Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Backthorn bushes??

Default Backthorn bushes??

Hi, does anybody know where there are any blackthorn bushes around the Thurso area? I was gonna have a look around Dunnet forest but it's a big place so it could take a while. I'm thinking of making some sloe gin for Christmas presents and i'd rather pick my own than buy them. Thanks, Jimmy

Hi there - If you fancy growing your own, Torrisdale Tunnel, Skerray - (me) will be selling 40-60cm blackthorn hedging next spring @ approx £2 each 07895073707 or facebook Torrisdale Tunnel

You're too far north, Jimmy. Blackthorn or Sloe (Prunus spinosa) will not fruit this far north. Unless you try growing them in a polytunnel!. I used to live in Aberdeenshire, and they didn't fruit there either. Perthshire is about the limit for fruiting sloes. No disrespect to the previous poster, because blackthorn does grow well here and makes an excellent hedge. It is both salt and wind tolerant, and with its ferocious thorns makes a great natural boundary. But it won't produce fruit this far north.
    There are neither rights nor wrongs in gardening. Only experiences.