Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New ideas for improving Caithness

Try quoting in context . Trolling again :0)

Quote Originally Posted by RagnarRocks View Post
    Try quoting in context . Trolling again :0)
    I apologise if I have taken you out of context.
    For the avoidance of doubt can you please confirm the context of the post in question?
    Last edited by mi16; 01-Oct-13 at 13:20.
    W.A.T.P.

Quote Originally Posted by rich62_uk View Post
    Maybe then we should get back to the areas heritage and start renovating some of the 'old' buildings rather than build new.
    Cant I'm afraid. They will never meet building regs without dismantling and re-building. Much, much, cheaper to build new.

There is a reason they were abandoned in the first place.
    Last edited by ducati; 02-Oct-13 at 12:57.

Tourist dont want to see new they like the old, wouldnt it in the long run (if tourist are encouraged) make money for Caithness if old buildings were put to use ?

Tourist dont want to see new they like the old, wouldnt it in the long run (if tourist are encouraged) make money for Caithness if old buildings were put to use ?
    Caithness doesnt exactly have many feature packed old buildings that woudl have the tourists flocking in.
    W.A.T.P.

Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    Caithness doesnt exactly have many feature packed old buildings that woudl have the tourists flocking in.
    1. Build a new nuclear reactor
    2. Store radioactive rubbish storage facilities
    3. Provide huge subsidies to off shore tidal developers

All 3 create work, tourism...largely low paid short seasonal work, so why bother, leave the tourists to do what they do....pass through Caithness to Orkney which has an established tourism culture....Caithness doesn't, never had and never will. WHo in their right mind would come to caithness on holiday...theres 2 days at best in Caithness.

Thats it, all thats to it

Quote Originally Posted by rob murray View Post
    All 3 create work, tourism...largely low paid short seasonal work, so why bother, leave the tourists to do what they do....pass through Caithness to Orkney which has an established tourism culture....Caithness doesn't, never had and never will. WHo in their right mind would come to caithness on holiday...theres 2 days at best in Caithness.

Oh..a bombing range, military base would work to, after all in 8 -10 years time who will be left !

I dont know about cloud cuckoo land, but in my world it is called reality.
    Just as well you live in your own wee world eh lol

Aye along with a whole bunch of idiots
    W.A.T.P.

Evict them, throw them !!

Not if you have to live in them.

takes one and a better one to know one and describe one......as my old granny used to say

Oh..a bombing range, military base would work to, after all in 8 -10 years time who will be left !
    Given your first two posts above, does anyone live with you and the cuckoos in your cloudy wee world?

Quote Originally Posted by secrets in symmetry View Post
    Given your first two posts above, does anyone live with you and the cuckoos in your cloudy wee world?
    Two excellent posts if I say so myself, by definition, as you say its my world so its just me that lives there as for cuckoo's nah plenty of pigeons though lol lol lol

Quote Originally Posted by secrets in symmetry View Post
    Ok why do the vast majority of tourists motor through to Scrabster ??? WHats there in Caithness to attract and to hold people and don't give me the guff about Caithness being a welcoming place....so is Palma Majorca ! The place has no identity, ie not gael nor norse....the vast majority of visitors to scotland wish to consume what they see as authentic scottish experiences or what the perceive as scottish experiences....Caithness....does it / will it ever fit the bill ?? Whats wrong with building a new reactor / storage facilities anyhow...if it wasn't for Dounreay a Caithness would have been another Stroma ! Do I hear cuckoo's ???

Granted, I don't live in Caithness - though I wish I did.

Prosperity revolves around the production of something someone else is willing to pay for. Long term prosperity for an area flows from 3 things in the modern age, and right now Caithness is moving sideways or backwards on most of them:

1) Transportation - how quickly you can move goods and people around. Caithness is in a tough spot here.
    2) Energy - The amount of energy generated per person in a local area is actually directly related to wealth. Caithness could be the power source for most of Britain and benefit greatly from it.
    3) Information - If you had #2, you could find a way to become a good place to set up and run data centers for all sorts of information companies. From that would flow good high-tech jobs that would attract / interest the younger workers that some are concerned would never settle in the north.

I personally have considered if I should try to use the money I have made over the years to address #2 or #3, but think that I would probably have too many angry people wanting to fight such an effort. But given the declining business environment in the US, opening shop in the UK is looking better.

'scuse me are we all talking about the same county? Caithness has scenery, wildlife and archaeology to challenge anywhere in The United Kingdom. It has beaches to die for and although it might be a few feet short of a mountain it sure has some high hills!

Can I ask, why does virtually every post on the "Org" degenerate into some kind of battle? This one started sensibly then got hijacked by trolls. Also if we dispense with wind, wave and nuclear energy (because nobody likes to look at the generators), how is anybody going to afford their own bills let alone have spare money to visit Caithness.

Quote Originally Posted by LIZZ View Post
    'scuse me are we all talking about the same county? Caithness has scenery, wildlife and archaeology to challenge anywhere in The United Kingdom. It has beaches to die for and although it might be a few feet short of a mountain it sure has some high hills!
    Yep granted and undisputed, but the above has hardly attracted droves of tourists, not in my life time, its also a wee bit cold.

Dounreay could be converted into an extermination camp for the long term unemployed as advocated by some on here...
    Could even put them to work first helping with the decommissioning of the more radioactive parts as they won't need any safety equipment since they are about to die anyway.
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast