Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hs2

Lol i dont have ALL the answers but I do have some of the answers. Thats because I bother my backside to find them out and have been doing for the last 12 months. So when months ago someone said on here that the pandas cost tax payers money, i checked it out. Thats what I try to do Rheg. A script? Nope. research ... Yup. Months spent asking questions ... Yup. That might be hard for you to grasp being as you have me pegged as some stupid simpering woman who you can easily dismiss as foolish but nevertheless Rheg, thats what I try to do, research and understand. You could find the answers too if you bothered to look.

Quote Originally Posted by squidge View Post
    Lol i dont have ALL the answers but I do have some of the answers. Thats because I bother my backside to find them out and have been doing for the last 12 months. So when months ago someone said on here that the pandas cost tax payers money, i checked it out. Thats what I try to do Rheg. A script? Nope. research ... Yup. Months spent asking questions ... Yup. That might be hard for you to grasp being as you have me pegged as some stupid simpering woman who you can easily dismiss as foolish but nevertheless Rheg, thats what I try to do, research and understand. You could find the answers too if you bothered to look.
    So how come your research has been found out to be null and void so many times? You just seem to gloss over the details when your research fails to convince. Just saying.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

What is null and void Rheg? Are the pandas funded by the tax payer? Are HS2 and London sewers NOT designated as UK wide projects and the costs removed from Barnett Consequentials? Are the A9 upgrades, the rail link, the forth crossing NOT being funded by the Scottish Government?

No taxpayers money is being used to fund the pandas.
    no just the welcome party eh
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/293...-nearly-43-000

£45k to welcome in something that has increased the income of the zoo by £5m is a bargin.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    £45k to welcome in something that has increased the income of the zoo by £5m is a bargin.
    firstly that wasn't the point,Squidge said it hadn't cost taxpayers!
    but as you have mentioned it, as you said £45k of taxpayers money to increase "the income of the zoo" by £5m
    and by the way, you forgot to add a list of the cost of the bears ????

Quote Originally Posted by equusdriving
    firstly that wasn't the point,Squidge said it hadn't cost taxpayers!
    I was referring to Gollach's statement that the Panda's were costing us £700k per year and was simply pointing out that it was funded by the zoo, not the tax payer. Not really sure what Squidge has to do with it.

but as you have mentioned it, as you said £45k of taxpayers money to increase "the income of the zoo" by £5m
    Didn't you mention it by posting the link?

you forgot to add a list of the cost of the bears ????
    Not really sure what you mean by this. Are you referring to the cost of getting the Pandas here, the care expenses or something else? If you have a list, I'd be interested to see it.

I was referring to Gollach's statement that the Panda's were costing us £700k per year and was simply pointing out that it was funded by the zoo, not the tax payer. Not really sure what Squidge has to do with it
    .Oh really,"£45k to welcome in something that has increased the income of the zoo by £5m is a bargin." where in Golachs statement does it mention £45k ? oh yeah that's right it doesn't, so obviously Squidges connection is that I was responding to her, and you questioned my response and then said you was referring to Golach who had never mentioned it

Didn't you mention it by posting the link?
    so was you referring to Gollach or me? you seem confused
    Last edited by equusdriving; 26-Sep-13 at 11:31.

Quote Originally Posted by equusdriving View Post
    firstly that wasn't the point,Squidge said it hadn't cost taxpayers money?
    Ah Equus so many hairs for you to split. I said the pandas are not funded by the taxpayer. They arent and lets remember that Edinburgh Zoo is actually a non profit organisation working hard for conservation and doing valuable research. 5 million pounds extra put back into high quality scientific research. If £45K encouraged that sort of increase in income and research money then its money well spent.

Its a shame you dont get so upset about millions of pounds of taxpayers money going to ATOS or A4e simply to end up in bonuses for it executives or money in the pockets of shareholders off the back of the misery of millions of people.

Origianlly I was referrig to Gollach's post here and then, the £45k, for those who are not keeping up, was based entirely on the link you (equusdriving) posted here.

Please tell me which point I am about to argue on, because so far I have pointed out a mis-conception which was accepted as such and then stated that I thought £45k was a bargain.

