Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: hunting in the early hours of the moring

Quote Originally Posted by jacko View Post
    Depends on the firearm. a 12 bore , short range. .22 a different story, and he could miss. a sporting rifle now that a different kettle of fish. even if he kills the game the bullit could still go right though and travel some distance. I used to do a lot of shooting untill i got sickened of it ,and i would never ever shoot in the dark night sight or no night sight AND NEVER WHERE THE AREA IS POPULATED .
    I assume if you gave it up because you were sick of it, then you're livelihood didn't depend on it, and you were just doing it for fun? Of are you one of the "incompassionate farmers" mentioned on another thread on here recently, who doesn't really care if vermin eat all the food meant for your livestock, causing them to go hungry instead?

There are a lot of misconceptions about shooting, especially when folk think that because they can hear gunshot, or heaven forbid, actually see someone with a gun, then their life is in danger, even if someones is 500 yards away and shooting in the other direction. To put it into perspective. A golf ball being driven off the tee has about 4 times the energy of a pellet fired from a legal (no firearm certificate required) airgun, and about half of that of a .22 rifle. Yet, folk go round batting golf balls in all directions, even near populated places, and even other golfers! And without Googling it, I am are sure there are deaths which have been attributed to being struck by a golf ball. So, would you be similarly concerned, if you saw someone driving golf balls, away from you, or in a direction that was not aimed towards you? Would you phone the police and get them to check it out?
    Last edited by orkneycadian; 21-Sep-13 at 13:03. Reason: Bl**dy typos!

Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post
    I assume if you gave it up because you were sick of it, then you're livelihood didn't depend on it, and you were just doing it for fun? Of are you one of the "incompassionate farmers" mentioned on another thread on hear recently, who doesn't really care if vermin eat all the food meant for your livestock, causing them to go hungry instead?

There are a lot of misconceptions about shooting, especially when folk think that because they can hear gunshot, or heaven forbid, actually see someone with a gun, then their life is in danger, even if someones is 500 yards away and shooting in the other direction. To put it into perspective. A golf ball being driven off the tee has about 4 times the energy of a pellet fired from a legal (no firearm certificate required) airgun, and about half of that of a .22 rifle. Yet, folk go round batting golf balls in all directions, even near populated places, and even other golfers! And without Googling it, I am are sure there are deaths which have bee attributed to being struck by a golf ball. So, would you be similarly concerned, if you saw someone driving golf balls, away from you, or in a direction that was not aimed towards you? Would you phone the police and get them to check it out?
    Guns in the hands of anyone I don't know and some I do make me nervous. You only have to google to find a number of even recent examples of people with licences going nuts and killing people. Anyone seen with a gun should be viewed with great trepidation and suspicion in my opinion.

I trust you take the same view of cars and other motor vehicles being driven by people you don't know, and some you do Ducati? Especially as they are responsible for many more deaths?

Should we start reporting seeing cars being driven near our houses by people we do not know or trust, to the police?

I trust you take the same view of cars and other motor vehicles being driven by people you don't know, and some you do Ducati? Especially as they are responsible for many more deaths?

Should we start reporting seeing cars being driven near our houses by people we do not know or trust, to the police?
    No, just guns.

And the reason for the difference being?

And the reason for the difference being?
    Er.. cars don't make me nervous. If you don't think there is a difference it just confirms my suspicion that shooters are (potential) psychos.

Hmmm, I wonder who the public should be more concerned about....

The farmer using a simple tool to control vermin?

Or the guy with the unfounded paranoia that folk are out to get him?

Quote Originally Posted by ducati View Post
    Er.. cars don't make me nervous. If you don't think there is a difference it just confirms my suspicion that shooters are (potential) psychos.
    i have a gun and i don't consider myself a psycho just someone who enjoys a bit of sport
    sometimes the devil needs an advocate

Quote Originally Posted by billmoseley View Post
    i have a gun and i don't consider myself a psycho just someone who enjoys a bit of sport
    I seriously doubt any psycho considers themself to be a psycho. You'd better ask you friends to make sure.

AND NEVER WHERE THE AREA IS POPULATED .
    Says Jacko who wants to shoot all the scorries on his own roof in a populated area

Quote Originally Posted by Big Gaz View Post
    Says Jacko who wants to shoot all the scorries on his own roof in a populated area

i sure would like to , but i guess you cant kill em all . be easier to shoot the old crone that s feeding em .
    (that was a joke)
    b.t.w. orkneycadian. no, im not a farmer.

anyway seagull s are vermin, flying scavenging rats that serve no earthly purpose.
    last thing i shot was a beautifull mallard and i thought jesus h christ i,d rather see it flying in the air.

ps. on the roof . it d be a pellet gun ,not a firearm ... BIG DIFFERENCE, as you well know.
    Last edited by jacko; 20-Sep-13 at 23:33.

yeah Jacko, wasn't meant to be a severe dig mate, just a wee laugh

Police Scotland Hare Coursing Clamp Down: http://www.scotland.police.uk/whats-...tember/187591/

No offence taken gaz

b.t.w. orkneycadian. no, im not a farmer.
    Fair do's. Ref the example of golf balls above - Would you still be concerned if you saw someone driving a golf ball near a populated place? Over here, on or around the longest day, they play "midnight golf". I think its more an excuse to take a wander out on a bonny night with your mates and a golf bag containing 1 club, with the rest of the space taken up by refreshments. Anyway, when they are doing that, they are firing off missiles with 4 times the energy of an airgun pellet, in the near dark, near fellow golfers and beside houses, whilst under the influence of alcohol. Would that be of more or less concerning than someone doing some lamping for rabbits?

Quote Originally Posted by blackhawkonfie View Post
    Police Scotland Hare Coursing Clamp Down: http://www.scotland.police.uk/whats-...tember/187591/
    I would be somewhat surprised if the .22 wielding person you heard and saw the other night would have been doing any hare coursing....

I would be somewhat surprised if the .22 wielding person you heard and saw the other night would have been doing any hare coursing....
    Lol! Indeed.

Now secessionist coursing would be a fine sport, and you could at a pinch do it at night.

Hares are still around if you spend enough time in the countryside!

Default Debate turning sour

I notice the same old folk turning a decent debate, discussion sour!

As is often perceived to be the case on here, a debate doesn't turn sour just because others have a differing point of view. In many instances, threads are started off with folk hoping to get a wave of support for their view, concern, issue, whatever. Then they find that there are differing views out there that don't match their own. But, thats what debate is about. You don't see an invitation to a debating society meeting saying that Team 1 will will debate For the motion whilst Team 2 will also debate For the same motion.

As part of the ongoing debate, we have learned that BillMosely does a bit of shooting but doesn't consider himself a psycho. That helps counter some of the debate that puts forward the point that those that do do a bit of shooting are phsycos. We (I) have also put forward a comparison and asked for views on it, in relation to damage that could be done by a golf ball vs that of an airgun pellet.

Digressing happens in any conversation - Just listen to any conversation and it will meander from one thing to another, even if still loosely connected to the starting subject, whether that be football, politics or how attractive the barmaid is! Sometimes digression is relevant, other times its not. The police clamping down on hare coursing is a totally separate matter from someone being out shooting in the hours of darkness on their own land, or land they have permission to shoot on. The hare coursing is illegal, whilst the shooting is unlikely to be.

If you are hoping for everyone to sympathise with the concerns you obviously had last week, then it looks like, with many other subjects, you will get some sympathy, mixed in with some "counter sympathy", maybe even some criticism. But thats the nature of public debate I guess....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast