Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: looking for my ancestors .. surnames Stewart and Manson

Default looking for my ancestors .. surnames Stewart and Manson

Can anyone please help me trace my ancestors in and around Tongue.
    I am looking for information on:
    Robert campbell Stewart/Manson born 1892
    Sophia Stewart born 1867 who married Angus Manson in 1885.
    I think Angus died one year after they were married.
    I am fairly new to genealogy so would love it if anyone could help.

Thanks Brenda

Brenda,

Welcome to the message board, and I'm sorry that your first ever posting has been attacked by the dreaded 'spam'.

I have traced family from Portskerra, Strathy, Melvich, and Durness. Now, although I don't have any links to the people you have inquired about I just want to say ignore the 'spammers'. There have been various message boards bothered with the same thing in the past, and it always gets sorted out.

Hang on in there, and hopefully you will find someone interested in the same family.

As you give your location as Edinburgh it would definitely be worthwhile to visit scotlandspeople, assuming you haven't done so already. When I do occasionally manage to visit my sister and brother-in-law in Edinburgh I always make time for a visit. It can be more rewarding doing searches there on a one-day pass than throwing credits at the scotlandspeople website (which I do very often), especially if you are researching common surnames.

Good luck with the research.

Steven

Hi Brenda,
    does it give father's name on Robert Campbell Stewart's 1892 birth certificate? as it will not be Angus Manson.
    There is a Sophia Stewart born 1867 Dornoch, Sutherland to Dolina Stewart. Dolina Stewart married Dornoch 1868 to Andrew Rose, she died 1876 Dornoch. I cannot find Sophia Stewart on 1871 or 1881 census but 1871 census Dornoch shows Andrew Rose & wife Dolina age 24 dau Catherine age 2 & Helen Stewart mother in law, widow age 49
    You will have to get certificates from scotlandspeople or have a visit to register house to confirm this.
    birth 1892 for Robert Campbell Stewart Tongue Sutherland. death cert 1940 Geo. Sq Edinburgh Sophia Manson other surname Stewart, death cert 1876 Dornoch Dolina Rose /Stewart. mar 1868 Dolina Stewart.
    Dolina Stewart's parents were possibly Peter Stewart & Helen Munro, Dolina's marriage & death cert should confirm this.
    happy hunting
    Kris.

1901 Census has Sophia Manson, born Tongue about 1868, as a servant to the Miller family in Durness.
    Scotlands People confirms Sophia Stewart married Angus Manson 1885 at Tongue.
    Just out of interest, my gg grandmother, born in Caithness, was known as Sophia, but her birth name was Sybilla. Her married name was Sophia Stewart

Default Stewart/Manson ancestors

Thank you to everyone who replied to my post. I have done a lots of work in Edinburgh register House and can confirm my great grandmother is Sophia Stewart who married Angus Manson 9/1/1881. Angus died 1 year later and Sophia died 27/1/1940 in Edinburgh. During the year of marriage a son was born "Alexander". Sophia went on to have another son Robert (my grandfather) born in Tongue 6/5/1892. I have his birth certificate Robert Campbell Stewart" but can find no update of his name to Manson! This is unusual given his marriage certificate in 3/9/1920 names him as "Robert Campbell Manson" and naming his father as "William Campbell Manson". Also on the certificate is mother named as "Sophia Manson" nee Stewart. To date I can't find a marriage certificate for her marriage to William and I don't think I will as on her death certificate it has Angus as her husband!I would love to resolve this little mystery, if anyone has any information I would love to hear from you.Thank you so much and happy new year to all xx Brenda