I, please forgive my tired mind, still agree with my original statements.

and then, the £45k, for those who are not keeping up, was based entirely on the link you (equusdriving) posted here.
    so that would be the one where I answered and quoted Squidge then? only as you asked what it had to do with Squidge I didn't think you could mean that one.
    Please tell me which point I am about to argue on,
    I Wouldn't have thought you would have a lot of grounds to argue about making a clear contradiction but that is entirely up to you
    I, please forgive my tired mind,
    apology accepted

Ah Equus so many hairs for you to split. .
    yes you certainly make it easy

Aye maybe I do at that lol. You seem to be determined to suggest I'm lying but as I amn't you end up with nothing of any point to say at all. One liners add nothing to the discussion but on ya go if it amuses you ...

I seem to recall this subject cropping up previously in the independence debate, with a point being put forward, that if we ever leave the UK, then we have no right to expect anything from them that will benefit Scotland. If the remainder of the UK wish to build an infrastructure that extends to their northern reaches, and no further, then thats their call. We can only greet when we have to take a horse and cart to the borders to join the train service throughout the remainder of the UK.

No doubt some will say that our taxes or oil would be paying for it, and in any intermediate period, should we become independent, that will always be a bone of contention. But in the long run, if we did become independent, then I fear that we will continually have disparity and things that do not dovetail over the border the way we would like.

That IS their call, you are right but there are many cross border infrastructure projects in Europe. There are funds to draw down and priorities which are set in Europe. There will be projects which the UK and Scotland would want to work together on. The difference is that this will be done from a point of view of negotiation and agreement,like the channel tunnel, not because Scotland has no choice but to contribute.

The horse and cart analogy is as useless as the greece and nigeria comparisons we have seen already this week. What all three of these comments suggest is that Scotland is too poor to afford anything on its own. That is not true. The economy of Scotland matches that of the UK without oil. Even at the lowest estimates oil will increase the wealth of an Independent Scotland but even without oil Scotland is putting in the borders rail link from its existing budget. Hardly a cart track. I hope we WILL have disparity. In our tax systems and policies, in our welfare state, in our poverty figures. We already have disparity in our Health Service, thank goodness.
    Last edited by squidge; 28-Sep-13 at 09:10.

High speed trains are great. They make for smoother, less stressful journeys than flying, and they're often quicker (for journeys of less than 1000km).

Quote Originally Posted by secrets in symmetry View Post
    High speed trains are great. They make for smoother, less stressful journeys than flying, and they're often quicker (for journeys of less than 1000km).
    I hate all forms of public transport with a passion. But, I recall a TGV journey I had to take for work where you could buy amazing food for lunch that was cheap, pay in Sterling and receive the change in Francs at a reasonable exchange rate. Contrasted with the sort of quality service you could get from British Rail at the time and you will realise why I am such a fan of privatisation.
    Last edited by ducati; 28-Sep-13 at 22:22.

I don't know why the secessionist eejits moan about HS2. If they were to get their way, then HS2 would be built in a foreign country, and be paid for by foreign taxpayers - in which case it would be none of their business. At the same time, they would renationalise Scottish rail, which would result in slow trains, poor reliability, and dreadful customer service.

I like the TGV and the Bullet Train, I haven't been on any of the others.

No No No No No........ Think back please when it was Caithness county council, there was No weeds on the paths, No weed killer put down, clean and smooth footpaths, roads throughout caithness kept in great condition, and i could go on and on, because the money generated in Caithness was put back into caithness, Not now.............. its taken from us ............ Highland council .....Eh ......just look at Inverness, ....no expenses spared there EH...... Thats our money from Caithness being spent down there ? ? ? /

Quote Originally Posted by gaza View Post
    No No No No No........ Think back please when it was Caithness county council, there was No weeds on the paths, No weed killer put down, clean and smooth footpaths, roads throughout caithness kept in great condition, and i could go on and on, because the money generated in Caithness was put back into caithness, Not now.............. its taken from us ............ Highland council .....Eh ......just look at Inverness, ....no expenses spared there EH...... Thats our money from Caithness being spent down there ? ? ? /
    spend spend spend!
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast