Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Censoring the interweby

Having influence over your content is very different from arbitrary censorship of the entire web. Bill et al have control over the content of the .Org, this could be perceived as censorship by some. But it is only enforced in this bit of the web, people are free to go off and post / publish 'censored' content elsewhere.

I own a couple of websites, the content is dictated by me, if I don't like it I don't post it, censorship if you like. But only on my bit of the web.

Well, suffice it to say that the www is not the jolly carefree environment some seem to think it is. It is run by big business and used by governments for their own benefit. Expecting them to leave it alone is a none starter. Time and again, people left to there own devices cannot be trusted. Look how many fat people get tattoos!

And for those of you who are very clever and think they can keep stuff to themselves, just remember, there is always someone cleverer and they work for people that drive in big black cars.
    Last edited by ducati; 31-Jul-13 at 18:25.

Quote Originally Posted by ducati View Post
    Not Northcliffe, another business within the group. I used to do business with them.

I'm sure there are many more examples of big global business having influence over the content available on the internet. Fox for instance are a multi-channel media business that many of you may be concerned about.
    What's the name of the other company within the group?

Quote Originally Posted by secrets in symmetry View Post
    What's the name of the other company within the group?
    PMd you

I believe that any censorship of the internet by any government should be opposed: as has been stated on this forum by several people, it is the last free place in the world to air your views and opinions regardless of whether or not they are accepted. Censorship by the government is an attempt by them to impose their control over the populous. I as a parent may decide to censor internet content that I believe to be inappropriate for my children to watch. I believe that is my responsibility not the governments. I believe the real reason for censorship is to make it more difficult for the populous to expose government propaganda. The internet is an excellent educational tool, it allows people to make in some cases unbiased decisions based on the information received. I believe it has exposed many government cover ups, and since the advent of the internet, governments have been embarrassed on more occasions than at any other time in their history. Government has the power to silence the main stream media in this country, they should have no say on internet content coming from other countries. Leave the internet alone. Censorship should be down to the individual, if you don't want to view something then don't.

Well, suffice it to say that the www is not the jolly carefree environment some seem to think it is. It is run by big business and used by governments for their own benefit. Expecting them to leave it alone is a none starter. Time and again, people left to there own devices cannot be trusted. Look how many fat people get tattoos! And for those of you who are very clever and think they can keep stuff to themselves, just remember, there is always someone cleverer and they work for people that drive in big black cars.
    You clearly don't understand the Internet.Companies own, run,and control websites on the Internet, they do not own, run, or control the Internet.
    Radical, Man!

Quote Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
    You clearly don't understand the Internet.Companies own, run,and control websites on the Internet, they do not own, run, or control the Internet.
    Indeed. That's how and why it works so well.

Which bit do I not understand? All the servers are not in someone's bedroom are they? The infrastructure wasn't set up by children was it. It is powered primarily by enterprise software designed and marketed by? Security is provided by?

Some servers are in people's bedrooms, or generally offices. Security is provided by the Chinese, and they only censor heir own stuff.
    I access two servers in two different locations around the globe. I have accessed both of these from different locations on the globe and looking at the logs, everything is available and is being accessed globally.
    However that will no doubt change in the UK very soon.

The interesting bit is, the peer to peer stuff. That is in kids bedrooms, or on Paedo's desktops and that will not be censored and will still be bouncing its way around the Internet.
    How is that protecting the children?
    Last edited by Phill; 02-Aug-13 at 15:05. Reason: Putting in the spaces Safari removes.

Which bit do I not understand? All the servers are not in someone's bedroom are they? The infrastructure wasn't set up by children was it. It is powered primarily by enterprise software designed and marketed by? Security is provided by?
    The Internet has no security, the infrastructure was mainly previously existing telecommunications, which is upgraded to keep up with demand. But the builders do not control traffic on it any more than the builders of the M25 control who drives on it.Security is either on your computer or provided by your ISP.You are still confusing ISPs, websites, browsers, search engines etc. with the Internet. They are different things.
    Radical, Man!

The Internet has no security, the infrastructure was mainly previously existing telecommunications, which is upgraded to keep up with demand. But the builders do not control traffic on it any more than the builders of the M25 control who drives on it.Security is either on your computer or provided by your ISP.You are still confusing ISPs, websites, browsers, search engines etc. with the Internet. They are different things.
    Whatever dude.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123