Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Surnames

Default Surnames

I am searching my Grandmothers roots and I am finding it interesting and somewhat fun, I have found Omans in Halkirk, butI am wondering if it is possible to go into anything older than 1841 census, My grandmother was Ellen Milroy Sim Munro, her mother was Charlotte Robb Oman, her mothers Father was James Oman and his father was John Oman, what I am finding helpful is that they used family surnames as middle names I have found a Sim but and maybe a Robb but the Munro side is harder many many Munro's and they were from the Arbroath area so I am hoping to find more there if I find a Milroy hopefully I will be on the right track, what I am wondering is there a better way to search than ancestry.com has anyone researched the Omans of Halkirk Sibster I believe, wish I could put faces to these names I have 1 pic of James Oman any help would be appreciated
    thank you

Scotlands people is a wonderful site for information, although you will need to buy credits but I have found its well worth while. The north highland archives maybe able to help you as well. If you have specific information you want you can email them. good luck Jan

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
    I am searching my Grandmothers roots and I am finding it interesting and somewhat fun, I have found Omans in Halkirk, butI am wondering if it is possible to go into anything older than 1841 census, My grandmother was Ellen Milroy Sim Munro, her mother was Charlotte Robb Oman, her mothers Father was James Oman and his father was John Oman, what I am finding helpful is that they used family surnames as middle names I have found a Sim but and maybe a Robb but the Munro side is harder many many Munro's and they were from the Arbroath area so I am hoping to find more there if I find a Milroy hopefully I will be on the right track, what I am wondering is there a better way to search than ancestry.com has anyone researched the Omans of Halkirk Sibster I believe, wish I could put faces to these names I have 1 pic of James Oman any help would be appreciated
    thank you
    The surname Oman originated in the northern isles - Orkney and Shetland. For free to view web sites go to FREECEN and FREEREG. Also an interesting site is www.cursiter.com - OPR births and marriages from Orkney in particular, sorted by surname.

Rosemary