Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Wind breaks

Default Wind breaks

Our back garden is relatively exposed to the Caithness wind.

Other than building a 6 foot wall does any Orgers have recommendations for what they use to provide shelter for their garden?

How about willow?

I have ordered some cuttings from Ebay as just need a small amount for a windbreak at the side of a shed. Not sure whether you can get this locally?
    They grow 1.5 - 2 metres in a year so quite fast growing.
    "Until one has loved an animal part of their soul remains unawakened"

anyone want willow cuttings just pm me. You need to cut them yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by gerry4 View Post
    anyone want willow cuttings just pm me. You need to cut them yourself.
    Och I wish I had asked on here before buying them now.
    "Until one has loved an animal part of their soul remains unawakened"

Willow is very useful as a first line of defence, but you need to be ruthless and cut it back hard every year, so it produces a thicket of stems rather than a tall single job. The Salix alba hybrids are best, not Salix caprea (Goat Willow) which are slower and shorter.

My first choice for a windbreak is Elder (Sambucus nigra). Absolutely tough as old wellies, and fast to establish. Like willow, best cut it back to produce more stems.

And also like willow it grows easily from hardwood cuttings. At this time of year (as I write), take elder cuttings now, and next growing season you will have well rooted plants.

Other windbreak options worth trying are Whitebeam (Sorbus aria), and Common alder (Alnus glutinosa). Both can be chopped back to give you the thicket you need.
    There are neither rights nor wrongs in gardening. Only experiences.