Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: hunting in the early hours of the moring

Quote Originally Posted by blackhawkonfie View Post
    I notice the same old folk turning a decent debate, discussion sour!
    You've been an active, contributing member of the forum for four days and you feel it's ok to start discussing the 'same old folk' turning your thread 'sour'?

Nice to have you here.

Its the countryside. Dont people expect to hear the odd gunshot?

Quote Originally Posted by ducati View Post
    I seriously doubt any psycho considers themself to be a psycho. You'd better ask you friends to make sure.
    What friend they all disappeared one night after a shot was over heard lolol
    sometimes the devil needs an advocate

Report it to the Police - you'll still never catch me!

Firearms related so I will have to weigh in.Ducati, since you are an ex rifleman I can understand you see firearms in the hands of another person are really scary but it is rather arrogant and frankly a little bemusing that you think only military personel who are taught to kill people with their firearms are safe to use them and that you assume every non serviceman who finds the need or pleasure in using a gun is scary and a psycho. Do you have a reason for this fear and ideas or is it just irrational?OP, report the shooter, they may or may not be legal, let the police find out. I am never put out when the police visit to check up on my recent shooting.

Also I am well aware that I am a psycho, what I think you mean though is a potential serial killer not a psycho. Psychopaths can function quite easily and safely in society as long as they are not at the extreme end of the scale and have self control.Ducati, during your military career, did you ever kill anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by newweecroft View Post
    Firearms related so I will have to weigh in.Ducati, since you are an ex rifleman I can understand you see firearms in the hands of another person are really scary but it is rather arrogant and frankly a little bemusing that you think only military personel who are taught to kill people with their firearms are safe to use them and that you assume every non serviceman who finds the need or pleasure in using a gun is scary and a psycho. Do you have a reason for this fear and ideas or is it just irrational?OP, report the shooter, they may or may not be legal, let the police find out. I am never put out when the police visit to check up on my recent shooting.
    Interesting memory you have. No, not irrational. I happen to know that the people that are responsible for approving and monitoring firearms licencing are incompetent, lazy and don't even seem to understand their responsibility.

One thing that would help is to increase the costs of a licence to actually reflect the cost of monitoring. This would allow it to be policed properly and deterr applications from people who don't really need one.

Interesting memory you have. No, not irrational. I happen to know that the people that are responsible for approving and monitoring firearms licencing are incompetent, lazy and don't even seem to understand their responsibility.

One thing that would help is to increase the costs of a licence to actually reflect the cost of monitoring. This would allow it to be policed properly and deterr applications from people who don't really need one.
    Like for instance the cost of policing vehicle misuse?
    They still kill many many more than fire arms in this country.

Quote Originally Posted by neilsermk1 View Post
    Like for instance the cost of policing vehicle misuse?
    They still kill many many more than fire arms in this country.
    Yeah, yeah, we've done that, do keep up.

Yeah, yeah, we've done that, do keep up.
    gotta agree with you Ducati , the discussion is verging on rediculious even petty now.

This suggests that the level of monitoring required exceeds the budget allowed for it. Perhaps due to police time being wasted on call outs by the mis-informed over zealous. Increasing the budget may be one solution, but reducing the level of "false alarms" may be another.

If I reported every car I saw to the police as a potential drunk driver, I would soon get a stern warning from them for wasting their time. Drink driving is a serious concern to the police, but if I expected them to investigate every single car I report to them, they would soon clamp down on me.

Statistically, only a very small minority of drivers at any one time are over the limit. Just the same as statistically, only a very small minority of shooters are behaving illegally. I might even hazard a guess that at any one point in time, there are more drivers over the limit on UK roads than there are illegal shooters on UK land. And even then, the "illegality" of the shooters may be trivial rather than dangerous - For example, shooting rabbits or pigeons on land without permission, rather than firing off AK-47's in the direction of nearby villages.

Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post
    This suggests that the level of monitoring required exceeds the budget allowed for it. Perhaps due to police time being wasted on call outs by the mis-informed over zealous. Increasing the budget may be one solution, but reducing the level of "false alarms" may be another.

If I reported every car I saw to the police as a potential drunk driver, I would soon get a stern warning from them for wasting their time. Drink driving is a serious concern to the police, but if I expected them to investigate every single car I report to them, they would soon clamp down on me.

Statistically, only a very small minority of drivers at any one time are over the limit. Just the same as statistically, only a very small minority of shooters are behaving illegally. I might even hazard a guess that at any one point in time, there are more drivers over the limit on UK roads than there are illegal shooters on UK land. And even then, the "illegality" of the shooters may be trivial rather than dangerous - For example, shooting rabbits or pigeons on land without permission, rather than firing off AK-47's in the direction of nearby villages.
    Why do you keep going on about cars?

Why do you keep going on about cars?
    Prime example of why civvies shouldn't be allowed weapons we have one who thinks a car and a weapon are the same thing !!! Personal view is the armed forces and some section of the police have legitimate uses for weapons! Some farmers may have a requirement for a shotgun or small bore rifle for vermin but those aside I see no reason for weapons in society. They are designed for one thing only KILLING !All other users want the, either as sport recreational usage ...I'd not want to be in the same town with someone who enjoys killings random animals for fun commonly known as a precursor for bigger prey. Or the others are those who just wish to kill and destroy because its the way they are wired. Shooting at night near occupied housing is reckless and irresponsible and whoever is doing it should be arrested brought to trial and locked up as a lesson for the others who think its ok.

Use cars, or whatever you fancy. I am not fussed. In any case, the comparison was to do with the dangers of drink driving, as opposed to cars. I could reverse RagnorRocks' point and suggest that he/she thinks that drinking and driving is nothing to get concerned about, and that polices efforts should concentrate on legal shooting, whilst everyone else careers home from the pub after 10 pints.

Cars aside then, I am still prepared to hazard a guess then that within any 24 hour period (as opposed to at any point in time as I used before), there are less people shooting illegally and dangerously in the UK than there are;
    • Operating plant on a construction site whilst still under the influence of alchohol after last nights session
    • Engaging in domestic violence
    • Putting their own health, and the safety of others at risk, through excessive alcohol consumption
    • Putting at risk the health of their children by smoking in the home, car, or any other place not covered by smoking legislation.
    • Putting the lives of emergency services at increased risk by wandering off onto mountains in a pair of shorts and flip flops.
    I could compare all day.

Ragnorrocks highlights some of the issues. He/She says he would not want to be in the same town as someone who kills small animals, and also that night shooting, even near inhabited housing is dangerous and reckless. This suggest he or she is probably a townie, with little understanding of life outside the 30 mph limits. I too would suspect that killing animals in the town with a gun is reckless, and in honestly, I cant say I have ever seen many rabbit infestations in shopping malls.

It would however suggest that townies should be banned from buying or possessing things like fly paper, fly spray, mouse traps, rat traps, midge eaters or any other device that allows them to engage in the act of "killing random small animals". They should also be banned from buying anything like bleach that kills any poor harmless organisms that live under the toilet rim. We country folk can seem to manage without killing them off, primarily because we have septic tanks, but also since we are not eating our dinner off the underside of the rim.

If you don't like country living, theres plenty of towns you could live in!

Thinking here that the plot has been lost, wandered to drunk driving , on the road s , on construction sites , domestic violence ,cant see what all that has to do with the original poster who was alarmed about shot s from a firearm close to his/her home ???, and going into statistics , i,ve no need to hazard a guess that there are millions more vehicle driver s than there are shooters. so placing one set against the other is meaningless .j.h.c. man even shooters drive cars.

so in Orcadians point of view ,that would make them double the risk .. huh??

According to a BBC news website, there are 141,569 shotguns and 72,005 firearms legally owned in Scotland. (source = http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...itics-22702176)

In Scotland in 2011, there were 13 deaths arising from guns. (source = http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/scotland) Takes a bit of drilling down to find it.

Death rate due to guns = (141,569 + 72005) / 13 = 1 death per year per 16,429 guns

Number of road vehicles in Scotland = 2.7 million (source = http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/St...dMotorVehicles )

Number of road fatalities in Scotland = 170 (source = http://www.transportscotland.gov.uk/...tatistics-2012 )

Death rate due to road accidents = 2.7 million / 170 = 1 death per year per 15,882 registered road vehicles.

