Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: hunting in the early hours of the moring

i used to be shooter my own self and dont have an issue with guns .but how can you POSSIBLY compare a gun to a car.
    Up here, to me ,my car is a must have to get about . my guns wer.nt . I had a shotgun license & an open firearm certificate for a proper hunting rifle , large calibre. but now i would rather shoot those beautifull birds & animals with a camera.
    that s now my choice, As far as the food chain is concerned i go to the butcher or tesco or where ever suit s me.
    If anyone wants to shoot they should have the proper certificates & the permission of the land owner and they should show consideration for the welfare & well being of the folk s around them .
    i did read your post Orcadian and im not convinced one iota. Im sure YOU are a safe shooter but like everything else in this world MISTAKES happen ...I honestly believe that there aught to be stricter control on the issue of firearm licensing. After all one has to pass a driving test to drive a dangerous weapon such as a car .So why not to a gun???

people poaching in the dead of night are the careless kind that care less who or what they disturb and scare.

Any way im through with this topic and i shall not comment on it again.

Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post
    Use cars, or whatever you fancy. I am not fussed. In any case, the comparison was to do with the dangers of drink driving, as opposed to cars. I could reverse RagnorRocks' point and suggest that he/she thinks that drinking and driving is nothing to get concerned about, and that polices efforts should concentrate on legal shooting, whilst everyone else careers home from the pub after 10 pints.Cars aside then, I am still prepared to hazard a guess then that within any 24 hour period (as opposed to at any point in time as I used before), there are less people shooting illegally and dangerously in the UK than there are;
    • Operating plant on a construction site whilst still under the influence of alchohol after last nights session
    • Engaging in domestic violence
    • Putting their own health, and the safety of others at risk, through excessive alcohol consumption
    • Putting at risk the health of their children by smoking in the home, car, or any other place not covered by smoking legislation.
    • Putting the lives of emergency services at increased risk by wandering off onto mountains in a pair of shorts and flip flops.
    I could compare all day.Ragnorrocks highlights some of the issues. He/She says he would not want to be in the same town as someone who kills small animals, and also that night shooting, even near inhabited housing is dangerous and reckless. This suggest he or she is probably a townie, with little understanding of life outside the 30 mph limits. I too would suspect that killing animals in the town with a gun is reckless, and in honestly, I cant say I have ever seen many rabbit infestations in shopping malls.It would however suggest that townies should be banned from buying or possessing things like fly paper, fly spray, mouse traps, rat traps, midge eaters or any other device that allows them to engage in the act of "killing random small animals". They should also be banned from buying anything like bleach that kills any poor harmless organisms that live under the toilet rim. We country folk can seem to manage without killing them off, primarily because we have septic tanks, but also since we are not eating our dinner off the underside of the rim.If you don't like country living, theres plenty of towns you could live in!
    I am a he for starters also an ex member of the armed forces and quite used to handling weapons of many sizes and calibres also I mentioned in my post there are legitimate reasons for farmers to hold some small bore weapons and shotguns for vermin control but I doubt most of the weapons in ownership are used for vermin/pest control, from my experience they are owned by hooray henrys and clods with no training who just like to shoot things.Trying to mix the issue up with drunk drivers etc is frankly ridiculous there are laws to deal with them and if you want to find a drunk driver I doubt you'll find one skulking in the bushes late at night. Infact if you can't distinguish that there is a fundamental difference between guns and cars and the relevant safety laws surrounding them, that would lead me consider you definitely not the sort to handle weapons without strict supervision. As for name calling ( townie )well that just shows the maturity level and mentality of those who argue weapons are safe in their hands (cough ) I would struggle to name a car crash act of domestic violence,smoking or wandering in the mountains that has shocked the nation to its core but can mention numerous weapons massacres that we can all reel off !

Going back to the original concern. If a supersonic rifle round spanged off a tree branch, for instance, at night or any other time for that matter, it doesn't matter which direction you were shooting, Prof Brian Cox himself couldn't tell you where it would end up, poss. a mile or more away.

i remember when i was young wee were shooting rats with a 410 i was only about 12, the burn ran through the village so it was close to the houses, anyway wee were not having much luck hitting them so wee went up the road got the 12 bore out lol, the dam thing used to knock us on ower ass, got a few then, the only thing was wee were a bit close to the local police mans house he came out and told us to get the hell up the fields and use it, the only complaints wee got was not coming back with anything, wee used to sell the things wee got to the local butcher to pay for the cartridges, wee used to walk through the village gun in hand used to get stopped by folk getting there orders in
    try that now you would get like 20 police cars round you with armed response how times have change, i am only 43 so it wasn't that long ago folk didn't mind you doing a bit shooting

