Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Wick Adsl 2

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Just Outside The Gateway To Hell 3rd House On The Left

Question Wick Adsl 2

Apparently the switch on date for this was today according to this Link

Anyone know anything more about it as the dates were always bumped when it got close to the switch on date

Cheers

TAOD
    Give a child a hammer and the whole world becomes a nail

Sadly Sam often does not seem to know :-). If you are in Wick you can put your Telephone number into this link http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome and it will tell you what is available, currently saying 30th October, which as it is not a "quarter" is perhaps more hopeful.

It looks like the upgrade has actually happened. I received a letter from my ISP telling me that my broadband was to be upgraded on the 2nd Oct. My BB was down for a little while earlier, and when it came back on I ran a speed test. My download speed has only increased by around 1 meg, but my upload speed has nearly doubled to around 0.85mb, so it does look like we are now Adsl2+ enabled. I'm assuming that my download speed hasn't increased by much as my line profile is probably still set on what it was for Adsl Max, and will need time to rise. I can't be sure of that though, as when I run a speed test on the BT site to try and find out what my line rate and profile is set at, the test doesn't run properly at the moment, so all I can get is my download and upload rates.

Does anyone know of another speed tester that gives you full diagnostics for your line?

Yeah the BT Wholesale ADSL2+ upgrade has finally gone through.

Though if you were with a decent ISP you could have got ADSL2+ before now using the TalkTalk/Cable and Wireless backend which give you individual control over line settings and profiles.

Quote Originally Posted by RecQuery View Post
    Though if you were with a decent ISP you could have got ADSL2+ before now using the TalkTalk/Cable and Wireless backend which give you individual control over line settings and profiles.
    TalkTalk are the last ISP I would associate with being decent. I have never personally used them, but that's down to their terrible reputation and the horror stories I have heard about their service. Have they sorted themselves out these days?

I've been with TalkTalk for months now and apart from when the cable was broken by external means, the service has been fantastic - great speed and very reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    TalkTalk are the last ISP I would associate with being decent. I have never personally used them, but that's down to their terrible reputation and the horror stories I have heard about their service. Have they sorted themselves out these days?
    I'm with AAISP just using the TalkTalk backhaul, like most ISPs use the BT backhaul. There's TalkTalk Wholesale (also called Cable and Wireless) and TalkTalk Retail. Much like you have 4 different BT companies (Openreach, Wholesale, Retail and Global Services) who in theory are supposed to class each other as different entities and not give preferential treatment... and if you believe that one I have a bridge to sell you.

http://wiki.aa.org.uk/Migrating_to_TalkTalk_Wholesale