So, there is a higher death rate on the roads than there is from guns. And thats the rate per gun/vehicle and taking into account the higher number of vehicles on the road than there are guns in the field.

The OP should therefore have been more concerned that he or she saw a car in the night near his / her house, as there is a higher risk that it would have run him or her over than of being shot by the gun. To the OP then. I hope you reported the car that almost killed you to the police, and that they have suitable spoken with the driver and chastised them in relation to driving round the country at night, putting lives at risk.

Laughing out loud here, thats exactly the response i was expecting.
    vehicles are a way of life without them the modern world could not function.
    gun s are a way of death , that,s the reason they were invented AND are used (to kill ) no other purpose. vehicle s help save lives. ambulances. police cars. firetrucks etc.

but your splitting hairs here to suit your own ends .
    i dont know the figures but i think vehicle.s outway guns IN NUMBERS. there are million s more vehicles than there are guns.
    so taking percentages on the no of gun s & the no of vehicles about i think you,d find guns kill more %of people than vehicles.
    so taking traffic fatality s into the equasion you have to take wars etc into same equasion , after all road wars ..
    world wars , invasions, murders , all have to be counted . BUT, THAT S NO HELP TO THE PERSON WHO HEARD THE GUNSHOTS NEAR HIS/HER HOME IN THE DARK OF NIGHT.

Quote Originally Posted by jacko View Post
    so taking percentages on the no of gun s & the no of vehicles about i think you,d find guns kill more %of people than vehicles.
    So you genuinely didn't read my posting then? Or else you are not arithmetically able to convert a "one in XXXX" number into a percentage.

Go back and read my posting again. Then have a google for basic numeracy classes in your area. You may find them helpful!

I suspect there will never be any agreement in this thread, and from some, it appears that there will always be unfair portrayal of the tools of the trade that those involved in the country require. Its the classic townie vs farmer debate, where the townie forms the opinion that beef and lamb comes from Tesco in little polystyrene trays and not an actually from an animal that wanders around in a field eating grass.

It may come as a shock to townies when they decide to move from their 2 up 2 down in the city out to the "idyllic rural retreat", that its not all just country golf courses and little pubs up little lanes. The animals that provide the meat that goes into those Tesco trays live here too, and we drive fairly big and slow tractors and implements from one field to the next to make sure that these animals can be provided for.

Anyway, concensus will never be reached I don't think. If country life troubles you, there are probably fewer guns per head of population in your nearest big city, where I am sure there are plenty nice little apartments that may be suitable. And there are probably more adult numeracy classes nearby too!
    Last edited by orkneycadian; 30-Sep-13 at 15:39.

Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post
    According to a BBC news website, there are 141,569 shotguns and 72,005 firearms legally owned in Scotland. (source = http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...itics-22702176)

In Scotland in 2011, there were 13 deaths arising from guns. (source = http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/scotland) Takes a bit of drilling down to find it.

Death rate due to guns = (141,569 + 72005) / 13 = 1 death per year per 16,429 guns

Number of road vehicles in Scotland = 2.7 million (source = http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/St...dMotorVehicles )

Number of road fatalities in Scotland = 170 (source = http://www.transportscotland.gov.uk/...tatistics-2012 )

Death rate due to road accidents = 2.7 million / 170 = 1 death per year per 15,882 registered road vehicles.

So, there is a higher death rate on the roads than there is from guns. And thats the rate per gun/vehicle and taking into account the higher number of vehicles on the road than there are guns in the field.

The OP should therefore have been more concerned that he or she saw a car in the night near his / her house, as there is a higher risk that it would have run him or her over than of being shot by the gun. To the OP then. I hope you reported the car that almost killed you to the police, and that they have suitable spoken with the driver and chastised them in relation to driving round the country at night, putting lives at risk.
    I am willing to bet that there is also a higher death rate in hospitals and care homes than any of the above.
    Does that make them a dangerous place to be?
    W.A.T.P.

Yes, especially if you go there by car or other road vehicle!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast