Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: There is a new doberman puppy . . .

Default There is a new doberman puppy . . .

. . . in our community, with bandages on its ears - presumably to make them stick up permanently.

Cosmetic surgery (as I would call it) seems to me to be an unnecessary procedure and I'm wondering if breeders can (or should be allowed) to demand that this be done.

Tilly Teckel Guest

And this is your business why, exactly?

I thought this procedure was illegal in the UK? Our Doberman had it done but that wasn't our choice as we got him from the pound. If we had got him as a puppy he would still have his natural ears.
    I really hate being bipolar. It's awesome!!!

Quote Originally Posted by George Brims View Post
    I thought this procedure was illegal in the UK? Our Doberman had it done but that wasn't our choice as we got him from the pound. If we had got him as a puppy he would still have his natural ears.
    As the op is in Canada your post is irrelevant
    W.A.T.P.

Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    As the op is in Canada your post is irrelevant
    As this is the Caithness community web site your post is snarky.
    I really hate being bipolar. It's awesome!!!

Maybe it has been savaged by another "divil dug"? At least if they are savaging each other, they aren't savaging humans I guess....

Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post
    Maybe it has been savaged by another "divil dug"? At least if they are savaging each other, they aren't savaging humans I guess....
    What an ignorant comment to make! You've been watching too many horror films I think!
    "Until one has loved an animal part of their soul remains unawakened"

Nah, "Still Game"!

Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post
    Nah, "Still Game"!
    Well as it's a programme about moaning owld gits that disna surprise me!

Seriously though it makes me mad how certain breeds of dog get such a bad reputation which they don't deserve and this is mainly down to the media and people like orkneycadian!

Yes there are 'dog attacks' but we never get the full story. A dog will only attack if it is goaded, 'trained' to (by eejits!), has been abused or if it is frightened and/or in pain.
    There are no such things as bad dogs.Just bad owners.
    Last edited by Liz; 28-Sep-13 at 13:26.

Maybe the reintroduction of Dog Licenses (for the owners, not the dogs) needs to happen & in order to get one instead of a few quid at the post office there should be background checks & maybe even a requirement to have to sit some kind of test to demonstrate suitability.
    That should help prevent these so called "eejits" from owning dogs.
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Liz View Post
    Seriously though it makes me mad how certain breeds of dog get such a bad reputation which they don't deserve and this is mainly down to the media and people like orkneycadian!

Yes there are 'dog attacks' but we never get the full story. A dog will only attack if it is goaded, 'trained' to (by eejits!), has been abused or if it is frightened and/or in pain.
    There are no such things as bad dogs.Just bad owners.
    Too true Liz, unfortunately there are also some idiots that refuse to accept that and still continue to slate the dog/breed rather than the owner.
    Dobermans are no more likely to be vicious than a Pomeranian, the problems arise when inexperienced people, young people, ignorant people or morons buy a dog based on the breeds ability to 'look' dangerous or cool rather than on whether that particular breed is suitable for that particular person.
    Any person that fits the criteria above has the ability to knowingly or unknowingly create a dog prone to biting no matter what the breed and it just shows yet more ignorance when someone would suggest that bandaged ears would in any way suggest the dog got into a fight. Yes, the dog may have been attacked and if it was a small breed I doubt Orkneycadian would have made that comment, even though a small dog is as capable of "savaging" another dog as a big dog is.

If both ears are bandaged it would suggest - given the breed - that it has had its ears docked and yes, as far as I am aware this is illegal in this country as it should be. There are many reasons why ears shouldn't be docked but IMO the main two points would be the pain that is caused (in some breeds such as Great Danes the ears have to be cut considerably due to their size) and also that dogs born with erect ears have a coating of hair inside the entire ear canal to protect it from foreign material entering, whereas as dogs such as Dobies and Danes don't because the flat ears make it unnecessary. Without the protection from those hairs the dog is exposed to all manner of foreign bodies entering.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/

Well said PP and as you say the bandaged ears might indeed mean the poor dog's ears have been docked which is barbaric!

Sorry to the OP for hijacking your thread and going off point but orkneycadian's remarks just annoyed me so much. Mind you that will have been his/her aim as the trolls and know it alls have taken over what used to be a good community forum.

lol
    Well this is a suprise same people droning on.. same people replying.. why dont you all hire a hotel for a week and run it out your system... lmao anyways ..imma exit and enjoy a thing called life you should try it..its better than sitting on a geriatric forum..trying to abuse others without getting banned lol funeeh guys, and to op this is scotland....we aint intrested....
    Last edited by cesare; 28-Sep-13 at 14:27.

I am amazed to see there are still those who refer to certain breeds as 'devil dogs' which is so outdated and totally untrue as there is no such thing. Adding these tags to breeds only perpetuates ignorance in relation to our canine friends, avoiding who the true 'devils' are which is irresponsible owners whose only though it attempting to 'look good' with a strong dog running round them. Maybe time for Orkneycadian should have another look at what he/she thinks was a witty remark....but, afraid it sounded simply like an idiotic remark and not in the least funny.