Quote Originally Posted by kosacid View Post
    i remember when i was young wee were shooting rats with a 410 i was only about 12, the burn ran through the village so it was close to the houses, anyway wee were not having much luck hitting them so wee went up the road got the 12 bore out lol, the dam thing used to knock us on ower ass, got a few then, the only thing was wee were a bit close to the local police mans house he came out and told us to get the hell up the fields and use it, the only complaints wee got was not coming back with anything, wee used to sell the things wee got to the local butcher to pay for the cartridges, wee used to walk through the village gun in hand used to get stopped by folk getting there orders in
    try that now you would get like 20 police cars round you with armed response how times have change, i am only 43 so it wasn't that long ago folk didn't mind you doing a bit shooting
    Yes, life was cheap in olden times!

Quote Originally Posted by kosacid View Post
    Which butcher was buying rats?

not rats lol that was for fun rabbits and stuff mind you if wee could sell them wee would have rofl

Quote Originally Posted by ducati View Post
    Going back to the original concern. If a supersonic rifle round spanged off a tree branch, for instance, at night or any other time for that matter, it doesn't matter which direction you were shooting, Prof Brian Cox himself couldn't tell you where it would end up, poss. a mile or more away.
    Prof Cox would probably be the ideal man to put this in perspective. We have already, without his help, learned that we are at greater risk of being run over by a car. Prof Cox would be the ideal man to slot the risk into a table of other things that might just kill us - Like falling meteorites, unfriendly green beings landing their spacecraft on the Causeymire and inflicting their death ray or of the sun exploding in a supernova and swallowing us all up.

So whats next on your hit list Ducati? Banning tractors in case there are any more agricultural accidents? A compulsory cull on all bulls in case a townie out walking their dog gets trampled? Fertility treatment for all rabbits and rats?

Prof Cox would probably be the ideal man to put this in perspective. We have already, without his help, learned that we are at greater risk of being run over by a car. Prof Cox would be the ideal man to slot the risk into a table of other things that might just kill us - Like falling meteorites, unfriendly green beings landing their spacecraft on the Causeymire and inflicting their death ray or of the sun exploding in a supernova and swallowing us all up.

So whats next on your hit list Ducati? Banning tractors in case there are any more agricultural accidents? A compulsory cull on all bulls in case a townie out walking their dog gets trampled? Fertility treatment for all rabbits and rats?
    I don't have a list. You are the nutter with the list. Each of your posts are not making me feel safer and safer if that is the intention?

I suspect that I will never have the ability to make a paranoid reverse their thoughts and fears that folk are out to get them - I'll leave that for the professionals to do.

In the meantime, I'll continue to focus on what farmers and landowners do, and use the land to grow food for the population (paranoid or otherwise), and use every available legal means to control the pests and vermin that do their best to eat or otherwise spoil the populations food. In some cases, this involves shooting them, including rabbits. As the most effective time to shoot rabbits is after dark, then that safe and legal practice will continue on lands round these parts at the very least.

If there are any paranoids around that are concerned that farmers, landowners and folk they give shooting permissions to are out to get them, then they are completely at liberty to share their thoughts, concerns and fears with any quack of their choice.

I suspect that I will never have the ability to make a paranoid reverse their thoughts and fears that folk are out to get them - I'll leave that for the professionals to do.

In the meantime, I'll continue to focus on what farmers and landowners do, and use the land to grow food for the population (paranoid or otherwise), and use every available legal means to control the pests and vermin that do their best to eat or otherwise spoil the populations food. In some cases, this involves shooting them, including rabbits. As the most effective time to shoot rabbits is after dark, then that safe and legal practice will continue on lands round these parts at the very least.

If there are any paranoids around that are concerned that farmers, landowners and folk they give shooting permissions to are out to get them, then they are completely at liberty to share their thoughts, concerns and fears with any quack of their choice.
    But don't stand too near the quack at night in case you get your head blown off.

Just keep taking the tablets Ducati. The voices might go away eventually.

Just keep taking the tablets Ducati. The voices might go away eventually.
    If you really believe that it is unreasonable to be concerned that random people with guns are driving about and shooting near your house at night (and are not just trolling) then there is genuinely something wrong with you. You certainly should not be allowed a licence for a firearm or shotgun, or anything sharper than a banana as far as I'm concerned, and I only hope you are caught soon.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234