Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Help to identify a bird

Default Help to identify a bird

Not quick enough for a photo but I will do my best to describe. It was the size of a small crow, dark grey with a squarish head. A chunky sort of thing. It had whitish bars on it's breast and a white bar across the tail feathers. Nearest I could find was a cuckoo but I don't think it was. Was sitting on the hedge apparently eating bees! Anyone any clues? Thanks

it most likely was I have seen a few this year

http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdidentifier/ Try this and see if you can find your bird.

Thanks, I have never seen a cuckoo before and thought the grey colour was wrong somehow

Quote Originally Posted by Ballymore View Post
    http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdidentifier/ Try this and see if you can find your bird.
    I did try that with no luck but I will try again in case I did something wrong. Thanks

Great Grey Shrike?
    Have a look on google and see if the images match what you saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricanna View Post
    Not quick enough for a photo but I will do my best to describe. It was the size of a small crow, dark grey with a squarish head. A chunky sort of thing. It had whitish bars on it's breast and a white bar across the tail feathers. Nearest I could find was a cuckoo but I don't think it was. Was sitting on the hedge apparently eating bees! Anyone any clues? Thanks
    It could have been a female Sparrowhawk, was it similar to the bird in the photo below.

Sparrowhawk female at nest with young.

nirofo.