Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: hunting in the early hours of the moring

Default hunting in the early hours of the moring

On Monday night I couldn't get to sleep so I was awake around 2:00am to 3:30 am Tuesday morning, about 2:45am there was a discharge of a 22 rifle quite near to my house so like you do I had a nosy around and noticed a vehicle moving down the lane with no lights on, I'm just wondering if anybody else in Caithness have had similar encounters with individuals hunting in the early hours of the morning? If I have an encounter of this sort near my property again I will contact the police, I remember there was an incident near Shebster several months ago, persons were convicted!

Why wait to see if there will be another time. It is never too late so report the incident to the Police Now.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

There are often vehicles on the go at night and i wonder what they are up to! I have just posted on the farming forum as we have 15 lambs that have gone missing from a field beside the road. I strongly suggest if you hear or see anything like that report it to the police as it may not be wildlife they are taking.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
    There are often vehicles on the go at night and i wonder what they are up to! I have just posted on the farming forum as we have 15 lambs that have gone missing from a field beside the road. I strongly suggest if you hear or see anything like that report it to the police as it may not be wildlife they are taking.
    Awwww Foxy not good, all that work you have put in, raising them, sorry I cannot help
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Hey, you should have reported it straight away. Even though the guys were away, this info may proove useful in establishing patterns etc that may help.

Which general area were you in?

Tilly Teckel Guest

My two-pence-worth... please don't jump to the conclusion that people out hunting at night are 'up to no good'. They may well have permission from the landowner, have the relevant licences, and be providing a valuable service to the farmer(s). Some aren't admittedly, but most are. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Tilly Teckel View Post
    My two-pence-worth... please don't jump to the conclusion that people out hunting at night are 'up to no good'. They may well have permission from the landowner, have the relevant licences, and be providing a valuable service to the farmer(s). Some aren't admittedly, but most are. Thanks!
    Well they were commiting a motoring offence driving with no lights. Org justice demands that they be summarily executed.

Quote Originally Posted by ducati View Post
    Well they were commiting a motoring offence driving with no lights. Org justice demands that they be summarily executed.
    Only if on the public road
    W.A.T.P.

I am sure the police will only be interested if this happened on your property, without your permission, or if stray fire was entering your property, or if there was imminent threat of harm to any 3rd parties. Hunting at night is not an offence, and a normal country activity, essential to keep many types of vermin in check.

Default Gun shots!

I have often heard shots here and seen the continual flash of 'lamping' during the night. When we came to live in this house 36 years ago there were Hares and quite a lot of Roe deer etc. I haven't seen a Hare in years...I daresay they have been hunted to extinction in this area. It is such a shame...we even had names for one pair of Hares...Harold and Harriet...not anymore though.

If you own all the land around you, on which these hares are "being hunted to extinction" on, then you can take action, and report any unauthorised shooting on your land. Anyone shooting on your land without your permission, will be seriously up for the high jump. If however, the land is owned by others, and they have given permission for shooting on it, then that is their prerogative, especially if it is farmed land and vermin is causing damage.

In Scotland, hares are subject to an open shooting season, meaning that those who determine what species can be taken (SNH I think), feel that there are sufficient numbers of them to require controlling.

Roe deer also has an open season, so again acknowledged as requiring controlling. I am sure if there was the slightest concern over dwindling numbers, then SNH would have the open season pulled in a trice, and they would become a protected species.

If someone is lamping for Roe Deer, then that would get them in trouble, as night game shooting (1 hour after sunset to 1 hour before sunrise) is not allowed. Lamping for rabbits and hares is however permitted.

The following link may be helpful if there is any doubt as to what is legal and what is not;

http://www.basc.org.uk/en/department...ng-seasons.cfm

Default night shooters

just wondering how you knew it was a .22 round that they fired when you only heard a bang, and the main reason for the drop in hare numbers is the speed of modern farm machinery and changes to farm practices

Quote Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
    just wondering how you knew it was a .22 round that they fired when you only heard a bang, and the main reason for the drop in hare numbers is the speed of modern farm machinery and changes to farm practices
    I know the difference between a shot gun, high calibre hunting rifle, .22 rifle and various other firearms discharge sounds "Super Mac from Canisbay"

Quote Originally Posted by blackhawkonfie View Post
    On Monday night I couldn't get to sleep so I was awake around 2:00am to 3:30 am Tuesday morning, about 2:45am there was a discharge of a 22 rifle quite near to my house so like you do I had a nosy around and noticed a vehicle moving down the lane with no lights on, I'm just wondering if anybody else in Caithness have had similar encounters with individuals hunting in the early hours of the morning? If I have an encounter of this sort near my property again I will contact the police, I remember there was an incident near Shebster several months ago, persons were convicted!
    What would you guess they were shooting at?

[QUOTE=secrets in symmetry;1047805]What would you guess they were shooting at?[/QUO

Eejits who can only survive as a subservient group within the (dis)United Kingdom

Only an idiot would discharge a firearm in the dark. How do they know whats in the background...(and near dwellings ) i would report it immediately.

Are they still idiots if they were using a night vision scope?

Do you really think folk would go out and shoot in the dark when they cant see what they are aiming at?Aside from anything else, it would be an awful waste of ammo.

I would report it to police.

If they are legit and using night sight and have permission then no harm done.

If however, they are up to no good then hopefully the police can do something about it.
    Last edited by changilass; 19-Sep-13 at 16:39. Reason: missed out a 'y'
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post
    Are they still idiots if they were using a night vision scope?

Do you really think folk would go out and shoot in the dark when they cant see what they are aiming at?Aside from anything else, it would be an awful waste of ammo.

Depends on the firearm. a 12 bore , short range. .22 a different story, and he could miss. a sporting rifle now that a different kettle of fish. even if he kills the game the bullit could still go right though and travel some distance. I used to do a lot of shooting untill i got sickened of it ,and i would never ever shoot in the dark night sight or no night sight AND NEVER WHERE THE AREA IS POPULATED .

Quote Originally Posted by changilass View Post
    I would report it to police.

If they are legit and using night sight and have permission then no harm done.

If however, they are up to no good then hopefully the police can do something about it.
    Would you apply this to instances where you have to interact with your fellow human beings, and assume "no harm done" if;
    • You report to the police, every car that you see driven on the public road as possibly being driven by a drunk driver. The police can always stop them and breathalyse them, and when they pass - "No harm done"
    • You call the police everytime you see someone enter a bank and report them as a potential robber. The police can always bundle them to the floor and strip search them looking for weapons. If none are found, then "no harm done"
    • You report any males you see wearing long coats to the police as potential "flashers". The police can always arrest them and check out what they have under their coats. If they are fully clothed, then "no harm done"
    I could go on with silly examples, which seem to be getting sillier as I add to them....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast