Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Labour Party running scared

Quote Originally Posted by squidge View Post
    it perhaps wont change in my lifetime, im 50. But my daughter is 4. I hope she will grow up in a country that is fairer better and greener than we have now.
    well I am pleased for you. that you are happy to take such a massive gamble with your daughters future
    how about double or quits for her pension on what fly lands first
    http://www.heraldscotland.com/politi...-gaps.22236272
    Last edited by equusdriving; 26-Sep-13 at 01:11.

How about double or quits on the possibility there will be NO state pension for her when she reaches retirement age if we continue with the UK? Either way its a gamble Equus cos neither way offers guarantees .... I am prepared not only to take the chance and the opportunity that Independence offers but also to work strive and campaign to make the changes happen.... What are you prepared to do? What chances are you prepared to take? Oh thats right.... None... Just sit there cos better the devil you know eh? Thats fine but Thats not good enough for me Equus and its not good enough for my children either.

Quote Originally Posted by squidge View Post
    Thats fine but Thats not good enough for me Equus and its not good enough for my children either.
    unfortunately for you, its also good enough for the majority of the people of Scotland

Lol... We'll see.

You seem t have sidestepped the point I made earlier squidge, here it is again, Care to answer?

######################################

No one saying the BoE would go out of its way to hurt and independent Scotland, are you? The point is england is much bigger than us, with an economy 10x our size. At present thats irrelevant in all spheres, but upon independence it will do what england needs. Now do you recognise what would happen you our economy of the BoE pumped a hundred of 200 billion into the economy in the event of a recession in england, whilst we needed an interest rate cut? It would be greece, no amount of diversification would solve it. Its the exact same issue in the EU, with germany and france demanding monetary prudence, when in reality the greeks needed a huge plump of dosh printed and needed to have their currency devalue itself, maybe by 25% or more? Thats whats caused the huge issues the in the past few years.

We would be best with out own currency. Given that wont happen, and your already complaining about decision in London not taking into account Scotland when they do, surely that scenario should scare you? or is it a case of heart over head?
    There are basically 3 type of people in this world, those who can count and those who cant

Sorry Weezer I did type out a response - no idea why its not posted. So here you go.

I have said before that I believe Scotland would be better using its own currency and that is one of the issues which will influence who gets my vote in 2016. However, whilst that is the case, there are a couple of points I think are worth making.

Firstly comparing Scotland to Greece is as little use as comparing Scotland to Nigeria and not just cos of the weather. Scotland has economic strength across several sectors even without oil. Greece does not. That is probably the key difference. So negotiations with Westminster within a type of monetary union would be from this position and not from a weak, narrow economic position. In addition an independent Scotland would be important to the rest of the UK in terms of imports and exports of goods and services to and from the rest of the UK. It would not be in the interests of the rest of the uk for Scotland to crash and burn.

There seems to be this concern that westminster would make things as difficult as possible during the negotiations. I dont believe that will be the case. The eyes of the whole world will be on Great Britain and, as we are often told Britain is proud of its reputation. That does not mean that I think Scotland will get whatever it asks for but more that I believe that Westminster will be fair in its negotiations because to be anything other than fair would damage the reputation of Westminster and that will not be allowed to happen.

Finally back to the point I made at the start. I believe Scotland needs its own currency to grow and develop its economy. There are however benefits to using the pound inthe short term. The scottish government has said

"The Scottish Government is clear that post-independence it will always be up to the people of Scotland, and their elected government, to decide what our currency should be. However, the present Government has the responsibility of negotiating what the best starting point would be for an independent Scotland."

And so here is the crux of the matter. If the pound ceases to be the best option then in an Independent Scotland we can change it when the time is right for Scotland.

So am I scared? No. It will be challenging for sure but I have confidence that Scotland has strength and wealth without oil and that contrary to what has been said recently, we do have the intellect within our parliament and our civil service to manage the budget and carry out the negotiations in a way that is best for Scotland.
    Last edited by squidge; 27-Sep-13 at 08:17.

Nice little item from the Census - two-thirds of us living in Scottish see ourselves as Scottish (NOT British).

Might make next September a little bit more interesting .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-24282271

Quote Originally Posted by PantsMAN View Post
    Nice little item from the Census - two-thirds of us living in Scottish see ourselves as Scottish (NOT British). Might make next September a little bit more interesting .
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-24282271
    I consider myself Scottish, but I for one will not be voting yes, no time for the secessionists, Bring on the Union!!!!
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    I consider myself Scottish, but I for one will not be voting yes, no time for the secessionists, Bring on the Union!!!!
    I assume therefore that you are one of the minority who consider themselves Scottish and British?

I assume therefore that you are one of the minority who consider themselves Scottish and British?
    Where did I say that? Please do not try to speak for me. Bring on the Union!!!!
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

A good proportion of the people who will be voting, won't consider themselves Scottish or British. So ethnicity is not an issue..presumably.

Ducati is absolutely right to say ethnicity is not an issue. There is no suggestion that people who are voting for the union are somehow less Scottish. If that was the case then where would I fit. I dont consider myself Scottish at all. I am English, a northern lass from Lancashire and British too. I dont see any contradiction in Golach's statement that he is Scottish and supports the union just like there is no contradiction in being English and supporting Independence. Its about democracy not nationality.

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    Where did I say that? Please do not try to speak for me. Bring on the Union!!!!
    Woah, keep the heid!

I stated that I made an assumption - I never said I was speaking for you.

Just like I made an observation about a report concerning the census and suddenly folk are getting exercised over nationality.

Jings we're getting awfy touchy...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123