Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Edge of the World Festival 1997

just a random question being fired out here, u know as u do

why is it not at the dammie this year?

rather good location... or is cause the noise levels around houses? was rather crazzy when u go up til the shoppy and u cud hear the drums echo smackin of the houses! hahaha

sighs* memorys..
    Big Imagination For Feeling Young Cause Life Yearns Real Optimism

Quote Originally Posted by K dragon View Post
    woah woah, its not scrabster. its right across from bt. across the road from where the banger derby is held.
    I'm pretty confident that's Scrabster farm. That's certainly where they hold the County Show. I could be wrong though!

well its a good few year ago i mean.
    i havent been to the show in ages.

its where i remember it being held last.

oh yeah,

the reason for it being in the field is

A: the houses

B: we are charging at the gate this year, so proceeds can go to a better concert next year.

C:secuirity reasons (e.g. the river at dammies)

if anyone has any better local locations then please do suggest them.

Chaps,
    I'm soooooo glad to be having nothing to do with this sort of event. You've made me feel so good about jacking in the EOTW organisation. (We donated our remaining £4,500 bank balance to Caithness FM).

The staggering sheep like mind set of the typical Thurso punter - Off to skins (for the 43rd time this year no doubt!!) No adventurism.

Option 1 (pessimistic): I strongly recommend K Dragon to just through in the towel now. It’s obviously a waste of time trying to put on a good show. As you say Jeid - it’s obviously not professional anyway and will never compete.

Option 2 (Optimistic): Walk before you can run . . . . Stay at the Dammie location (or near the Youth Club), run on a shoe string budget for 3 or 4 years, develop your skills and reputation - THEN move out to Scrabster when you have the resources and experience (Aim mainly at the tourist market - bypass the locals, they won't support you anyway) - This is the strategy that EOTW tried (TTIA scuppered this wonderful plan fairly sucessfully unfortunately).

Anyway, enough of my rant for now. I'll be there to support what ever comes along (where ever it's held). I won't be going to Skins afterwards.

PS: The riding school venue is a joke. Played there once on the back of a lorry. Was it ever dusty and the acoustic of a railway station announcer. Truley up there in the dire venue league.
    All the world's a stage and we are merely players . . . . .
    For more visit: http://www.studiograff-photo.co.uk

Angry

for gods sake.

its not at dammies,

jesus, first you all dont like the layout of friday and saturday now your all having a go at venue, and jesus deemac whatever TTIA did with your gig thing quit throwing it at me and bringing it up, i had nothing to do with that.

see this is why i have outbursts.

the gig WILL go ahead.

if you choose to turn up or not its your decision.

end of matter, i have NOTHING more to say on it.

you want contact with me PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by K dragon View Post
    for gods sake.

its not at dammies,

jesus, first you all dont like the layout of friday and saturday now your all having a go at venue, and jesus deemac whatever TTIA did with your gig thing quit throwing it at me and bringing it up, i had nothing to do with that.

see this is why i have outbursts.

the gig WILL go ahead.

if you choose to turn up or not its your decision.

end of matter, i have NOTHING more to say on it.

you want contact with me PM me.
    K Dragon,
    Here speaks a man of experience and in control of his emotions!! I'm only pointing out some potential, previous (similar event) pitfalls.

But hey, - your in charge. Do it your own way (mine failed anyway, so what do I know?) I do suggest that your attitude needs some serious adjusting. This being a public forum it doesn't paint a good picture of your temperament to deliver the goods or take some constructive criticism or advice.

I promise not to mention EOTW in context with your event again.

Chill . . . . .

Unhappy

i can take cronstructive,

but this just seems destructive at times, and i have mentioned that i am taking all this in.

my attitude is fine, its what gets the job done.

i have not disrespected anyone here so i cant see anything wrong with that.

midis comment was constructive and in a positive nature.

so was big boss (i think thats the name)

a community is supposed to back new fresh ideas, invite them with OPTIMISM (spelling?)

not a massive barrage of "this isnt a good idea" and "oh im glad im not part of this" especially from bands TAKING PART, and ones who asked us for a slot.

to me this is hurtful. im exceptionally passionate about music. i listen, and create it everyday of my life, and i would do anything to see it move just an inch more forward up here.

thats all.

but after all i have been through today.....just not sure its worth it.

I will be going as long as I am not working. Shift work can be a pest sometimes. I did not mean to start a argy bargy on here. I was just giving an opinion. I like live music and make an effort to go and see live music in the county. I have seen some cracking bands play to almost empty venues on many a time. It is a crying shame when you see a band giving it hell for leather for the punters to be almost ignoring the band and then going up for a dance when the interval music/disco comes on. I wanted to go to the eotw festival at scrabster but I couldnt manage for one reason or another. However the amount of folk that wouldnt take a chance and head out of the main pub circuit was unbelievable. Good luck to the Big Gig I hope you have every sucess. Just chill a bit or you will have a brain storm long before the event comes off.

Quote Originally Posted by Deemac View Post
    Option 1 (pessimistic): I strongly recommend K Dragon to just through in the towel now. It’s obviously a waste of time trying to put on a good show. As you say Jeid - it’s obviously not professional anyway and will never compete.
    What an utterly childish response. When was the last time you were on a night out? Where does pretty much everyone in this town end up regardless of any event? Aye, Skinandi's. There's one place to go(and you can only get in before 12). People talk with their feet.

Why was the Big Gig held on a Sunday last year? Oh yes... because it probably wouldn't compete with Skinandi's... that was what I was told by the man who ran last years event.

I never said the event wasn't professional enough... I said that T In The Park was a "professionally run event" and that's the reason people pay hundreds of pounds for tickets and travel.

You ran the EOTW, but you don't seem to be giving K Dragon a hope in hell of running this event. Your event flopped. Shame. But that's life. Instead of getting on his back about it all the time, you could be offering a bit more support.

It's possible that K Dragon has also taken a lot of my points as criticism, which I didn't intend. Sorry about that.

I hope this event runs as smoothly as K Dragon intends. I'm just raising my concerns about the out of town option. I'll play wherever, I don't mind. Just making points. I think it'd be better in the town. If it's out of town, that's where it is. Good luck K Dragon.

Tut, tut, tut,
    Yet another debate degrades to personal insults!!
    Jeid - you of all people should know better.

I can't think why you appear to have such a bias towards all things Skinandis? (center of the Thurso universe it appears).

Can you imagine that I may have had a great night out and not be drawn to this Mecca of creativity, talent, intellect and sophistication!!

I merely suggest in the context of a live music event, from my own previous experiences, some pitfalls for K Dragon to be wary of. He can take this advice or not, it makes no odds to me.

I gave K Dragon 2 options, both pessimistic and optimistic. Try and have a more balanced viewpoint in your own replies and less of the Skins hard sell. It gets rather tiring . . . . .

Hard sell on skins... haha... Last time I was there was before Xmas... and that was only cos we had a gig. I can't stand the place. Before that... I honestly couldn't rememeber. I never asked if YOU had been there, I asked where the majority of people end up? As sad as it is, people always go, every weekend.

Why should I know better? I, like you or anyone else on this message board are here for debate, anything you or I type is up for debate.

Could you point out my personal insult, cos I don't see one. I called your response childish, I didn't call YOU childish.

Yeah, you are giving advice, but nothing which I can see that's helpful.

Jeid,
    I suggest that to re-check the general tone of some of your responses regarding why you may appear to offend. You claim to be oblivious in this general area as well as absorbing any constructive advice points within a reply.

If my own input is seen or interpreted as negative or un-constructive, I apologies. It is not my intention.

My tone? Erm, and what tone are you hearing exactly? It's text.

Things can easily be mis-interpreted. You should know that... especially since K Dragon seems to have taken a lot of "flack" from you in the past. (It may or may not have been intended that way... hence the inverted commas)

Perhaps I have an aggressive style of response, but I do love a heated debate. Seems everyone just cries about them these days. Boo hoo.

... in other news Humpty Dumpty had a great fall. All the King's horses and all the King's men are trying their best to put him back together again.

Book Them And They Will Come

I'm late to this debate!

Big gig on the dammies was great, good music, good fun, weather could have been better but didn't spoil the mood.

Moving out of town would be a bad decision in my opinion. People would walk to the dammies (especially from the pubs), Viewfirth, maybe even the high school fields. Ask them to walk the same distance past the weigh inn and they won't.

I'd rather see a show finishing at 10pm in the town than one after midnight outside. Nothing attracts a crowd like a crowd, and I don't think you'd get a great deal from outside the music scene attending a gig at scrabster farm.

The "big" Edge of the world, as I remember it was a disaster. I hope this doesn't happen again. Thurso is sorely lacking a music scene as it is. I worry any good done from last years big gig will be lost by any moves to change its format.

Please prove me wrong.

The Big Gig© The deluded one.

Quote Originally Posted by theone View Post
    Moving out of town would be a bad decision in my opinion. People would walk to the dammies (especially from the pubs), Viewfirth, maybe even the high school fields. Ask them to walk the same distance past the weigh inn and they won't.
    And that's basically the bottom line.

Quote Originally Posted by theone View Post
    I'd rather see a show finishing at 10pm in the town than one after midnight outside. Nothing attracts a crowd like a crowd, and I don't think you'd get a great deal from outside the music scene attending a gig at scrabster farm.
    Absolutely. A 10pm finish in town and everyone (except the musos ) can still off to Skins like we all know they want to anyway.

And let's face it - is the gig to be just for the musos or for the average punter?
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

well like i keep saying people, cant hold it at dammies due to the river and the hassle last year.

also too many entry points.

so if anyone has a better idea of where to hold it then please say,

i have mentioned that a few times and i have had ONE response.

so please write an opinion on where it should be held, bearing in mind about entry points and safety issues.

we have to charge for entry this year (not much folks, just a pound or two)
    because the profit we make this year can go to a better one next year.

thanks.

Plenty of places could be suggested - Viewfirth field (with a competitively priced beer tent perhaps?), Millbank field (between the swimming pool and the Park hotel), there are fields at the High School, or how about even closing off the town square and having it at the same place as the Hogmany open air gig? All these just off the top o' ma heid, remember.

Your point about entry points doesn't hold up though, as all you need to do is police them properly.
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

what about the place down by the beach and the surf shop is

if the surfers are up time it round them maby and have it down by the tempest!

u know like were them toilets are facinf towords the fish shop
    Big Imagination For Feeling Young Cause Life Yearns Real Optimism

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast