Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Stop worrying . . . Cheer up . . . The World is going to be OK !

Default Stop worrying . . . Cheer up . . . The World is going to be OK !

Here is me, "retired and all" and catching up on some things that I missed earlier in life, such as a little philosophy, etc. I have an added source of hope, of optimism.

Last night, my granddaughter, who just turned 8 and is starting grade 3, said to me at her bedtime, "grandad, what is it like to be you?"

We've had Parmenides, Aristotle, Prof. Judith Grabiner, and now we have Christiana.

P.S.: J. V. Grabiner is still "with us"
    Last edited by David Banks; 16-Sep-13 at 18:41. Reason: Added P.S.

A child thrives on curiosity, one of the most uplifting and enlightening of attributes. For some reason - maybe because we are always confusing "child-like" and "childish", we spend years of effort suppressing that curiosity, in an attempt to impose uniformity and conventionality at every turn.

Luckily, there have been many escapees - Einstein, Renoir, Picasso, Frank Sinatra, Beethoven, the Beatles, Leonardo da Vinci, are some examples from the famous end of things - meanwhile there are many of us ordinary folk who continue to embrace the child-like qualities which make life such a wonderful place to be......

Quote Originally Posted by David Banks View Post
    Here is me, "retired and all" and catching up on some things that I missed earlier in life, such as a little philosophy, etc. I have an added source of hope, of optimism.

Last night, my granddaughter, who just turned 8 and is starting grade 3, said to me at her bedtime, "grandad, what is it like to be you?"

We've had Parmenides, Aristotle, Prof. Judith Grabiner, and now we have Christiana.

Blimey! I hope you didn't tell her?

Tilly Teckel Guest

Children's curiosity is a truly wonderful thing. I remember when my son was about 4, he asked me "Mum, where do the people come from?". I started in with "Well, when a mummy and daddy love each other very much...", when he interrupted me; "No, I mean, before there were any people, where did people come from?". This led to a discussion about religious beliefs versus theories of evolution, and ended with my little boy saying he needed to have a good long think about all this.

He's now 16 and a very independent thinker, intelligent and articulate, and my proudest achievement. Encourage childish curiosity!

Quote Originally Posted by ducati View Post
    Blimey! I hope you didn't tell her?

I left out the worst deviant parts about maniacal mass murder, and a penchant for alliteration!