Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Borage

Default Borage

I grew this for the first time this year and it's been great at attracting bees which is great as this is the reason for planting it.

However, they aren't upright and I keep having to prop them up with canes and, even then, a lot of of them are 'bent'.

I wonder when,and how, I should prune them and hope they might grow back in stronger next year?

Any advice would be much appreciated.
    "Until one has loved an animal part of their soul remains unawakened"

Hi Liz, Boraqe is an annual herb and the plant will not go through from one year to the next. Best thing to do is leave it to set seed and it will self seed itself around your garden. I always leave the plants in the ground till all the seed on the plant has blown away and then pull the plant up from the ground. I always leave mine until at least October but this depends on the weather and the plant. As you say the bees absolutely love this so it is a good plant to have in your garden.

Thanks ever so much for the advice SeaEagle.

I have never had so many bees in my garden as I've had this year with the borage! They are also loving the cosmos and lupins. Lots of other bee and butterfly friendly plants in the garden but these are their favourites.

As I said thought the problem has been with them bending over and breaking. Do you have this problem with yours?

Hi Liz, Borage has hollow stems and when the plant gets big it can be top heavy so it can bend and even break in the wind. I tend to just let it do what it needs rather than constrain it. But you could use bamboo canes and string in a cats cradle like configuration so the plants can grow through it. Here is a link about the plant which you might find useful. http://thebestgardening.com/borage-borago-officinalis/

My apologies for not replying sooner! I have propped some of them up with canes. Thanks for the link.

Borage was in the news recently on the BBC website http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...lands-24333662 We grow the perennial borage for making compost and liquid fertiliser however I also leave it to flower so that bees are attracted to the garden.

Quote Originally Posted by richardj View Post
    Borage was in the news recently on the BBC website http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...lands-24333662 We grow the perennial borage for making compost and liquid fertiliser however I also leave it to flower so that bees are attracted to the garden.
    Thanks for the link. I never knew there was a perennial borage.

I am so glad I planted it as have never had so many bees in the garden. All the flowers and shrubs in the garden are for bees and butterflies but their favourites seem to be the borage, cosmos, lupins and sedum.
    Have got winter flowers as well as spring bulbs planted to help the wildlife through the winter months.