Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Caithness Horizons

Default Caithness Horizons

What’s happening with Caithness Horizons? Is there a rescue operation, or is it staying closed permanently?

It was reported they are in talks with Highland Highlife the arms length body of Highland council. There may be an announcement in the near future if they can come to an arrangement.

Thanks Bill. Should we be optimistic?

Definitely optimistic. The council and NDA invested a lot to make the facility top class. It would make no sense to allow it to stay closed. A new management plan could come up with a new way of operating that reduces running costs and perhaps although not easy finds a way to increase income to balance the books in future. The transition of many facilities from the council to Highlife Highland has been very successful. They have managed to significantly reduced costs and made substantial savings fro the council. Of course public facilities like swimming pools libraries etc are unlikely to be commercially able to make enough to stand alone without subsidies but Highlife has already show it can be done with less. I am there for hopeful that a way can be found that will allow Horizons to be re-opened. I do not have any direct knowledge of the talks other than what has already been announced.

That’s good to hear. I’ll be optimistic then.

There was talk of reducing costs with volunteers. Could that be part of the plan? I have mixed feelings about that, but if it’s the only way then so be it.

Caithness Horizons was a top class museum. Hopefully, it will come back stronger.