to 8 Available
    Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available

As recorded above, it would appear BT now have an estimated date of November for the ADSL2 and 2+ products to be available in your area.

Please accept our apologies for this delay, we have no information as to why it has occurred.

Once the services in your area are updated we will be informed by BT and your services will automatically updated.

When this happens you will require an ADSL2+ router, if you haven't already got one of these, contact us closer to the time or once your services have switched over, and we can provide you with one if you wish.

If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to respond to this message and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

Also if i want an ADSL2 router (i already have my own) Plusnet will give me one at a price, not free though despite me being on contract. So looks like some of us will have to wait just that little bit longer

What sort of download speeds are people in the town getting since the upgrade?

Just Outside The Gateway To Hell 3rd House On The Left

The only people that I am aware of getting adsl 2 speeds are talk talk / aol users and there reporting speeds of about 15 - 18 mb (Well the ones i know of) everyone else hasn't been switched on as of yet and prob will be towards the end of the month / start of next I would assume
    Give a child a hammer and the whole world becomes a nail

That's not bad, and perhaps better than I thought it might be....

The plot thickens. Even though I had a text message from my ISP (Post Office) on the 2nd of October, to confirm that my broadband had been upgraded, I had a conversation with a BT engineer this afternoon, and he told me that the exchange hasn't been upgraded yet, and they still have no definite confirmation date. He did say, that everything is there in the exchange and ready to be integrated, but the dates they are given for the work keep changing. So, my ISP couldn't have upgraded my service, despite what the letter and text message said. What this doesn't explain, is why my upload speed has doubled to just under 1 meg. Something did happen on the 2nd, but it's not what is supposed to have happened. This whole exchange upgrade is nothing but a shambles.

There will never be a point when everyone is happy with their broadband. We survived on dial up for long enough, with typically 28k speeds. Then someone invented broadband and the demand has continued to exceed the supply. Next, everyone will be wanting 4K or even 8K TV's and will want to "watch on demand" off the internet. So even when you get superfast fibre at 100M, it still wont be fast enough to feed your 4K TV

If everyone went back to using terrestrial TV or Sky, then I suspect whats left for broadband will seem an awful lot better.

Gizmo, as of early September Post Office broadband has been provided through Talk Talk who have LLU available in Wick exchange, as you are not using BT equipment in the exchange then it is possible for you to be on ADSL2+ even though BT are not able to provide this yet

Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post
    Next, everyone will be wanting 4K or even 8K TV's and will want to "watch on demand" off the internet. So even when you get superfast fibre at 100M, it still wont be fast enough to feed your 4K TV
    It's been said that a good 15 meg connection will be enough to stream 4K content, so a 100 meg fibre connection will be more than adequate.

If you are happy with the reduction in picture quality due to compression....

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by gillsbay View Post
    Gizmo, as of early September Post Office broadband has been provided through Talk Talk who have LLU available in Wick exchange, as you are not using BT equipment in the exchange then it is possible for you to be on ADSL2+ even though BT are not able to provide this yet
    You know, that info explains why my service, which used to be top notch, has been pretty average lately. The Post Office kept that quiet. I certainly don't recall getting any communication from them saying they were moving off the BT Network and on to Talk Talk. I think a migration is needed.

Edit: That is what has happened. I don't know why I haven't noticed in this last week, as I have done many speed tests at speedtester.net, but the network they list that my IP address is on, is no longer listed as BT. It's changed to Tiscali, who own Talk Talk. I've lost my connection and had to reset my router at least twice a day in this last week. My speed has been all over the place, and I've had trouble accessing certain sites that I previously had no trouble with. Looks like it's all down to being on Talk Talk's network.

The search for a new ISP begins
    Last edited by Gizmo; 08-Oct-13 at 23:40.

Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post
    If you are happy with the reduction in picture quality due to compression....
    Not so, the new HEVC data compression codec will see to that.

Ive been with talk talk for a couple of months now and have no probs at all with them, I didnt want to switch from john lewis but due to BT moving the goalpost constantly about the upgrade, I grabbed the bull by the horns and jumped ship!! Glad i did im on an average of 14 for my download and 1 for my upload. If you ask talk talk they will change your profile to get max speed etc, BT never did that, they only throttled my speeds. I havent been slowed down at any time of the day wheras when "piggybacking" on BT's network it was constantly being throttled. As an ex-BT retail employee i hated talk talk because of the horror stories customers would tell me, but I must admit I cant fault them for their service, even their Tv service is great. I took a risk by switching but so far its paid off.
    The world is a system its only how you work the sytem that counts...............

I contacted PlusNet on the 4th of October about an upgrade and the reply I got was

"Dear Mr Manson,

We have now placed the order to regrade your broadband service.

This is due to complete on the 11/10/13"

And an Internal note at the bottom "regrade to 21CN placed through Install Diary"

So I'll just have to wait and see.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast