Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Nor Scot

Default Nor Scot

Oil rich Norway. Population 4.9 million,independent and prosperous.
    Oil rich Scotland. Population 5.2 million, too wee, too poor, too stupid.
    Think Independence, and please no one reply with so we are, or some other bitchy remark. Show your maturity.

I don't understand the question / statement so cannot reply maturely or otherwise.

With respect. With maturity.
    This is, if I can even hope to grasp the mentality, a banal statement.

Comparing a possible future (semi quasi) Independent Scotland with a long established sovereign state, and then trying to bargain 50 years of known returns against a future of... well..... literally, anyone's best guess sales pitch and arse smoke blowing routine is fruitless.

Given your post, and the timing v frequency of prevous posts: Piratelassie, I suspect you may be a drunken Alex Salmond 'research' assistant / intern. And therfore, in effect, a troll.

But, always entertaining.

To base your facts on oil, Scotland would have been better going solo at the beginning of the oil boom, not the end.
    Norway have been stashing funds into their oil fund since their indistry has kicked off and has a value in the region of $750 billion.
    This will stanf them in good stead for the future.
    What do we have??
    W.A.T.P.

Quote Originally Posted by piratelassie View Post
    Scotland. Population 5.2 million, too wee,
    Yes, Scottish people are not as tall as Norwegians.

Think Independence, Show your maturity.
    I have thought long and hard and am still going to vote NO, does that make me immature?
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    To base your facts on oil, Scotland would have been better going solo at the beginning of the oil boom, not the end.
    Norway have been stashing funds into their oil fund since their indistry has kicked off and has a value in the region of $750 billion.
    This will stanf them in good stead for the future.
    What do we have??
    Aye, maybe if the Westminster Govt. (Labour and Tory) hadn't lied about the oil we might have taken the step sooner .

"One month after former Labour Chancellor Denis Healey admitted that his party had underplayed the value of Scottish oil in the 1970s, new research has revealed that during the same period the Conservatives failed to honour a pledge to set up an oil fund. In the October 1974 General Election, the Conservative manifesto promised that the UK government would create an oil fund for Scotland should the party be returned to power."

"Some of the conclusions the report makes about an independent Scotland include:

• The country would tend to be in chronic surplus to a quite embarrassing degree and its currency would become the hardest in Europe…
    • An exchange rate of £1 Scots to 120p sterling within two years of independence therefore seems quite probable.
    • Thus, for the first time since the Act of Union was passed, it can now be credibly argued that Scotland’s economic advantage lies in its repeal.
    • Britain is now counting so heavily on North Sea oil to redress its balance of payments that it is easy to imagine R-UK in dire straits without it."

From -http://www.newsnetscotland.com/index.php/referendum/7597-more-evidence-that-scots-were-misled-over-oil-by-successive-uk-governments

Plus - http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/how-black-gold-was-hijacked-north-sea-oil-and-the-betrayal-of-scotland-518697.html
    Last edited by PantsMAN; 25-Aug-13 at 10:28.

Oil rich Norway. Population 4.9 million,independent and prosperous.
    Oil rich Scotland. Population 5.2 million, too wee, too poor, too stupid.
    Think Independence, and please no one reply with so we are, or some other bitchy remark. Show your maturity.
    Just a thought, have you ever considered using actual relevant applicable facts to back voting yes, instead of the immature bitchy anti British/English drivel you spout? as I feel this type of bile is more likely to encourage people to vote No, rather than put all our futures in the hands of such hate filled bigots as yourself, who cannot see the future because they insist on dwelling in the past

Quote Originally Posted by equusdriving View Post
    Just a thought, have you ever considered using actual relevant applicable facts to back voting yes, instead of the immature bitchy anti British/English drivel you spout? as I feel this type of bile is more likely to encourage people to vote No, rather than put all our futures in the hands of such hate filled bigots as yourself, who cannot see the future because they insist on dwelling in the past
    I can't see where posting facts comes under the aegis of hate-filled bigotry? Okay, he/she may have been whistling in the wind when asking for no bitchy remarks in response to the post but, thank God, you never let us down.

An interesting comparison....

With Orkney and Shetland still arguably being Norwegian / Danish (some say that for a mere 50,000 florins, Norway could reclaim Orkney / Shetland after pledging them for that amount in 1468), and much of "Scotlands" oil being in waters off Orkney and Shetland, then Scotland in the traditional sense, doesnt really have very much oil to shout about anyway. And that was at the beginning of the oil boom in the 1970's, not now when its finished!

Pirate Lassie has once more drawn attention to how it should really be.....

Oil rich Norway. Population 4,942,000,independent and prosperous.
    No Oil Scotland. Population 5,158,000, too wee, too poor, too stupid.

Folks up here are getting more and more suspicious of the Neverendum and the claims of "Scotlands Oil", when all those in Edinburgh and Glasgow are about as remote from oil and petroleum as you can get. I am sure they would even get very het up if there was a suggestion of fracking on Sachiehall or Princes streets, and would be out campaigning against it.

So, Pirate Lassie, what will an independent Scotland give us in exchange for Orkney and Shetlands oil?

After the Edinburgh tram scheme, fracking on Princes St would be a breath of fresh air.

Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post
    An interesting comparison....

With Orkney and Shetland still arguably being Norwegian / Danish (some say that for a mere 50,000 florins, Norway could reclaim Orkney / Shetland after pledging them for that amount in 1468),
    I think they could claim all they like. Neither Britain's nor Scotland's government would give them the islands.

Maybe then, any Orcadians or Shelties could make random postings on here, generally late in the evenings after a few sherries, making some exaggerated claims about how badly we are off up here as a result of having Scottish rule imposed on us?

Maybe then, any Orcadians or Shelties could make random postings on here, generally late in the evenings after a few sherries, making some exaggerated claims about how badly we are off up here as a result of having Scottish rule imposed on us?
    Freedom and whisky gang thegither!

Quote Originally Posted by Humerous Vegetable View Post
    I can't see where posting facts comes under the aegis of hate-filled bigotry?
    no I don't suppose you can , considering your use of "incomers" In your previous posts

So, Pirate Lassie, what will an independent Scotland give us in exchange for Orkney and Shetlands oil?
    no you don't understand , its perfectly ok for an Independent Scotland to treat Orkney and Shetland, the same way that these pro-independence hypocrites are constantly whining about how the Uk government treat Scotland

What are you talking about? To mention that Scotland would be oil rich is nothing to do with the past.And dont refer to me as a hate filled bigot.
    Quote Originally Posted by equusdriving View Post

dont refer to me as a hate filled bigot.
    why does the truth hurt? and I see you have diverted away from the question you was asked, what a surprise

To mention that Scotland would be oil rich is nothing to do with the past.
    So where, exactly, in the Central Belt (a misnomer if ever there was given that its nearly at the bottom....) is all this oil?

And taking Scotland as a whole (including the Northern Isles), where is all this oil, given that its nearly finished? Even in the "oil rich North", the Flotta oil terminal and Scapa Flow are quiet backwaters compared to what it used to be - Maybe a tanker a month if you are lucky, compared to the numerous ones every week 35 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by sids View Post
    I think they could claim all they like. Neither Britain's nor Scotland's government would give them the islands.
    I disagree.

If a referendum to stay in the UK was held in the northern isles, I'm sure the British government would listen.

The MP for Shetland has already mentioned this posibility in the event of Scottish independence.
    Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; Nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.

- Charles de Gaulle

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast