Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Nor Scot

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    But Rheg, Norway is the shining example set by many Nats on here, why are they not divulging imformation such as this?
    You fail to note however that the average annual wage in Norway is around 308,500NOK (£41,105) as opposed to the UK average of £26,500.
    But its not just fuel that is more expensive over there.
    W.A.T.P.

Quote Originally Posted by piratelassie View Post
    Beyond a shadow of a doubt. Scotland has many natural resorces and a small talented population.
    How big is the untalented poulation?

Quote Originally Posted by sids View Post
    How big is the untalented poulation?
    Approx 5'10" tall, 5'10" wide
    W.A.T.P.

I think I've realised the cunning plan. With no one wanting nuclear power stations or oil or gas fired ones on their door steps now we've got no one wanting windmills or fracking. Also bearing in mind the inevitable running out of oil that leaves one readily available source of fuel PEAT ! Yes the whole of the uk will be dependant on peat to heat homes once every other source is unavailable and Scotland will become a world superpower :0))

Oh the Nationalists are going to nationlise the oilfields? That is a surprise. Sorry squidge I cannot see that as an option, more likely one of your pipedreams.
    Lol golach you never fail to jump in and stick words into my mouth for me.

Nationalise? did I say that? Nope.

However lets expand on that issue a bit - i said "belong" in inverted commas because they will belong to the people of Scotland in a similar way as Scotland will "belong" to the people of Scotland. That means that it will be up to us through our democratically elected government to manage these oilfields and the revenue from them as we see fit.

That could be a variety of ways - as they are now or something different. But it will be up to us. We can flog them off completely - to the rest of the UK if they want them or to Russia. We can grant licences to work them or we can close them down completely. It will be up to us - the voters to vote for the party which meets what we think is right - and that is the sense in which they will "belong" to the people of Scotland.

Is that better? Is there another word you want to assume that I mean other than which I have said?

Quote Originally Posted by squidge View Post

However lets expand on that issue a bit - i said "belong" in inverted commas because they will belong to the people of Scotland in a similar way as Scotland will "belong" to the people of Scotland. That means that it will be up to us through our democratically elected government to manage these oilfields and the revenue from them as we see fit.

That could be a variety of ways - as they are now or something different. But it will be up to us. We can flog them off completely - to the rest of the UK if they want them or to Russia. We can grant licences to work them or we can close them down completely. It will be up to us - the voters to vote for the party which meets what we think is right - and that is the sense in which they will "belong" to the people of Scotland.

Is that better? Is there another word you want to assume that I mean other than which I have said?
    and please enlighten us to your plans, after Shetland and Orkney have voted for Independence from Independent Scotland and took "their oil with them"

Not my plans equus but if orkney and shetland call for a referendum and achieve independence then the same rules will apply. After all, as i have already said, there are already protocols in place for deciding these things. If the oil fields fall in waters which belong to an Independent orkney and Shetland then that is the way it is. I am sure that as you are so against seperation that you will campaign strongly for them not to be independent.

Squidge your own phrase "As many of the oil fields are in what would be, indeed what are already identified as Scottish waters then those oil fields would 'belong' to the people of an independent Scotland." to me means Nationalisation, I may be wrong, but that is the way I read it. If it belongs to the Scottish People i.e, then it belongs to us, then that is Nationalisation. I wonder how the Independence lot could afford that??
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Squidge your own phrase "As many of the oil fields are in what would be, indeed what are already identified as Scottish waters then those oil fields would 'belong' to the people of an independent Scotland." to me means Nationalisation, I may be wrong, but that is the way I read it. If it belongs to the Scottish People i.e, then it belongs to us, then that is Nationalisation. I wonder how the Independence lot could afford that??
    I have already explained my own point of view. I see no plans for nationalisation of oil - do you? If so where? Or is this yet another tiresome and pointless excercise in dissection which just serves to cloud issues and avoid sensible debate. What exactly are you asking me? If it is "are there SNP plans to nationalise oil after independence" i would answer "No" is that good enough for you

This is boring. Can we get back to bigotry and abuse please?

If the oil fields fall in waters which belong to an Independent orkney and Shetland then that is the way it is.
    oh so suddenly the biggest and most often quoted reason for backing Independence IE "Scotland's oil revenue" suddenly loses its importance if it becomes "Shetland and Orkney's oil revenue"

As many of the oil fields are in what would be, indeed what are already identified as Scottish waters then those oil fields would 'belong' to the people of an independent Scotland.
    Did you mean to say "depleted oil fields"?

Have I ever said that oil is MY reason for voting for Independence? You asked ME and I answered you with MY view. Oil is Important. Its not likely that Orkney and Shetland would ask for a referendum on Independence and be answered with "Aye - on ya go" There would be much negotiation and work to try to dissuade them from this action.

However Equus, in a fair and sensible society IF Orkney and Shetland decided to ask for a referendum and got one - which might take some sort of referendum to decide whether they should have a question on Independence (after all they are not a country in their own right and will not have an election to elect a government which will give a mandate to hold a referendum) and then vote for independence then the SAME RULES would apply to dividing assets and liabilities for Orkney and Shetland as apply to Scotland.

Why would you think that it would be any different?

Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post
    Did you mean to say "depleted oil fields"?
    erm.......... no

Oil is Important
    it seems its importance depends on "if we are buying or selling"
    There would be much negotiation and work to try to dissuade them from this action.
    why are they "too wee" "too poor" or "too stupid"
    Why would you think that it would be any different?
    When did I say it would?

You know what Equus Im not being drawn into your endless and pointless posts on semantics. Take what you like from my posts. If you have any sensible things to discuss fine but in the meantime On ya go honey - Im away to do something important.
    Last edited by squidge; 27-Aug-13 at 22:51.

You know what Equus Im not being drawn into your endless and pointless posts on semantics. Take what you like from my posts. If you have any sensible things to discuss fine but in the meantime On ya go honey - Im away to do something important.
    so really you want to preach and dictate not debate and discuss

Based on what?
    Scotland can afford to be independent without the revenue from oil.

based on a variety of information. Firstly Oil is a massive bonus and we should be delighted that we have the prospect of revenues from oil, but our economy is not based on oil, its based on many other things like Scotland's food and drink industry, whisky and tourism. I have talked about this before.

Scotland having generated more tax per head than the UK for every one of the last 30 years
    * Our world-class food and drink industry which is seeing rising exports and the most recent annual turnover of £12.4 billion
    * Our thriving creative industries which are recognised throughout the world and have an annual turnover of £4.8 billion
    * Our global reputation in life sciences and an annual turnover of £2.9 billion
    * Our oil and gas industry, which is seeing record investment and which, in 2011, contributed £26bn to Scotland’s GDP and boosted the UK balance of payments by £40bn.
    * Our green energy reserves, with an estimated 25 per cent of Europe’s tidal and offshore wind resources.
    * Our tourism industry which employs almost 200,000 people
    * Our manufacturing sector, which exported £14.7bn in 2011
    If you add to this information that the 2011-2012 GERs figures show that Scotland has 8.4% of the UK population and we receive 9.3% of UK public spending to run our services. However Scotland generates 9.9% of UK taxes (up from 9.6% the previous year).

If I can refer you to this document http://scotland.gov.uk/Resource/0042/00422987.pdf

This offers an interesting and eminently readable view of the Scottish Economy.

Scotland has contributed more per head in taxes than the rest of the UK in each of the last thirty years. Scotland's wealth per head of the population is 99% of the rest of the UK and it leads the way in inward investment and the economy is growing.

So why do we think Scotland cant afford Independence?

Quote Originally Posted by equusdriving View Post
    so really you want to preach and dictate not debate and discuss
    Ill refer you here

http://forum.caithness.org/showthrea...pendence/page4

and here

http://forum.caithness.org/showthrea...pendance/page3

Im not squabbling over semantics with you Equus

Ill respond to your posts with answers to questions you ask but as soon as you start being a numpty and picking at words and their meaning Im off.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast