Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Edge of the World Festival 1997

Default Edge of the World Festival 1997

Thought you all might like to see an edited highlight of the last Edge of the World Festival (1997) created by Gavin Lockhart. I think most of the backing music is by the Peatbog Faeries. (Headline act on the Saturday). It's all very arty . . . .

All this was nicely killed by Thurso Town Improvements Association (TTIA) when they moved their chosen gala date to the same date as EOTW's with 6 weeks notice. (How considerate I thought at the time!!)

Anyway, it was make or break that year and died due to public apathy (as well as mine). Hope the Big Gig at the dammies fairs much better (at least they have TTIA on their side this time . . . . . . . )

I'll post some other stuff in the future.

See link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqTiyE57PAU
    All the world's a stage and we are merely players . . . . .
    For more visit: http://www.studiograff-photo.co.uk

big gig isnt at the dammies this year.

Where is it then?

not definate yet but the field where the county show used to be held

Is that where the EOTW festival moved too? In my opinion which might be a lot of crap by the way. The out of town location was not a good move for it. A lot less people just dropped by for a look compared to when it was on viewfirth park.

Quote Originally Posted by K dragon View Post
    not definate yet but the field where the county show used to be held
    I sense a possible bad move

Have to agree with NFJB & Jeid - I was disappointed that I couldn't make it to the last one, but wouldn't contemplate going if it was at county show field.

Yes, your right, this is the same location as the EOTW festival. We spent a considerable amount of money installing an enormous capacity power supply (I believe its still there). We had BIG plans . . . . .

This location was chosen as we didn't want to be restricted by local neighbours complaining about noise/disturbance levels after 10pm (fair enough). Also we wanted much more control by fencing off the whole festival site so punters actually paid to get in!! (How novel a concept - actually PAYING for entertainment) Development of camping/sideshows etc. was also another plan.

None of this was available at the previous Viewfirth site (or for that matter any site within the Town).

I find it a rather pathetic excuss that either a good going walk or a short taxi ride away was all that was asked for for people to attend. Most of these same people don't bat an eyelid at travelling 600 miles round trip to see T in the Park or the likes!!

Just how lazy are you?

Yes, the casual punter is excluded - but they don't pay for anything anyway. If it isn't between Skinandis and the Comm you can't be bothered!!!!

These sort of events are very expensive to put on (at this level of production). It cost EOTW £15,000 to stage a 2 day event in 1997 (10 years ago). All of the local bands also played for free. Ask the Country Festival people what their event costs to run?

K Dragon, I again wish you well and every success with your plans. But if this sort of attitude prevails you are in for a struggle. (No wonder The Orkney Islands are so much better at this sort of event)
    All the world's a stage and we are merely players . . . . .
    For more visit: http://www.studiograff-photo.co.uk

i personally didnt think it was too far out of town. there are no other locations that give a decent size. there was a suggestion to hold it WAY out in thurso east. also as deemac mentioned there are less red tape matters to deal with.

I'm not a huge music fan, although I had hoped to go last year. Being conveniently located or a taxi trip away could be the difference between people (who are not really into music in a big way) going or not.

If you look at previous threads regarding county shows, you will notice that people prefer the wick location as it is better located. Its a fact of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Deemac View Post
    I find it a rather pathetic excuss that either a good going walk or a short taxi ride away was all that was asked for for people to attend. Most of these same people don't bat an eyelid at travelling 600 miles round trip to see T in the Park or the likes!!

Just how lazy are you?

Yes, the casual punter is excluded - but they don't pay for anything anyway. If it isn't between Skinandis and the Comm you can't be bothered!!!!
    I think ruling out any sort of punter isn't the way to be running an event. If you want an event to be a success, every possible punter should be taken into consideration... even the lazy ones.

Ok, people travel 600miles to T In The Park... but it's a professionally run festival with top acts performing every year. No offence to any of the bands, but the Big Gig isn't offering anything like the sort of acts that T In The Park is.

Money isn't everything at the end of the day.

The event is going to be running on a Friday and Saturday... I'm not saying that people won't stay, but this is Thurso... people WILL LEAVE to go to Skinandi's/any pub in town.

I think we need to get a grip on reality just now.

As a good friend said to me not too long ago

"It frustrates us all that folk won't walk a minimal distance or pay a minimal fee for entertainment but it's a fact that we have to put up with"

Quote Originally Posted by henry20 View Post
    I'm not a huge music fan, although I had hoped to go last year. Being conveniently located or a taxi trip away could be the difference between people (who are not really into music in a big way) going or not.

If you look at previous threads regarding county shows, you will notice that people prefer the wick location as it is better located. Its a fact of life.
    I think this post pretty much sums up what I was saying in my last post.

Cool

well would you all rather it wasnt on so you could go to the pub and skins?

you have a choice to either go or stay.

heres the reality i see.

its a gig.

to raise money for the town.

just five minutes out of town.

friday for young.

saturday for old.

you have a choice to stay at home or go.

you have a choice to go to skins or pub.

we supply the music the drink and food.

you either bring your bottom or not.

what about inside that place behind the football park in Halkirk, i think that may be what your on about ( were they hold the KnashVill Country things ) , Ive played 3 gigs in there. The sound is immence ( very echoy, but on stage ure fine ) when we got a decent sound guy, and if you have booked the same guy as you had for Big Gig one, i can garenteeeee a brillaint sound, worked with the man himself. Playing Live with and Him doin my bands sound!

Never fails to create a great sound!

nah fear, thee Chobbers is ere, thats what i said.!... lol ( thats if u have him this year )

* im not shur if the stage ive played on is a perminate fixture in the buildin. might of been the peoples who ran it!. *

but can u immagin the MOSH that could go on inside there!.... WOW
    Big Imagination For Feeling Young Cause Life Yearns Real Optimism

I don't think you need to tell people who read this forum that.

I think the points made were that Joe Public might not make the same effort to go to a gig if it was out of the town a little. I'm pretty confident that the majority of folk who read and contribute to the music threads understand the difficulties in getting the general public to attend gigs in the town never mind out of town, believe me, I do!

Don't get me wrong, with the right technical set-up, line up of bands, amenities, advertising and price you probably will attract a decent audience to the outskirts of Thurso for a gig but, all folk are saying is that, it is a risk.

All the best for it though K Dragon. I'm sure you know what you're doing and hope you prove yourself.

For an organiser... you take things right to heart. It's constructive criticism. I'm raising my points and if you want to take them as digs, well, that's up to you. Read between the lines. If I wanted to criticise... I could be a lot harsher.

I want the event to be a success, hence my concern about the possible lack of attendance by holding the event out of town.

5mins out of town could be the difference between a good event and a mediocre event.

People will all go to the pub or skins regardless. Perhaps not everyone... but I'm pretty sure a good lot of people will.

Rapsons buses...

??

rent like two buses to go to were ever halkirk place i was onabout for example every hour or sutin?

Quote Originally Posted by zebedy View Post
    what about inside that place behind the football park in Halkirk, i think that may be what your on about ( were they hold the KnashVill Country things ) , Ive played 3 gigs in there. The sound is immence ( very echoy, but on stage ure fine ) when we got a decent sound guy, and if you have booked the same guy as you had for Big Gig one, i can garenteeeee a brillaint sound, worked with the man himself. Playing Live with and Him doin my bands sound!

Never fails to create a great sound!

nah fear, thee Chobbers is ere, thats what i said.!... lol ( thats if u have him this year )

* im not shur if the stage ive played on is a perminate fixture in the buildin. might of been the peoples who ran it!. *

but can u immagin the MOSH that could go on inside there!.... WOW

I've been to the event Zebedy and you're right, it is some size, and in my opinion, too big for the type of event planned at this early a stage in it's existence.

The Northern Nashville have got a great club and ALOT of members. They are also able to attract decent names in country music due to the success of their club and the large amounts of money they are able to pay. It's a big place to fill and lack of bodies would make for a very poor atmosphere!

Also, if they won't go to Scrabster, why would they go to Halkirk?

very vaild point made there Bossman, Never seen it without the Northern Kashvill shiz set up inside, them three gig me playin were all the country things!

yee ha, playin it again this year..

all the big shots come over to u and like " Hey Kids How goes it? " hahaha Great fun with out band mentor John newton <-- the one and only! haha
    my hero! lol

woah woah, its not scrabster. its right across from bt. across the road from where the banger derby is held.

i didnt take it to heart.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast