Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Cases from yesterday's sheriff court session

Default Cases from yesterday's sheriff court session

Man banned from contacting ex.
    A MAN, who was found guilty of cyberspace stalking his former girlfriend, was banned by the local court yesterday from having any contact with her.
    Sheriff Andrew Berry imposed a non-harassment order on Michael Grierson for a period of two years.
    Grierson, 52, had previously denied sending a series of "unwelcome" e-mail and internet messages to his ex-girlfriend, Debbie Bain, between October 12, and January 10, this year, but was found guilty after a trial.
    The hearing, at Wick Sheriff Court, was told that Grierson, of Brackside, Reay, found it difficult to come to terms with the break-up of the relationship and continued sending her messages. The problem came to a head with Ms Bain sending him a message, accusing him of stalking her and urging him to "get on with your life and leave me alone".
    She underlined the position in a further e-mail, telling Grierson: "You have been particularly vile to me and I want nothing more to do with you."
    Finding Grierson guilty Sheriff Berry took the opportunity to clarify the legal definition of stalking which he said was "not confined to someone wearing a cloak coming out of the shadows to follow a person".
    The legislation did not, he said, necessarily need to include a threatening element and only required the sending of two or more electronic messages to constitute an offence.
    In addition to the non-harrassment order, Grierson was made subject to a year-long supervision order, during which he will be duty bound to take advice on relationships and alcohol issues. Correction- Mr Grierson has asked me to point out that it was he who sent Ms Bain the e-mails "you have been particularly vile to me" and "I want nothing more to do with you." He tells me he also sent her an e-mail "Please stop stalking me". I apologise for the errors.

Legal agreement possible in fatal accident trial
    THE court was told that the trial of a local man, accused of causing the death of a motor cyclist by careless driving, might not be as lengthy as it first appeared. The accused, Anthony Palmer, 57, is alleged to have failed to keep a proper lookout and turned into the path of the motor cyclist on the A99, at Borrowston, near Wick, on April 28, last year, resulting in a collision which claimed the life of Brent Larnach.
    Sheriff Andrew Berry was told that there was a substantial amount of evidence capable of agreement between the prosecution and defence which could result in a significant reduction in the witness list.
    Palmer, of 11 Malcolm Street, Wick, who denies the charge, was on abroad when the case first called , last month, but was present in the dock yesterday and was informed that a further update on trial preparations will be given to the court on August 22.

Brandished pole
    A MAN who made an unsuccessful attempt to return to the family home where he was not welcome, ended up causing a disturbance.
    Kevin Gunn, 41, admitted threatening or abusive behaviour at the house at 11 Northview, Wick, and was given a six-months good behaviour bond.
    He argued with his brother George, on April 7, and, after "things got out of hand", and shouted at him while brandishing a metal pole.

AND FINALLY... it must rate as a record for brevity in a criminal trial which was over and done in a matter of minutes. John Sunter entered the witness box to give evidence in an allegation that he was assaulted by his partner, at a house in Clett Terrace, Scrabster on April 6. Dana Lakie denied throwing a mobile phone at him.
    Mr Sunter was asked by David Barclay, prosecuting: "You are here today regarding an allegation that the accused assaulted you."
    Mr Sunter:"I have no recollection of that at all."
    Mr Barclay: "You are on oath and required to tell the truth."
    Mr Sunter: " Yes, but I have no recollection of an assault taking place."
    Mr Barclay then informed Sheriff Berry that he was no longer seeking a conviction.
    The sheriff then formally found Lakie, 27, of Coronation Place, Castletown, not guilty of the charge.

Last edited by Nwicker60; 27-Jul-13 at 08:33.